Jaguar Forum banner

On street charging

4K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  GeoffW 
#1 ·
Wasn’t sure where to put this as we don’t have a dedicated EV section.

Seems that more and more solutions for on street charging are being developed. I personally like this simple idea I’ve posted previously and Oxford Council are developing it further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
Reactions: JakeBlade
#4 ·
They’ll soon learn it was a bad idea.

#3 ·
That presupposes that you can get to park outside your own house. I doubt that, that scheme will also grant you a disabled-type personal parking space.

#8 ·
True. And it that is discussed in the comments. However having spoken to several friends who live in streets with only on street parking, it’s less of an issue that you think. They are mostly able to park outside their houses, neighbours stick to spaces outside their own houses. Yes there will be times when you can’t but not often and all it takes it’s a knock at the neighbour.

#10 ·
We've also got the world's most stupid politicians who are trying to ban parking on pavements, so I can envisage double yellows going down everywhere otherwise half the roads in Scotland will effectively become single track. In fact I think the bill may have already passed. Absolute loonies.

But I agree that a solution needs to be found, perhaps the channel in the pavement may not be suitable for everyone but we don't have to find just one solution and if it's one of many solutions then I suppose people can choose the best one for them.

#11 ·
Starting to learn that this forum is really full of naysayers. Surprising really.

I think this is a great and simple solution, seems Oxford council and the local government do as well. Yes it’s not perfect but it’s only one many options they are expanding.

Reactions: OBC John and ninjag
#13 ·
Starting to learn that this forum is really full of naysayers. Surprising really.

I think this is a great and simple solution, seems Oxford council and the local government do as well. Yes it’s not perfect but it’s only if many options they are expanding.

I'm very much up for solutions as an EV would probably be perfect for me, or perhaps a PHEV.

#12 ·
Perhaps a topic for another thread but don't get me started about parking on pavements. :mad:

#18 ·
And like I said, this is simple and effective, whilst not perfect. But if you look at the link, there are other plans as well [emoji849]

#19 ·
With a little more development and joined up thinking, the idea could progress into something more viable.

The infrastructure to charge EV’s has to improve and will, another 3-5 years and we will have a fair few options on the table that will meet the needs of the many 😁

#25 ·
Most EVs lock the cable into the car.

#30 ·
#31 ·
Surely the infrastructure needs to develop to such an extent that charging points are provided at every on street parking point, if you use a point within your house post code zone then it would be charged at your home unit rate.

#32 ·
So a solution for the 40% of the population that cannot have thier own charger is to use a neighbour's that does? That'll help about 0.01% at best, what about the other 39.99%? How many here would allow a neighbour to occupy your drive and charger to the exclusion of your own use? You'd need to draw up a rota! And if you both have ad-hoc driving habits? What about the rest of the street? Can't see a sharing scheme getting much uptake. So back to "What are the government going to do for the 40% of the population that cannot reasonably easily charge a BEV?". Yes I know, use hybrids. Or another source of power we're still waiting for.

#33 ·
The number isn’t 40% though. 40% don’t have off street parking but how many of that 40% have a car today?

Like I said, it’s an option.

#34 ·
I'm not anti BEV at all so please don't think I'm knocking them or their owners. I'm quite aware the figures are massaged to slant the real picture and while 40% of the population won't be able to charge a BEV on or outside their property, as you rightly ask, what percentage of that 40% currently own a vehicle, let alone are planning to swap to pure BEV? We must remember of course, the government only mentioned a target for banning pure ICE cars, there's no law even planned for this ban. And should the ban come into effect, the options for a new car will still allow hybrid, with ICEs which aren't planned for a ban until later.

What I am knocking is the state of the current and near future planned infrastructure to enable the general populace, if the wish, to swap to a plug-in BEV.

Reactions: ChrisSB
#35 ·
I am sure I have said this before - the electricity distribution network at a street level simply will not support mulitple chargers on every road, let alone one per house.

In fact, even charging at home on your drive is going to be an issue once takeup gets higher.

The costs and disruption involved to supply the required network are immense, and I would suggest, will prove insurmountable. Who will pay?

Reactions: paulrxf
#38 ·
Spotted in Coventry today.

#40 ·
No different to all the other street furniture. Signs galore.

#41 ·
No different to all the other street furniture. Signs galore.

But adding to an already congested pavement with all the other street furniture, roll on, wireless pad technology 😁

#42 ·
There's quite a lot of them in Nottingham City Centre now that have recently appeared. The Council is very keen on reducing emissions though, most of the Buses are electric too now.

#45 ·
In theory it’s a great idea. Wouldn’t work for everyone though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.