Jaguar Forum banner

Oil service countdown.

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Tedje van Es 
#1 ·
So despite reports that oil dilution is not a problem on a 260 diesel I have lost about 6000 miles in 3000 miles of driving. I never drive less then getting the engine good and warm about 13 miles minimum. I have a petrol for the short distances.
often I go onto the mwah for extra burnout but still baffled by the reduction.
any ideas? Tia

#3 ·
Failing that get a sample of oil tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gav
#5 ·
I changed the oil (5k old) when I bought the car, so it only has done 3k on the new oil. But did not reset the oil interval as I did not know how, I do now, and the 11k remaining would cover me tithe 2 year service in September. Going to be a close call now.
im not worried about the oil quality, just surprised how quickly it counts down
i read there was a software update issued for LRs to allow for 10% dilution rather then 6%.
would that make a difference?

#7 ·
Certainly not going to do an oil change till 21k. Was thinking 1 year or 10k max. Should be better when doing my roundtrip of 115 miles to work when this cr*p is over.

#9 ·
So despite reports that oil dilution is not a problem on a 260 diesel I have lost about 6000 miles in 3000 miles of driving. I never drive less then getting the engine good and warm about 13 miles minimum. I have a petrol for the short distances.
often I go onto the mwah for extra burnout but still baffled by the reduction.
any ideas? Tia
One thing I have noticed as a result of lockdown is that the mileage to service drops by about 44 miles per day if you don’t use the car frequently - so if you leave it a week then it will drop by 350 miles (dash) or 308 on the app (if you check before starting the engine up it will have dropped) so it might just be that (it doesn’t drop the service range any further than that amount after driving so it’s not double counting).

So it might just be that - last year I only did 2400 miles (mostly 15+ mile journeys) and the service distance counted down (with the drops for idle time as above) so that by 12 months it was at 0.

#10 ·
Interesting. So a two year or 21k interval drops to zero in one year........

#11 ·
No. It depends on the service schedule for your car.

The algorithm for calculating when the service indicator lights is based on the actual mileage you do added to a count down of x miles per month to make the 22k/2 year interval come round regardless of whether you do that by mileage or time.

21k over 2 years is 875 miles per month. So if you only do 500 miles in a month it will automatically add 375 miles to the counter. If you do 1000 miles in a month then it won’t add anything and that will come straight off the 21k allowance.

From what I’ve read that’s separate from oil condition messages like monitoring for oil dilution. If will monitor the condition and reduce the service indicator based on dilution so you could find it indicating much earlier even if you are nowhere near the 875 miles/month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies but That makes no sense. Interfering from Jaguar to not trust their drivers To follow the service schedule.
So if I have a six month light schedule followed by six months heavy miles. i would eat up my allowance in the light months That I need in the heavy months.
That would make for an interesting conversation with the service manager getting him/her/it to explain why the service is earlier then it should Be. I’not impressed with that.
anyway I get now what determines the countdown and I will ignore it.
i am planning to follow the 2 year /21k interval and perform an oil and filter service at 1yr/10-11k Whichever is sooner.
I used to do 2k a month in my X type but now work from home and probably only go in once or twice a week so would do about 300 miles a week.

#14 ·
So if I have a six month light schedule followed by six months heavy miles. i would eat up my allowance in the light months That I need in the heavy months.
Not from what I have seen - the “lost“ range based on the time countdown seems to be factored into the calculation so you can “get back” the time reduced distance (for example I did 500 miles over 2 days and the service distance only reduces by 1 days worth of countdown not the distance travelled).

So it in effect looks to catch up/adjust so after 12 months in theory you would end up either at 10,500 miles remaining or the balance of the actual distance remaining if you did more than 10,500 over the year if that makes sense?

#15 ·
Yes. That makes sense. It’s just I have looked only about five times in the last 7 months.
and not regularly. Nor driven any long distances. Thank you.

#16 ·
So what happens if it gets to zero and you ignore it? Do you get a mileage limitation until you cannot start it anymore?
im planning to reset the clock after doing the intermediate oil change. Would that screw up the system if it auto recognises 21/42/63/84k etc intervals?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.