Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
Looks a beast, congrats and enjoy

Registered
Does the engine cover literally just pull up and off? Mine is slightly off centre and needs repositioning but don't want to start pulling at it incase there are fixings under.
Yep it just pulls off. Quite a few members including myself have taken the cover off completely

Firm Rampant Member
Wasn't thinking of anything ostentatious. Your initials perhaps. I have one because it gets the age/year off the car.
And hey, that car is going to attract attention wherever you park it. Stand back and wallow. :cool:
improperly spaced lettering and digits get my goat

Reactions: PeteA

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the other comments and well wishes.

The cooled seats were something I was truly grateful for having yesterday driving back up the M5 in 30 degree heat. The pics I posted were taken today after I got up at 5am to lightly polish and seal the paint. When I got home yesterday she was absolutely plastered in flies.

Ive had some nice cars in the past such as the evo, an M3, recently a bmw 440i in purple silk and the mperformance carbon fibre styling which made it really in your face styling wise, but none feel like as much of an event going out as this xfr. Its just on another level. Im also so relived to get rid of the 440i I had. as beautiful it was, it attracted way too much attention and all it caused me was stress and worry that it would be vandalised. so it spent as much time as possible in my garage locked away. It's a relief to have something much less lary looking.

Registered
that's a nice portfolio
but the xfr is still as desirable and I would be giving it the same treatment as your 440i

Registered
Congratulations on your new beast. As others have said put it in dynamic mode (the chequered flag button behind the gear rotary) and this sharpens it up a lot. I drive it most of the time in this mode. The S holds on to gears longer but I prefer the paddles for spirited driving!

Reactions: MyIRRCat

Registered

Registered
ah ok, I see. So if I was to drive slow in D all the time for say 2 weeks, not taking it over 2,000 rpm but then have to floor it to overtake for example will it take a lot longer for the car to respond, than if I had previously floored it several times over them 2 weeks? Does the car learn your driving style and remember this long term is what I mean if that makes sense?

Also do these engines suffer excessive carbon deposits if driven slowly a lot?
Nah, not two weeks more like two hours!
The gearbox learns and adapts to your driving style quite quickly, so even after two weeks of tootling it only takes an hour or so of "spirited" driving to wake it up.
With the carbon deposits it makes no difference at all, you are going to get deposits and build up on the backs of the inlet valves and on the inlet tracts no matter how you drive. Because of direct injection - zero washing by fuel of the backs of the inlet valves and the inlet tracks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
that's a nice portfolio
but the xfr is still as desirable and I would be giving it the same treatment as your 440i
Unfortunately it wont fit in the garage. The 440i had pillarless doors so I could put the window right down when parking and squeeze over the door to get out. cant do that in this one. Ill certainly look after it but am determined to also enjoy it and not let myself worry about it, which does spoil the ownership side.

I so often wish I could be one of these people who just uses the car as normal, parks in normal spaces, leaves parked up on the street of a busy road and not be bothered.

Congratulations on your new beast. As others have said put it in dynamic mode (the chequered flag button behind the gear rotary) and this sharpens it up a lot. I drive it most of the time in this mode. The S holds on to gears longer but I prefer the paddles for spirited driving!
ill give that a try next time I take her out.

Nah, not two weeks more like two hours!
The gearbox learns and adapts to your driving style quite quickly, so even after two weeks of tootling it only takes an hour or so of "spirited" driving to wake it up.
With the carbon deposits it makes no difference at all, you are going to get deposits and build up on the backs of the inlet valves and on the inlet tracts no matter how you drive. Because of direct injection - zero washing by fuel of the backs of the inlet valves and the inlet tracks.
with this in mind, does everyone on here run these engines on shell ultra (or whatever they currently call the top stuff) to keep it clean as possible?

Registered
Which fuel? That's a "Marmite" question. But I'm firmly in the camp of putting the best possible fuel into my engine. I have a "lowly" V6 diesel but only ever put Shell V-Power in. Would never ever stick supermarket gunk into Her Greyness.

Unfortunately it wont fit in the garage. The 440i had pillarless doors so I could put the window right down when parking and squeeze over the door to get out. cant do that in this one. Ill certainly look after it but am determined to also enjoy it and not let myself worry about it, which does spoil the ownership side.

I so often wish I could be one of these people who just uses the car as normal, parks in normal spaces, leaves parked up on the street of a busy road and not be bothered.

with this in mind, does everyone on here run these engines on shell ultra (or whatever they currently call the top stuff) to keep it clean as possible?
Usain Bolt didn't eat McDonald's or a Kebab when he was competitive ;)

The car looks stunning. Enjoy the miles of smiles and the look back factor :)

Weather is lovely - so you should be able to put the foot down more so than in the wet.

Enjoy!!!

Registered

I always use premium fuel on every car I have owned but that's just my preference

Registered
Looks Fab!!! You also had a nice first drive from the sound of it, now stop posting on forums and go and drive it!!!.. (y)

:D

Registered
Looks fab. Enjoy, and I hope the air con works in this weather with black! 馃榾

Reactions: MyIRRCat

Registered
Thanks both

Im not sure about other mods. Maybe an exhaust in the future when im used to this one. Then again ive got 2 years approved used jaguar warranty so don't want to mess that up
Car looks lovely, I am sure you will join us XFR drivers who love the car and think it is the best cat we have owned. There should not be any delay in the accelerator response, that is the benefit of the supercharger (vs turbo). I had Jaguar fit my Spires exhaust in the workshop before collection and no one talked about warranty issues. My car is now 6 years old and I am still in love. No intention of changing it.

Have fun and get to learn the limits, so you can get to see what an incredible performance is on tap. Relentless!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Registered

The engine requires minimum 95 RON and will like 98 RON (or whatever RON your "super premium" petrol is over there in Blighty). You don't NEED to use super premium (such as Shell V-Power) but the extra additives help keep the fuel lines, injectors etc cleanish.
Chuck a tin of BG44K in the fuel tank once every six months or so, it's the best fuel system cleaner out there and will help prevent the injectors carboning up, but it won't touch the backs of the intake valves (because GDI).
So it helps to clean the backs of the inlet valves and the intake tracts once in a while to remove the gunk and carbon deposits.
Two ways to do this - remove the heads and walnut blast = very expensive, or run one or two cans of CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve Cleaner through, this stuff:

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Looks fab. Enjoy, and I hope the air con works in this weather with black! 馃榾
Tell me about it, nearly melted when I first got in it on collection day
Glad it turned out to be a good one :).
Thanks for your guide carl. The dealership I bought it from had done the last five services and told me every time they did it they listened carefully for any tensioner rattle and its always been fine

Car looks lovely, I am sure you will join us XFR drivers who love the car and think it is the best cat we have owned. There should not be any delay in the accelerator response, that is the benefit of the supercharger (vs turbo). I had Jaguar fit my Spires exhaust in the workshop before collection and no one talked about warranty issues. My car is now 6 years old and I am still in love. No intention of changing it.

Have fun and get to learn the limits, so you can get to see what an incredible performance is on tap. Relentless!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I did put it in dynamic mode yesterday, chickened out of full throttle so just did half and it made a big impression. I think ill take it out late evening on a big open 3 lane motorway when hardly any cars around and try full throttle then.
The engine requires minimum 95 RON and will like 98 RON (or whatever RON your "super premium" petrol is over there in Blighty). You don't NEED to use super premium (such as Shell V-Power) but the extra additives help keep the fuel lines, injectors etc cleanish.
Chuck a tin of BG44K in the fuel tank once every six months or so, it's the best fuel system cleaner out there and will help prevent the injectors carboning up, but it won't touch the backs of the intake valves (because GDI).
So it helps to clean the backs of the inlet valves and the intake tracts once in a while to remove the gunk and carbon deposits.
Two ways to do this - remove the heads and walnut blast = very expensive, or run one or two cans of CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve Cleaner through, this stuff:
Looks an interesting product so might consider in future.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts