Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the same oil level reading two days on the trot. I park in the same place every night on my drive and check the oil level before I start the car up. Sometimes the marker goes to halfway , other times it shows three quarters and sometimes all the way across but it always says oil level ok. It just seems a bit odd to me, is it something I need to get checked ?

2013 xf 3.0D, 49000 miles.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The manual says you should be checking the oil 10 mins after shut down once the oil is up to temp rather than first thing in the morning.

That doesn’t explain the variations you’re seeing but that is the correct way to check it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Amazed yours displays often enough to notice variation, farcical to get it to display!

Perhaps it has something to do with oil dilution mentioned with the diesel engines, although I am not versed on the range that affects

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Don't forget the display is just what a "normal" dipstick would show between the min/max markers so it isn't changing by much.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This was new info to me.

“The ignition must be left on during the top-up, so that the electronic dipstick can register and display the new oil level.
This enables an accurate level re-check.”

I’ve always turned ignition off, topped up, wait, ignition on and rechecked

I know it says it’s for the 3.0D but i can’t see it being different for other engines in the X250 gen

·
Administrator
27,565 Posts
Not one of the finest features of this engine, I do wonder what was felt to be wrong with a good old-fashioned dipstick.

Reactions: BigKev

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Not one of the finest features of this engine, I do wonder what was felt to be wrong with a good old-fashioned dipstick.
Agree Wilf, absolutely nothing wrong with the old dipstick, one less electronic device to go wrong. Phil

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I suspect because they know that most drivers (especially those in the Jaguar-driver fraternity) don't or won't regularly open the bonnet and pull out a dripping dip-stick. With this system, those same folk still won't look but . . . if there's a problem - too little or too much oil - they'll be told about it before any serious damage can ensue.

Reactions: PeteA and Gav

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
Lady next door has got a Mini Convertible she's had for about 3 years. Came round and said somebody in the Sainsbury's car park told her the fog lights were on, can't see where to turn them off. Went out to have a look and demonstration, Daytime running lights Debbie......eh?

Reactions: BigKev

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm another who would much rather have a dipstick rather than the electronic sensor. In some ways, the sensor does help prevent confusion ....

·
Registered
215 Posts
This was new info to me.

“The ignition must be left on during the top-up, so that the electronic dipstick can register and display the new oil level.
This enables an accurate level re-check.”

I’ve always turned ignition off, topped up, wait, ignition on and rechecked

I know it says it’s for the 3.0D but i can’t see it being different for other engines in the X250 gen
That’s what I was told by my mechanic

·
Registered
471 Posts
After owning 2 XFS's and for over 7 years - never knew you could get the engine oil level to display.

Hanging up my engineering qualifications LMAO TY :)

Reactions: hamedhbb and PeteA

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
:LOL:

Reactions: Miggins

·
Registered
471 Posts
Always done all my oil changes myself in the past but never on the XF as I needed a stamp in the book!

Curious, what's the procedure when topping up or doing an oil change? Assuming approximately the correct amount of oil has been added and its been left to settle.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Always done all my oil changes myself in the past but never on the XF as I needed a stamp in the book!

Curious, what's the procedure when topping up or doing an oil change? Assuming approximately the correct amount of oil has been added and its been left to settle.
I present to you . . .

Reactions: BigKev and Miggins

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks John

1 - 20 of 66 Posts