Jaguar Forum banner
1981 - 2000 of 2018 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
So what do larger households do if they have 2 or 3 cars and intend to change all to EVs? Can you have 2 or 3 chargers? Or would changing over the charge lead become a 3am thing?

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,982 ·
So what do larger households do if they have 2 or 3 cars and intend to change all to EVs? Can you have 2 or 3 chargers? Or would changing over the charge lead become a 3am thing?
Depends :)

3 phase supply. 3 chargers at once.
3 chargers with built in load sharing
Move the single charger between cars.

How likely is it that all three cars will need charging every day? We charge our I-PACE up once or twice a weeks normally, and that isn’t even from flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,022 Posts
Pity the poor nightshift worker who charges his EV during the day.... what a crock of nonsense that law would be.
He'll just have to get himself another EV...or an ICE car.

Was it in Paris where , to get around driving restrictions, drivers bought another car ?
Think it was odd /even numbers on the reg plates.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,022 Posts

How likely is it that all three cars will need charging every day? We charge our I-PACE up once or twice a weeks normally, and that isn’t even from flat.

But you charge that when you want to and not by diktat

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,985 ·
But you charge that when you want to and not by diktat
Diktat?

Yes I do charge when I like, and as I said, I very much doubt that will change.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,022 Posts
Diktat?

Yes I do charge when I like, and as I said, I very much doubt that will change.
Yes diktat.

The more that the powers that be can dictate how we drive, when we drive, how and when we charge our cars ...

I'm not one for conspiracies but we can see where this could and I repeat could end.

( probably won't stop my next car, after the 330e , being a full EV though.)

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts

How many domestic properties do you know that have a three phase supply?

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,022 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,989 ·
How many domestic properties do you know that have a three phase supply?
Not many, but that will change. Wester Power have already said that very soon they will start putting in 3 phase into new builds. But as I said, there are other options.

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
New builds are a tiny tiny fraction of the established estate.

I have always said that distribution (and also, generation capacity), especially local distribution networks, would become a problem as BEVs became common, this new law is the first symptom/recognition of that. There simply is not enough cable capacity under our surburban streets to power BEV chargers if every other household had one, never mind every one.

Think I might double my planned battery capacity............

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,991 ·
This law won't happen.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It's always been the case that, when not if, will the powers that be start to milk the growing EV trend. It has looked more and more likely as the income from ICE cars diminishes. I fear there will be more ideas coming forward to pick the pockets of the EV owners, remember the diesel fiasco as we were urged to buy them? Phil

·
Administrator
27,996 Posts
Why would anyone choose to charge an EV at 25p/kWh when they can pay 5p/kWh in the early hours? If a garage sold diesel for £32.50 a gallon would you fill up there?:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
27,996 Posts
It's always been the case that, when not if, will the powers that be start to milk the growing EV trend. It has looked more and more likely as the income from ICE cars diminishes. I fear there will be more ideas coming forward to pick the pockets of the EV owners, remember the diesel fiasco as we were urged to buy them? Phil
I'm sure the time will come when EV users are milked in the same way ICE vehicles are now. In the meantime, I'm happy to enjoy virtually free motoring.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I can't access my electrical intakes any longer, the wall that was the outside wall is now in the middle of the house, so would need all the internal (concrete) floors lifted, and destroy the oak flooring to access. This makes it impossible to run an additional feed for a charger from one of the CUs, though I do have a 4mm feed to the gates and 6mm feed to the garage which were installed as part of the extension work, so the latter would likely be the only option. Certainly won't support multiple chargers. Not sure how I access this area if I opt for solar either.....

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Electricity

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,997 ·
I can't access my electrical intakes any longer, the wall that was the outside wall is now in the middle of the house, so would need all the internal (concrete) floors lifted, and destroy the oak flooring to access. This makes it impossible to run an additional feed for a charger from one of the CUs, though I do have a 4mm feed to the gates and 6mm feed to the garage which were installed as part of the extension work, so the latter would likely be the only option. Certainly won't support multiple chargers. Not sure how I access this area if I opt for solar either.....

View attachment 188482
Looks like that Henley block on the left needs securing.

If you were to get an EV you might have to rely on the granny charger if you can't run a cable from this location.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,022 Posts
Why would anyone choose to charge an EV at 25p/kWh when they can pay 5p/kWh in the early hours? If a garage sold diesel for £32.50 a gallon would you fill up there?:rolleyes:
True.
I'm charging ( subtle) my outfit £30.00 a month to keep mine topped up.
If the situation changes, then my charging habits will too.

Ultimately I will have to go onto a smart evening/ weekend tariff.

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,022 Posts
Looks like that Henley block on the left needs securing.

If you were to get an EV you might have to rely on the granny charger if you can't run a cable from this location.
You'll be doing well to get 21mb at the gas appliances too.

A granny charger on a timer ( for cheaper rate electric) would be a good option.

But, of course, you'd probably not get a full charge - at 10A- in the off peak period.

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,000 ·
You'll be doing well to get 21mb at the gas appliances too.

A granny charger on a timer ( for cheaper rate electric) would be a good option.

But, of course, you'd probably not get a full charge - at 10A- in the off peak period.
Most cars have timed charging built in, so you don't have to control the granny charger.

Most people aren't charging their cars up from flat to 100% every day.

1981 - 2000 of 2018 Posts