Jaguar Forum banner

Opening interior light fittings

26K views 65 replies 19 participants last post by  XF_luvva 
#1 · (Edited)
Front light. Using a wide blade prize the sides of the fitting and the unit will start to drop.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Sunroof Family car

do this both sides

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Windshield Auto part Vehicle

Rear lights. Locate a small blade in the slots and prize slowly, the unit will hinge down in a concertina fashion.

Automotive lighting Light Automotive exterior Headlamp Lighting

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Vehicle door

Gadget Technology Electronic device Finger Hand

See less See more
#3 ·
If you are replacing bulbs, it's easier to remove the bulb holder from the light unit (it turns about 1/4 turn) before trying to put the new light in, especially LED ones which seem to have a slightly thicker connector. I just broke one of the bulb holder contacts trying to force it in situ.

#9 ·
Just ordered. Thanks for the link d3ggy :top:

#10 ·
I'd be interested in your experience with these gents, I think I had every variation of these cob LEDs , and everyone of these failed within 6-8 weeks some even sooner. I used them for my rear number plate lights , so on for quite a bit. Might be ok with interior lights?

#12 ·
To be fair only just put them in, will see how they go.

#11 ·
#15 ·
For me, the hardest one to get out is the glove box bulb. I used a small tie wrap which I put in a loose loop around the bulb then tightened once over it near the base to get it out.

I also had to go back and move the wires which come out of the base of the LEDs as some were not making good contact with the holder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I spent 10 mins fiddling with that one, finally managed to get it in. Used my phone if selfie mode to act as a mirror to see orientation of the holder.

As for the puddle lights, got the mirror glass off easily following the video on here, but couldn't quite work out the clip so broke it :(
After seeing the broken clip I did the other side in under a min as worked out to push the clip in and then push the bulb holder downwards from inside with the other hand... Just waiting for dark to test them all out...

#17 ·
For anyone doing the footwell lights in future, if you remove the 3 tabs along the carpeted trim that sits around the lights, you can then twist and remove the whole bulb holder, giving about 6-8 inches of slack wire. You can then fit new bulbs/LEDs practically sitting in the passenger seat, rather than trying a contortionist display with a mirror in the footwell.

James

#46 ·
Weird, it just flashes and then stays off, tried putting the bulb in both ways but no joy. Doesn't work one way, and flashes once the other. Put normal bulb back in and fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LEDs only work one way……”directionally” with current…..remove and refit 180 degrees turned. Yes Gran….just teaching how to suck eggs.

#25 ·
Try this, I replaced one of my bulbs with a non canbus led one it it works fine, wonder if I swapped out the other one with LED they would flicker like yours. Might be worth putting the original bulb back in say the passenger one and see if they work ok. This would give a reasonable load if the car expected canbus.

#31 ·
I've had the same problems with LED globes in the puddle lights, with the passenger side one flickering on briefly then turning off. I've tried a wide range of LED globes, some multichip SMDs, some Crees, some COB, inserted both ways round, and it really was hit and miss finding one that actually worked. Stuck the stock globe back in and it worked perfectly. Really weird that I only had this problem with the passenger side one, and for the last year or so I've had completely different globes in, a COB in the driver's side and a multichip SMD in the passenger side and no problems with either of them. It annoys me that the light output, colour and shape is slightly different but no-one but me will ever notice this.
One tip - don't insert the globe holder back into the housing or the housing back into the mirror until you have thoroughly tested that it works, just let the globe hang foul plugged into the globe holder.

#33 ·
Pull the mirror glass off and insert a flat bladed screwdriver through the small slot in the bottom of the mirror to Unclip the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I tried this on both my XFs and both times it didn't work, the clip/assembly didn't budge a micron no matter how hard I pushed with the screwdriver or in which direction I pushed (in, up, down). I think the clip tabs were missing and had been broken off in both cases, because I simply could not see any obvious tab. On both cars I ended up levering the assembly off from the outside, by sticking a jeweller's screwdriver in the join between the assembly and the body of the mirror housing and levering until I had a 1 mm gap, then sticking a bigger flat blade screwdriver in that gap, and gently but firmly levering until it "popped" out. Sometimes after replacing the globe the assembly clipped back in nice and firm, other times it "sagged" and I used black RTV windscreen sealant to hold it firmly in place.
Of course for you James all this only helps if the XJ mirrors and puddle light assemblies are the same as those on the XF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.