Founder member
5,303 Posts
XC60 are built in Sweden

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
XC60 are built in Sweden
Not all of them:

Volvo Cars was founded in 1927. Today, it is one of the most well-known and respected car brands in the world with sales of 661,713 cars in 2020 in about 100 countries. ... The company's main car production plants are located in Gothenburg (Sweden), Ghent (Belgium), South Carolina (US), Chengdu and Daqing (China).

Although I suspect China covers the far east markets.

·
Super Moderator
20,642 Posts
Not all of them:

Volvo Cars was founded in 1927. Today, it is one of the most well-known and respected car brands in the world with sales of 661,713 cars in 2020 in about 100 countries. ... The company's main car production plants are located in Gothenburg (Sweden), Ghent (Belgium), South Carolina (US), Chengdu and Daqing (China).

Although I suspect China covers the far east markets.
I believe XC60 is a Swedish built car. Different models are built around the world I think the S60 is built in America.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I believe XC60 is a Swedish built car. Different models are built around the world I think the S60 is built in America.
I was only joking about the possibility of mine being Chinese as it kept having problems, I wasn't meaning to offend any Volvo owners. I asked the question when I ordered the car but the salesman was unable to confirm or deny and if mine had been built in China and had no problems I wouldn't care where it had been made.
I believe my first XC60 was made in Belgium which isn't a country you associate with car manufacturing :)
When I get my car back there should be a Declaration of Conformity in the glove box so this may show where it was made.

This was reported in Automotive News Europe in July 2019:
Volvo Cars started exporting the XC60 midsize crossover assembled in the south China city of Chengdu to Europe under plans to use China as a production hub for global markets.

The first wave of XC60s arrived by train in Ghent, Belgium, earlier this month, Volvo said, without disclosing the volume of the shipment.

From Ghent, gasoline and plug-in hybrid versions of the XC60 will be transported and distributed in 25 European countries, including Belgium, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands.

The XC60 is the latest China-built model that Volvo has exported to Europe. In 2017, the Swedish brand began shipping the S90 large sedan assembled at a plant in the northeast China city of Daqing.

In 2015, Volvo started shipping the S60 compact car produced at the Chengdu plant to the United States. But the exports have been subjected to a 25 percent tariff the Trump administration imposed on China-made vehicles in 2018.

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,145 ·
I was only joking about the possibility of mine being Chinese as it kept having problems, I wasn't meaning to offend any Volvo owners. I asked the question when I ordered the car but the salesman was unable to confirm or deny and if mine had been built in China and had no problems I wouldn't care where it had been made.
I believe my first XC60 was made in Belgium which isn't a country you associate with car manufacturing :)
When I get my car back there should be a Declaration of Conformity in the glove box so this may show where it was made.

This was reported in Automotive News Europe in July 2019:
Volvo Cars started exporting the XC60 midsize crossover assembled in the south China city of Chengdu to Europe under plans to use China as a production hub for global markets.

The first wave of XC60s arrived by train in Ghent, Belgium, earlier this month, Volvo said, without disclosing the volume of the shipment.

From Ghent, gasoline and plug-in hybrid versions of the XC60 will be transported and distributed in 25 European countries, including Belgium, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands.

The XC60 is the latest China-built model that Volvo has exported to Europe. In 2017, the Swedish brand began shipping the S90 large sedan assembled at a plant in the northeast China city of Daqing.

In 2015, Volvo started shipping the S60 compact car produced at the Chengdu plant to the United States. But the exports have been subjected to a 25 percent tariff the Trump administration imposed on China-made vehicles in 2018.
Some say that Chinese built Teslas are better built than USA built ones.

·
Administrator
28,415 Posts
Some say that Chinese built Teslas are better built than USA built ones.
They’re a lot better.

Nobody wanted a Chinese one. Then the first ships started arriving from China & nobody wanted a Fremont car.🙄

Texas & Berlin production should be up to the Chinese standard or better.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
They’re a lot better.

Nobody wanted a Chinese one. Then the first ships started arriving from China & nobody wanted a Fremont car.🙄

I've bought a quad bike, a Chinese made 1 so I'm honestly not against all Chinese made products :) It rides a lot better than a friends Honda and almost half the price and so far no problems and the build quality is very good.

As an update to the Volvo, the garage has emailed me, new disks and pads on the rear, no idea how these have failed after 4,400 miles.....as for the heater, it needs a new heater module which won't be available for another 2 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,148 ·
I've bought a quad bike, a Chinese made 1 so I'm honestly not against all Chinese made products :) It rides a lot better than a friends Honda and almost half the price and so far no problems and the build quality is very good.

As an update to the Volvo, the garage has emailed me, new disks and pads on the rear, no idea how these have failed after 4,400 miles.....as for the heater, it needs a new heater module which won't be available for another 2 weeks.
I had discs and pads on my first XF within 6 months under warranty.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I had discs and pads on my first XF within 6 months under warranty.
Did they ever give a reason why they failed so quickly? Apparently this is the second set as when they originally started to sort out the issues last January they replaced them too.

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,150 ·
Did they ever give a reason why they failed so quickly? Apparently this is the second set as when they originally started to sort out the issues last January they replaced them too.
Nope. Unfortunately or fortunately I never had the car for much longer and upgraded to another XF which never had the issue.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Nope. Unfortunately or fortunately I never had the car for much longer and upgraded to another XF which never had the issue.
I do think that's what I am going to have to do, I just begrudge taking a 35% hit on the depreciation and that's on another Volvo, the plan was to keep the car 3 years as I don't use it that much.
The question is, if I don't get another Volvo what do I get, an EV is out of the question as our electricity supply isn't great here and I think it would cost way too much to get the supply up to what's needed to charge an EV.
Anything from JLR is just crazy money over here ( as are all non French cars)

It's your thread that prompted me to post on here again, I know exactly how you felt about the heating issues with your I-Pace, hope they get sorted soon!

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,152 ·
Yeah it's tricky. I didn't change because of the brakes, I changed because of the engine. Nothing wrong with it but the 2.2 wasn't as good as the 3.0 so I swapped.

Still waiting for the part to arrive for our I-PACE. I know parts have been ariving as other I-PACE owners have been getting their cars back. We are just further down the line so depending on how many units they have, it could be another couple of weeks or more.

·
Registered
909 Posts
They’re a lot better.

Indeed they are. My Performance is a Fremont one - not too bad, but the Chinese ones have far more uniform panel gaps. Also the centre console new design looks rather better. I also understand the sound proofing is better. I had a load of cardboard in the boot of mines the other day - the reduction of noise was significant. May get some foam to put under the boot lining.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yeah it's tricky. I didn't change because of the brakes, I changed because of the engine. Nothing wrong with it but the 2.2 wasn't as good as the 3.0 so I swapped.

Still waiting for the part to arrive for our I-PACE. I know parts have been ariving as other I-PACE owners have been getting their cars back. We are just further down the line so depending on how many units they have, it could be another couple of weeks or more.
I remember when you got your first XF and certain ex members would tease you about the engine :) Obviously not me as mine now is a measly 2 litre.....

I hope they get the part soon for you, I've taken the same attitude as you took and asked for a courtesy car although I doubt it will be as nice as a Discovery :(

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Sounds deadening material first to stop the panel/s resonating might be better Hugh, then sound absorbing foam if further reduction is needed.

Plain foam will help as long as it doesn't get compressed too much by the lining but would probably be best as open cell.. mind you that all depends on which part exactly you mean... :)

Reactions: Avantime

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hopefully mine is just an unlucky car :), I haven't had much luck with it since the day I bought it when the salesman removed the cover and the car was grey not black as I ordered:oops:

In hindsight I should have rejected it for that reason but after waiting 14 weeks I just wanted it and I didn't hate the grey totally......
I'm sure yours will be fine, my previous 2 Volvo's never went wrong in the 4 years of having them, the XC90 was probably the best all round car I've ever owned, maybe my XC60 is a Chinese one!
They do have their built in weaknesses. Our MD had one. He had one of the turbos fail under warranty. It was fixed as it was a relatively easy job, but the following week, the other went. It’s an engine out job and the warranty company initially declined to honour the work. Took a lot of to and fro before it was fixed.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
They do have their built in weaknesses. Our MD had one. He had one of the turbos fail under warranty. It was fixed as it was a relatively easy job, but the following week, the other went. It’s an engine out job and the warranty company initially declined to honour the work. Took a lot of to and fro before it was fixed.
Yes you're right, as do a lot of new model cars nowadays and I accept when a new model is launched there are teething issues, I naively thought any issues with the XC60 and T8 versions would have been ironed out by now.
My main concern now is in 11 months I'm left with a car with no warranty and a poor reliability history, my car insurance is being quite helpful, under French law the legal assistance cover provides me with a solicitor who will write to Volvo giving them 8 days in which to respond with a reasonable proposal/solution, no idea yet what happens if they don't reply :)

I assume your MD didn't keep the car for long after the problems?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes you're right, as do a lot of new model cars nowadays and I accept when a new model is launched there are teething issues, I naively thought any issues with the XC60 and T8 versions would have been ironed out by now.
My main concern now is in 11 months I'm left with a car with no warranty and a poor reliability history, my car insurance is being quite helpful, under French law the legal assistance cover provides me with a solicitor who will write to Volvo giving them 8 days in which to respond with a reasonable proposal/solution, no idea yet what happens if they don't reply :)

I assume your MD didn't keep the car for long after the problems?
He kept it a little while, but gone now.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds deadening material first to stop the panel/s resonating might be better Hugh, then sound absorbing foam if further reduction is needed.

Plain foam will help as long as it doesn't get compressed too much by the lining but would probably be best as open cell.. mind you that all depends on which part exactly you mean... :)

May just keep a load of empty boxes in the boot!! A plasterer friend of mine can sort the panel gaps!

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,160 ·
Just had a phone call from JLR HO following an email I sent to them yesterday.

They have just been informed that a batch if HV heaters are being delivered to JLR tomorrow and therefore Sturgess should receive it by Friday at the latest. I estimate that if that's the case we will get our car back the following Friday at the latest, but we will see.

I have asked if root cause for the heater failure has been found and if the new heaters have been upgraded, she couldn't answer me immediately but said she would find out and let me know.

Fingers crossed! Put another £107 tank of deisel in the Disco yesterday. That's 3 now.

Reactions: OBC John
2141 - 2160 of 2203 Posts