Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have a question regarding the outside bolts on my alloys. Some are coming loose, one appears snapped. Are they cosmetic and replaceable? Should it be an extended warranty repair item?

what could cause this issue? I’m wondering if the car is. Safe to drive?

Background: I previously had the wheels refurbished my the Jaguar dealer as they had d managed them when in for service, but they were repaired at the back end of 2019

Attachments

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
That’s interesting. I have the same wheels and was wondering how these were attached as one of my wheels needs refurbished.

Mine were powder coated black in 2015 so they’ve lasted pretty well.

They are cosmetic, the wheel is a one piece casting.

I’d recommend that you remove the loose bolts and put them back in with a removable thread lock liquid.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Are they metal based? One is snapped so would need to find a way to remove it. Also, can you see in the picture where that one is snapped/ it appears as those there is a residue over it. Any idea?

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,592 Posts
sounds like someone tried to nip these up and snapped it, should be a warranty job if you can reasonably prove it happened when in the dealer

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
Thank you. Are they metal based? One is snapped so would need to find a way to remove it. Also, can you see in the picture where that one is snapped/ it appears as those there is a residue over it. Any idea?
That looks like old epoxy resin. As Gav says, it seems it has previously snapped off and someone before you has "glued" the head back on.

·
Registered
2014 R-Sport XF
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your comments. I will update you with what the Jaguar dealer says.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
875 Posts
Epoxy Resin I hear you say….? Have a look at phoaty…..this is how a Glasgow tyre fitter remedied a snapped WHEEL STUD……effing Araldites the head back on. This apart from fitting three of her directional Michelins in the wrong direction, and breaking all four of her wee Toyota (very expensive) hub caps, using said Araldite to rectify fit.
Believe me…..with this bastard I am NOT yet finished.

Reactions: OBC John and Rigger

·
Registered
510 Posts
I removed those outside bolts before my wheels were refurbished, trouble is they come back with the threads full of paint. I had to run a thread tap into them to clear the threads.
If I were to do it again, I would put some 10mm bolts in the holes to protect the threads!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts