Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my own oil service this morning. Here's a few photos and I hope, a helpful description of the procedure.

Posted elsewhere but here's what you're going to need plus a 32mm socket:

20171031_172117.jpg

I bought the extractor off eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-9L-MA...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Get the engine warm but then wait 10 minutes to allow the oil to drain down to the sump. Then up with the bonnet and off with the engine cover. If you've never done that, it just pulls of after first removing the oil filler cap. This is what you'll be looking at -
20171101_102754.jpg

That thing with the hexagonal plastic nut is the filter housing. Employ your 32mm socket to - and get this right or you'll almost certainly let oil drip out - unscrew this 5 TURNS and then leave it to drain.
20171101_102943.jpg

Nest locate what would be the dip-stick . .
20171101_102804.jpg

And take off the top (just half a turn and off it comes) . .
20171101_102820.jpg

At this point you bring the extractor into play and this is where you can benefit from my "mistake". The thing itself comes with three nylon tubes and the instructions say to insert one or other of the two smaller ones down the dip-stick tube until it reaches the bottom. Then attach the big tube and connect other end to the vacuum tank.
No!
I tried this but it soon became apparent that nothing was happening as I was pumping away.
In short, you push one of the rubber connectors over the dip-stick tube itself (thereby creating a seal), push one end of the large (10mm) tube into it . .
20171101_105222.jpg

and the other end into the connector on top of the vacuum tank - like so . .
20171101_105232.jpg

If/when I do this again I'll buy a longer tube though. I had to sit the extractor on an upturned bucket to reach.

Anyway, pump away and lo and behold, the oil veritably gushes into the vacuum tank. Brilliant!

Measuring it afterwards, a good 6 1/2 litres came out (the manual says it should be 6.6 litres).

At this point you can now fully unscrew the filter housing and remove it. There wasn't a single drip when I did it.
This is what you'll see. The filter itself is the circular thing. It took some pulling out as I think it engages over a couple of plastic tabs in the bottom but a small screwdriver pushed into the side enable me to lever it out.
20171101_105619.jpg

Press the new one in and make sure it seats all the way down.
The new filter will have come with an O-ring. You can just make this out in the photo. Pull off the old one. Smear some of the clean engine oil on the new one and put it in place.
Replace the housing with new filter. The manual says torque it up to 25 N-m. I just gave it a firm tug! Felt like 25N-m!

So, now for the new oil. I assumed I'd need the 6.6 litres but initially added just 6.
20171101_111731.jpg

This is what the manual says to do now. Run the engine for 10 minutes. Stop the engine then check the level from the display - turn ignition on and using the trip button on the end of the indicator stalk scroll to the "Oil" display. Now press the "Cancel" cruise button twice within 2 seconds. This refreshes the reading. If the it says level OK, turn off the ignition, wait 5 minutes and then check again. If still OK, then you're good to go.
If it says "Add ? litres", then add what is says. Wait 10 minutes (for the level to settle) and do the check procedure again.

Mine actually said "Add 1 litre"! Meaning that I'd actually be putting 7 litres in. I did and got the "OK" reading.

All done.

Reactions: Chris Q and Miggins

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't Conor. Sorry.

G

·
great john im going to get one of them oil extractors B&Q sells longer tubbing just add end bits nice photos thanks

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great john im going to get one of them oil extractors B&Q sells longer tubbing just add end bits nice photos thanks
Make sure it's nylon though Jimmy. I think the stuff in B&Q and the like is probably going to be polythene. Try Screwfix or Tool Station.

G

·
Make sure it's nylon though Jimmy. I think the stuff in B&Q and the like is probably going to be polythene. Try Screwfix or Tool Station.
thanks mate good photos etc its easy done the same myself on the last xj but the oil extractor was hopeless that one is a good one. cheers

G

·
Excellent John thank you for that.
Have you ever done the Fuel Filter?
fuel filer is easy to its right on top just on passangers side under the bonnet you can clearly see it very close to windscreen when bonnet is up, but it has a water sensor under it I was to chicken to remove it so paid dealer £70 to do it, but bet we could all do it no probs just mark each tupb a diff colour and mark new fuel filter the same bobs yer aunty fanny

·
Registered
615 Posts
Good clear description and photos - thanks for taking the trouble to post this.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Excellent John thank you for that.
Have you ever done the Fuel Filter?
Conor, if you're looking for a how to , see the how to section where I made a guide for servicing the 3.0D inc the filter

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Very clear John, great description. Only question I have is around the actual filter. Does it come with its own housing?

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,260 Posts
Very clear John, great description. Only question I have is around the actual filter. Does it come with its own housing?
No it's just a paper cylindrical filter Gordon.

Reactions: googsy1

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Gavin has said, just the paper element. This is it . . .
uploadfromtaptalk1509563449913.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎

·
Administrator
28,949 Posts
Good write up John.

·
Super Moderator
29,668 Posts
Excellent job John, lots of pics always make for a great ‘how to’

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Very clear write up, very well done.

Still personally prefer to remove oil via the sump plug, but appreciate the extraction method is used by most dealers.

Regards the fuel filter, imo it's easy than what John has done with the oil change.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good one, and thinking about doing this next time.
What you did with the old oil?
Took it straight to my local refuse/recycling centre.
Just as an aside, it was as black as pitch. 😕

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Good one, and thinking about doing this next time.
What you did with the old oil?
Took it straight to my local refuse/recycling centre.
Just as an aside, it was as black as pitch. 😕

It would be John it's a dirty weasel engine, they are all black within ten mins of driving. At least you know the detergents are working.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello, today I ended up doing an oil and filter change.

For some reason I failed to be able to unscrew the oil filter cover. It was so tight my wrench slipped. Do they get pressurised and not want to move? I am guessing it is the normal anti clockwise to unscrew?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 133 Posts