Jaguar Forum banner
201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,985 Posts
You guys probably recall I bought a bunch of oil filters from AliExpress a while back, they were being sold as "genuine" in Jaguar branded boxes, with the correct part numbers. I got some more out of curiosity as they were very, very cheap, shipping from China was more than the product. However, they are excellent quality, other members went on to buy some themselves. Herein lies the issue though - while I can't prove they are fakes, the evidence would suggest they are, but they are high quality still. That Fram in the YouTube video is clearly made as a fake, to make a profit, so made as cheap as possible, hence the cardboard core rather than metal. It would surely collapse in use and also likely clog oilways if lose cardboard pieces are expelled? Poor quality fakes are a bane, I've been caught out with fake useless batteries and memory cards so far. Often, the consumer doesn't know they're fakes until the product fails or simply doesn't work. The case with that Fram is it could destroy your engine :(
As noted elsewhere I bought the exact same oil filters you did, based on your post, five of them in fact as they were so cheap. They look the real deal and if they are fakes the faker has done a very good job of it. They have all the correct JLR lettering and codes on both the boxes and the filters.
I did an oil and filter change about a week ago using one of these filters and so far zero problems but of course it is way too early to draw any conclusions.
Seeing as I still have four of them (and an AC Delco one) and they were so cheap I reckon I will cut one open tomorrow and report back on what I find.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That would be interesting. I'm not sure that it can be said that the ones in the video are "clearly fakes", it depends on how they compare to a real one. It wouldn't be the first time a reputed brand has been found out to be not as premium as was believed.

Notably, there are lots of brands now that use old names but are not what they once were. Names like Bush, for example, once well respected a few decades ago, now a "Cheap and cheerful" brand owned by Argos. We don't know if Fram is one of those, maybe taken over by venture capitalists of something like that (I haven't checked).

Update: There are a lot of similar US-made videos about these Fram filters on YT, and I did briefly watch a response video from Fram in which they claim it is not cardboard, but some sort of fibreboard. Well whatever it is, it certainly makes a good impression of being cardboard, but it looks as though this is actually the material they use in the genuine filters, not metal ends like most of the others

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just received my Bosch (P7155) oil filter, opened the box and note that it's only the inner part with the filter media and replacement seal - no metal outer casing. Is that usually the case? I only ask because I don't usually change my own, but was assuming (based on the video) that they came sealed, as therefore complete with a new outer casing.

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Just received my Bosch (P7155) oil filter, opened the box and note that it's only the inner part with the filter media and replacement seal - no metal outer casing. Is that usually the case? I only ask because I don't usually change my own, but was assuming (based on the video) that they came sealed, as therefore complete with a new outer casing.
That's correct. Just the filter, no casing. Plus a rubber O-ring?

Reactions: Coolcity and Gav

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Hi Coolcity, if you want a hand to do the service let me know, I do mine on a regular basis. Phil

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
10,786 Posts
That's correct. Just the filter, no casing. Plus a rubber O-ring?
;)

Good point though John, worth checking..

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi Coolcity, if you want a hand to do the service let me know, I do mine on a regular basis. Phil
That's really decent of you. It's not something I normally do, I've never been confident enough to start tinkering but this is just an oil and filter change. The car's in for the work mentioned earlier to be done, but if, as I suspect, the DPF has not been regenerating then the fuel contamination level in the oil is likely to be high so I thought I had better change it. It's about 6 months since the last one anyway.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
That's really decent of you. It's not something I normally do, I've never been confident enough to start tinkering but this is just an oil and filter change. The car's in for the work mentioned earlier to be done, but if, as I suspect, the DPF has not been regenerating then the fuel contamination level in the oil is likely to be high so I thought I had better change it. It's about 6 months since the last one anyway.
As I said let me know if you want me to assist, I have the gear to do the work. Anyway when you do it only fill to half way between the min and max marks, that way you can keep an eye on it and if it starts rising you know it's getting contaminated with incomplete regenerations and can act accordingly. Phil

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for this guide! The cheapest quote for oil and filter replacement was £130 when last year I was able to get it for £60. I read through this post and managed to buy an extraction tool, a new filter and Shell oil for £90. I can now do next years myself and just pay for the oil and filter. This method only took about 20 minutes!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yep, it is a game changer. My last service, including oil, oil filter and air filter, cost me £61 and took about 30 minutes.

Edit: Actually it cost me less, the oil was £45 for 10ltrs and I still have 4 ltrs left towards the next service, so actual cost was c £40.

Reactions: PeteA and 2win2urbo

·
Registered
350 Posts
As I said let me know if you want me to assist, I have the gear to do the work. Anyway when you do it only fill to half way between the min and max marks, that way you can keep an eye on it and if it starts rising you know it's getting contaminated with incomplete regenerations and can act accordingly. Phil
Thanks, yes that's exactly what I plan to do.

I will bear in mind for future reference if that's OK. I would like to consider changing the brake pads at some point later on but it's something I've never liked to tinker with. The current ones are Pagit branded, and seen to grind a little when as the car comes to a stop. Discs and pads were new when I bought the car a year ago, I thought they may bed on or something but after 5000 miles that's obviously not going to happen. They work perfectly fine otherwise, but the brake dust is terrible.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thank you for this guide! The cheapest quote for oil and filter replacement was £130 when last year I was able to get it for £60. I read through this post and managed to buy an extraction tool, a new filter and Shell oil for £90. I can now do next years myself and just pay for the oil and filter. This method only took about 20 minutes!
Totally agree. I also paid around £130 last time and I've only done 3000 miles since, if that, but it's likely contaminated if the DPF isn't regenerating (see earlier posts), so it will probably need changing again. I got a 12v pump on ebay for £25, so that, the tool to take the oil filter off, the oil and filter still leave me plenty of change from £100, and of course I won't need the tools next time. No brainer really.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Thanks, yes that's exactly what I plan to do.

I will bear in mind for future reference if that's OK. I would like to consider changing the brake pads at some point later on but it's something I've never liked to tinker with. The current ones are Pagit branded, and seen to grind a little when as the car comes to a stop. Discs and pads were new when I bought the car a year ago, I thought they may bed on or something but after 5000 miles that's obviously not going to happen. They work perfectly fine otherwise, but the brake dust is terrible.
Hi, I have used EBC Ultimax pads for some years now, very little dust and stop the car well without any dramas, I marry these with the Piranha brake discs from Ebay, they seem to work well together. Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Found this info about the oil filter housing from the engine manual kindly posted earlier:
"The oil filter housing has a service drain facility. When the cap is unscrewed 3-4 turns, a drain hole is opened allowing oil to
drain into the crankcase. This allows the oil filter element to be removed with no oil contamination of the engine or
surroundings".
Might be useful to unscrew it as suggested before starting the drain (or suck) procedure.
Sorry it is not much help if the filter cover is stuck....

201 - 220 of 223 Posts