9,728 Posts
What does the LR acronym HSE stand for anyway
High Spec Equipment

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
...........*some news in*.............

Car will hopefully be delivered to the dealer 21/2 woop woop :cool:
Would love to hear how the AWD system is when you get it. Do you know that kind of system it is? Open diffs, abs utilisation, LSD etc?

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would love to hear how the AWD system is when you get it. Do you know that kind of system it is? Open diffs, abs utilisation, LSD etc?
Nope, when you find out.....let me know

Sent from BLUE heaven using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does the LR acronym HSE stand for anyway
High Spec Equipment
Correct Gav - High Specification Equipment (as opposed to the SE being Standard Equipment)

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Correct Gav - High Specification Equipment (as opposed to the SE being Standard Equipment)

ah ok cheers

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

I'll have a dig about, but what I gather so far is that thankfully it's still a RWD oriented car (like X-Drive) and only bringing the front in when required, which I believe has a predictability function involved? I'm guessing it will be predominately a driving aid, much like most which are on cars not designed for proper off-road, however, if it's anything like the X-Drive one in my BMW which very much impressed me and I believe uses the ABS/Braking system to mimic an LSD, then I reckon you could be in for a treat because I was cutting about in snow going up hills and all sorts - in summer tyres! Stupid I know, but it was leaving SUV's in its wake!

It's not just the snow, the Expressway here is quite a fast one and in bad rain it can become quite slippy. I definitely notice a difference when cornering in the bad rain between a RWD and an AWD car. Recovery is also far better.

·
Administrator
27,432 Posts
HSE?

High Service Expenditure? :p

Seriously Rick - good to see your new car getting a step closer.

·
18,051 Posts
Cool beans fella, cool beans :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

I was skeptical that your wink meant that it would be difficult to find out, and it is!

There seems to be little out there to reveal it's real capabilities. The closest I could find was that it will distribute 50/50 torque across front and rear (link), but there's no mention of individual wheels. I also came across an article which said there was 18 months of winter testing for the XF AWD, so that's encouraging plus they have LR tech to have called upon.

I'm assuming it will be a similar system to what's in the F-Pace, E-Pace etc and whilst I cannot find any AWD test videos (diagonal and roller tests) I did come across this E-Pace video. Although most of the time I notice that either both front or rear wheel are down before moving, I did spot this moment (I wish they had provided a wider shot) where it looks like a front and a rear wheel is off the ground whilst power is being applied. This would suggest that it is using ABS/braking to send the power to the wheel which isn't slipping.

https://youtu.be/BM2g9VeRArc?t=377

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting Graham, as it happens my MR2 has an LSD just for RWD (if LSD) - if it uses ABS/brakes, roll on the more frequent pad changes

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HSE?

High Service Expenditure?

Seriously Rick - good to see your new car getting a step closer.
LOL it's always expensive - man maths

I think it will be 2 year service intervals btw

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Interesting Graham, as it happens my MR2 has an LSD just for RWD (if LSD) - if it uses ABS/brakes, roll on the more frequent pad changes

Probably a little more pad wear but I guess it depends on how it has been setup. I reckon when on the move it will just transfer torque from rear to the front and will still effectively be open diff performance on each axle with perhaps only in extreme cases will the brakes be used, such as extreme slippage where a spin is imminent etc. But if stationary and trying to pull away but not getting anywhere due to a wheel on both axles having no traction I reckon it will then use the braking system to stop that wheel and send the power across the axle but that shouldn't involve very much pad wear, unless you are getting stuck all the time! haha

The fact that it can send up to 50% power to the front axle is a good sign though as it would suggest it isn't some lightweight piece of crap such as what was in the Honda CRV and could pull the car away on gravel never mind anything more serious.

Would love to know for sure and find some technical stuff on it. I could ask Jaguar but from past experience I doubt they'll be very helpful and they are probably not talking to me anyway!

·
Super Moderator
27,286 Posts

And yet if you buy a Range Rover, the HSE is the entry level trim, go figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 276 Posts