Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20,896 Posts
Thank goodness. I’ve just picked my car up, all fixed and oil tight. My mechanic found no signs of damage other than a degraded oil seal. The diff had lost a small amount of oil over the last 800 miles, but close examination showed the oil in good health, with no filings. I’m £117 poorer, but a lot happier. Thanks for all the advice offered.
Result! And under the circumstances, £117 seems a bargain if you consider: a) what it could have been and, b) what a Jaguar dealer would have charged you! :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Administrator
29,471 Posts
Good price for that, and now...........relax.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
And........ breathe :D

Excellent news.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Result! And under the circumstances, £117 seems a bargain if you consider:
a) what it could have been and,
b) what a Jaguar dealer would have charged you! :eek: /QUOTE]

For information, mine is booked in at my local Jaguar dealer for the same work (under warranty) - cost is £331.92 + £19.75 for oil. Hopefully that will fix the slight weep from the pinion and the diff will survive the surgery!

From what I read in the workshop manual, the crush washer to set the bearing pre-load is not replaced, but things should be OK if the job is done correctly. Time will tell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My chap was apologetic at £117. The part & oil was £17, and he said ordinarily labour would have been 1 hour / £50. But he had some seized bolts which took him to 2 hours.

·
Administrator
29,471 Posts
That is the kind of mechanic we all need.

·
Registered
634 Posts
That is the kind of mechanic we all need.
Indeed Wilf - I would much rather pay a premium rate for a decent spannerman, rather than a main dealer 'technician'.

·
Saintly Member
1,645 Posts
Ditto Philayl, on my old 2.7d the diff was changed also the prop and driveshafts to the later type that is fitted to the 3.0ltr cars as the original Salisbury differential leaked due to carborundum paste being not fully washed out during manufacture, this turned the oil black and tore up the seals.

St Alfie

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Indeed Wilf - I would much rather pay a premium rate for a decent spannerman, rather than a main dealer 'technician'.
Share where you are so maybe others can benefit!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Share where you are so maybe others can benefit!

My mechanic is John Barton at Ribble View Garage in Preston. Absolutely top bloke.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
My mechanic is John Barton at Ribble View Garage in Preston. Absolutely top bloke.
I used to commute back and forth to Preston (180 mile round trip) for 10 months. That was a bad career choice...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I used to commute back and forth to Preston (180 mile round trip) for 10 months. That was a bad career choice...

They must have been paying you well to do that every day mate. On the other extreme, I have two offices: one is upstairs and the other is 1.7 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
29,824 Posts
Luckily mine was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts