Jaguar Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1530 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
I think you can claim 4p a mile to charge at home.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
thank you .
I'll look into this further .
will also see what HMRC say.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,482 · (Edited)
Nothing to report.

1300 miles. No issues. Just driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: R17 and dhallworth

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
thank you .
I'll look into this further .
will also see what HMRC say.

45p p mile and then 25p p mile.

I would say that I'll be using the full range of the motor on each business trip .

·
Registered
797 Posts
45p p mile and then 25p p mile.

I would say that I'll be using the full range of the motor on each business trip .
That is for an ICE car 45p for the 1st 10k miles and 25p after.
EVs are different I think you will find?

Edit: yes sorry I was basing the 4p on the EV being supplied as a company car.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
45/25p are the Inland Revenue Approved Mileage rates per mile for using your own vehicle for work. It’s fuel source doesn’t matter.

The 4p rate is the Advisory Fuel rate for electric vehicles and usually what you can claim if it’s a company car.

So basically it comes down to who pays for your car.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
45/25p are the Inland Revenue Approved Mileage rates per mile for using your own vehicle for work. It’s fuel source doesn’t matter.

The 4p rate is the Advisory Fuel rate for electric vehicles and usually what you can claim if it’s a company car.

So basically it comes down to who pays for your car.
yep.
I need to get to grips with the Co scheme.
No mileage allowance, fuel paid for on Co card.
Personal miles supposedly claimed back .
so...if I do 20 miles a day personal, they could all be using leccy only ( charged at home).
I'll be charged at 12pmile but will have already paid via my electric bill.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No way you can opt out of the fuel card?

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
No way you can opt out of the fuel card?
it's not a fuel card, Ben.

All business expenses go on it .

In a way, I don't mind.

With the X260 and Velar , I lost out on the fuel allowance ( with the previous employer), I clawed a bit back on S.A.
This way I, at least, I don't lose put...no matter how I drive.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood. I also have a company credit card but for me mileage is expensed separately and paid at the advisory fuel rates as my car is a company car. So the fuel type doesn’t matter.
Sounds like your employer needs to give some thought to the brave new world.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood. I also have a company credit card but for me mileage is expensed separately and paid at the advisory fuel rates as my car is a company car. So the fuel type doesn’t matter.
Sounds like your employer needs to give some thought to the brave new world.
I don't start with them until 1st June, Ben
They will pay for an EV charger to be installed at our home but , unless these can give a metered use, the only advantage is speed of charging.
All Co cars and private cars with an allowance have to be full EV or hybrid by 2030.
As I'm a new starter, the policy effects me immediately.
I could have held on until Xmas but thought " sod it"

·
Registered
7,611 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Is that all new cars Dave?
current employees ( it kicked in just before my contract was drawn up..ffs ) are exempt until 2030 ,sir, .
But when their car hits 10yr old ( possibly when it's been registered with the Co for 10 years, not 100% sure but I suspect the former) they will have to go EV.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Ah, it's a company rule rather than government rule then?

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Ah, it's a company rule rather than government rule then?
correct.
a policy which I hadn't considered , as it came through out of the blue, so wasn't factored in .

Would I have rejected the offer?

Nope.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I’m getting my e-Dispatch in a few weeks, I’ve probably left it a bit late to get a charger installed in time so it will be getting plugged into the garage socket for now. Any recommendations for a wall charger, I ain’t got a clue :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,496 ·
I’m getting my e-Dispatch in a few weeks, I’ve probably left it a bit late to get a charger installed in time so it will be getting plugged into the garage socket for now. Any recommendations for a wall charger, I ain’t got a clue :ROFLMAO:
Depends what you're after feature wise. Where are you going to install it? What power supply is available for it?

For a 7kW EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment - the charger is actually inside the vehicle ;) ) you need 10mm2 cable at a minimum and a 40A MCB. Depending on the load inside your current consumer unit you can run that cable from there or you might need to split the meter tails and run it separately.

What does your meter box look like inside?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
My meter box is just outside my front door in a covered porch, the porch is right next to my drive. My consumer unit is in the cloakroom which backs onto my garage, so both are accessible. My meter box has a isolator, I’m only single phase. I think 7kW is ample. I’d assumed it would go to the consumer unit but it seems the most popular way is come from the meter and have a separate CU, is that right?

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,498 ·
My meter box is just outside my front door in a covered porch, the porch is right next to my drive. My consumer unit is in the cloakroom which backs onto my garage, so both are accessible. My meter box has a isolator, I’m only single phase. I think 7kW is ample. I’d assumed it would go to the consumer unit but it seems the most popular way is come from the meter and have a separate CU, is that right?
It can be the most popular way, especially as the meter box is right next to your driveway. Some installers don't like to touch the consumer unit. But it does depend. Do you know what sort of earthing arrangement your supply is?

Budget around £500-700 for the charger and install, including the £350 government grant (which the installer claims and should pass the discount onto you).

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
It can be the most popular way, especially as the meter box is right next to your driveway. Some installers don't like to touch the consumer unit. But it does depend. Do you know what sort of earthing arrangement your supply is?

Budget around £500-700 for the charger and install, including the £350 government grant (which the installer claims and should pass the discount onto you).
Its a modern house so will have good earthing, but I did mention this to my sparkie friend and he said they are starting to ask for extra earthing now. I‘m in too minds whether to just get a company to supply and fit or just buy one and ask my mate to fit it. Are there any stand out models or are they all much the same?

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,500 ·
Its a modern house so will have good earthing, but I did mention this to my sparkie friend and he said they are starting to ask for extra earthing now. I‘m in too minds whether to just get a company to supply and fit or just buy one and ask my mate to fit it. Are there any stand out models or are they all much the same?
Good earthing and type of earthing are two different things ;)

Best to watch this video, I know it's 40 minutes long but it's worth it so you understand the pit falls of installing a EV charger.

In a nutshell though, there are three different earthing systems, he explains this in the beginning. Depending which is has changes the options you have available. This can affect the charger you choose.

If I didn't have space issues on the wall where the charger is installed, I would have probably gone for a MyEnergi Zappi EVSE. It comes with all the correct safety features built in (whereas many don't - even the one I have doesn't have them all). But its a bigger unit and a bit more expensive.

1481 - 1500 of 1530 Posts