Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my front passenger door does not seem to be locking. When I lock the car with the key, everything seems fine, there's no double beep and the side mirrors close, but if the door handle is pulled, the door will open.
Even when I'm driving, the car is locked from the inside and the lock latch itself on the interior door handle is closed, but the door can still be opened from the outside. Btw the lock latch on the inside does move when the car is locked and unlocked, but the door just remains unlocked.
anyone else had this issue before?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
It’s a very common problem with actuator failing. Plenty of posts on here and similar forums, try the search bar. There are videos on YouTube on how to fix, and parts are readily available but be careful whether keyless or not.

Reactions: PeteA and FCS

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just made a start on mine today. Common problem. Bit of a pain but doable yourself. You need a new door lock, see the forum and you tube for the method. I am going to bottom the problem of why it happens in the first place motor wise. There are 2 small motors about £2 each which fail (I wonder why) made in china. I have so far removed the door trim and speaker panel then it pissed it down with rain, you need the door wide open to fix it, and window out. To be continued.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
After taking the thing out today I looked at your write up, You are completely correct on every count. I also removed the thick expanded foam pad at the bottom of the door to help get the thing out.I then stripped the thing to figure out what was wrong. I removed the 2 small motors and ran them on the PSU at 5 volts. No problem. I then disconnected the large motor and ran that both ways. No problem even at 5 volts checked all obvious components including micro switches to connectors. No problem. Put it back together.Still the same. When I put it back together I put grease on all push in fittings so it will be easier to do it again.I need to figure out what the components are doing in series with the white lead on the large motor they all read as if S/C. I may strip down the parts within the large motor gearbox next time to see what is going on in that, it looks a bit like taking a clock to bits. At least I have the confidence to do it again and ain't scared of messing it up. Buying the correct part is more difficult than you think, mine has 3 connectors, most for sale have one or at best 2.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can't remember seeing one on the door lock, but most jag parts have a barcode sticker that can be scanned in using barcode reader from a smart phone then searched on the web which will give you the part number.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So I have ordered a new lock. I will strip the old one down and see just what the hell it is with these things.If I wasn't off to the Isle of wight in it soon, I would not replace the thing when 99 percent of it will be fine. We really need to change from this culture of swap the whole thing for maybe a 1P resistor

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
What problem/s are you getting Fred?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
But these locks show multiple faults, thankfully not all at once. I fear that if you successfully fix the fault with yours, it will inevitably exhibit a different fault in short order, causing you yet another door and lock strip-down. Unless you like taking your car to bits!

·
Registered
810 Posts
What problem/s are you getting Fred?
Hi Pete
It is the usual (I have to walk to the passenger front and open the door) It has been like it for quite some time but lately it now won't lock unless I first push the interior lock lever into lock position. I am determined to figure out what is causing the problem. Yesterday I ordered a new lock actuator so I will fit the new one then take the old one to bits and figure it out if I can.

·
Registered
810 Posts
But these locks show multiple faults, thankfully not all at once. I fear that if you successfully fix the fault with yours, it will inevitably exhibit a different fault in short order, causing you yet another door and lock strip-down. Unless you like taking your car to bits!
You are probably correct. I have ordered a new one which I will fit, then figure out what went wrong with the old one.
I actually enjoy taking the thing to bits within reason. I hate renewing things when the usual fault is a 1p resistor or usually a duff leaky cap. How many TVs are scraped due to a single component.
You can bet the lock will have a simple component causing all the problems.
I have spent my whole life fixing things form 200 ton cranes 100 ton arc furnaces to mobile phones, since I have retired I have time to fix things I want to. I just wish the Jag was a bit better made or should I say easier to work on. Some people like climbing mountains to get a kick from their achievement, I get mine from fixing a switch mode PSU.
I don't however like working under pressure, I have done that most of my life, When the window was out of the jag the other day and it looked like rain I didn't like that.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Hi Pete
It is the usual (I have to walk to the passenger front and open the door) It has been like it for quite some time but lately it now won't lock unless I first push the interior lock lever into lock position. I am determined to figure out what is causing the problem. Yesterday I ordered a new lock actuator so I will fit the new one then take the old one to bits and figure it out if I can.
Shouldn't you already be doing that anyway for your lovely wife?... :eek:

;)

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ah, but I've met Pete...... 😀

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well the new lock has arrived so when it stops raining I will fit the thing. I will time it out to see how long it takes me.
I will not rush but just interested.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Fitted the new lock, now fine. It took about 1 hour and 3 quarters start to Finnish. couldn't believe I had to run a 6mm tap through the window rail as I could not get the screw in. The thing came out ok and I didn't put it in cross threaded.
Looking at the old lock I don't think it is feasible to fix them. The motors clip in and out easily even the large one on the heavy part of the lock,but getting it to bits after the unit with the 2 small motors is off is a no no.
So buy a new lock and fitting it is relatively easy. Getting the window out was the hardest part and trying not to damage the trim is a pain. It is a very fiddly job and not for the faint hearted. The problem is you are working on parts which if you damage them they will stand out forever like the door trim and window outer trim which is a pain to get off without bending it or damaging the paint. The new part cost me £79 you have to make sure you get the correct one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts