Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just had a quick question about the reliability of the oil level sensor in these cars. Up until now it’s been showing 1/2 or just over - I checked today and car reckons the oil is full??

Is there any sort of manual/back up method to check the actual oil level?

My friends E60 M5 used to give him false readings all the time, little did he know the oil level was low leading to needing a new engine!

Any help would be great thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn’t give you reading when the engine isn’t up to temp from what I have experienced. Even once at temp it doesn’t give a reading within ~10 mins of turning off

·
Super Moderator
11,366 Posts
Could be diesel dilution of the oil if the level is going up.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be diesel dilution of the oil if the level is going up.
Mines a petrol, it’s the first time I’ve checked it that I’ve had a full reading in the last few months which is why I’m just questioning the reliability.

Plus the horror story of my friends M5!

·
Super Moderator
11,366 Posts
Mines a petrol, it’s the first time I’ve checked it that I’ve had a full reading in the last few months which is why I’m just questioning the reliability.

Plus the horror story of my friends M5!

Ignore that then, wasn't aware of which engine.

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
It's quite sensitive to being on the level, but will tell you to 0.5L if it gets to half.
On the diesel the dipstick is blocked off with a yellow cap, not sure of the petrol but if you've got a yellow cap on what looks like a dipstick tube then you could remove the cap and buy a dipstick

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
On both my XFR and F-Type I had no problem getting an oil level reading first thing in the morning with a cold engine.
If that doesn't work for you try popping the bonnet/hood (again with a cold engine that has not been run for a while), sometimes when the XFR played funny buggers with the oil level readout this worked for me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On both my XFR and F-Type I had no problem getting an oil level reading first thing in the morning with a cold engine.
If that doesn't work for you try popping the bonnet/hood (again with a cold engine that has not been run for a while), sometimes when the XFR played funny buggers with the oil level readout this worked for me.
Ah nice. I’ll give that a try today. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yes there's a procedure for checking the level with the engine cold. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I'm sure it involves opening the bonnet before turning the ignition on.

(I'm a dipstick owner)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using your bonnet method I got an “add 0.5l” message.

I’ve got another thread about a puff of smoke on a cold start. I’m now wondering if it is oil...

I’ve done 5k relatively hard miles since I’ve had the car so maybe it’s within tolerance?

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I first got my 2011 3.0D I ran it for a couple of days and thought it would be a good idea to check the oil level, so I read the hand book which says to do it at working temp. It was about 15 mins before it would give me a reading and when it did it said add half a litre. So I added half a litre and then got a full reading and that's where its stayed for the last three weeks having done about 1500 miles.
My thoughts on this is that maybe it didn't need a top-up at all. If I'd have left it another couple of hours, more oil would have drained back to the sump and given a "full" reading. So I may have over-filled it, who knows? Checking it first thing the next day certainly would have given a "full" reading I think.

When you look at it, all the gizmo and toys we now play with and no one can be sure of how much oil is in the sump. or what oil pressure we have, or how hot the engine is running. Completely daft in my book. Steve

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I first got my 2011 3.0D I ran it for a couple of days and thought it would be a good idea to check the oil level, so I read the hand book which says to do it at working temp. It was about 15 mins before it would give me a reading and when it did it said add half a litre. So I added half a litre and then got a full reading and that's where its stayed for the last three weeks having done about 1500 miles.
My thoughts on this is that maybe it didn't need a top-up at all. If I'd have left it another couple of hours, more oil would have drained back to the sump and given a "full" reading. So I may have over-filled it, who knows? Checking it first thing the next day certainly would have given a "full" reading I think.

When you look at it, all the gizmo and toys we now play with and no one can be sure of how much oil is in the sump. or what oil pressure we have, or how hot the engine is running. Completely daft in my book. Steve
Agreed. I think a physical dipstick should always be standard. BMW are bringing them back on the new 3 series so maybe other manufacturers will follow.

I really couldn’t believe Jaguar didn’t put a temp gauge in the first gen XF. Other than my little Fiat Punto, I’ve never owned a car without one!

·
Administrator
27,853 Posts
Modern oils are so low viscosity that I suspect everything has drained back into the sump 5 minutes or less after switch off.

The treacle I pour into Buttercup ( so she can return it back into the environment one drip at a time) is a bit different.

·
Registered
2010 Le Mans edition XFR
485 Posts
The problem some experience with these electronic oil level readouts makes me think it's well worth buying an oil extraction pump, the electric type. That way, if it really worries you, you can empty the sump and see how much comes out.
I bought one from Lidl a few weeks ago and it works a treat.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My thoughts on this is that maybe it didn't need a top-up at all....... So I may have over-filled it, who knows?
If you have over-filled the display will tell you when you check the oil level and to consult your dealer I believe. Easy to remove 0.5 litre through the oil suction tube, assuming you have an oil suction pump of course.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, I do have an oil suction pump but when I do a reading it doesn't say that I've over-filled.
Thinking back on my old MGZ-TT 2.5 V6. With that car I could push the mileage zero button a few times and I could read how warm the engine was. I'm wondering if there are any secret knobs to push that the service boys at the Jaguar main dealer is keeping quiet about!
Also, does anyone know what oil pressure our 3.0 D engines run at when warmed up? Steve

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've found the oil level guage in the 3.0d to be pretty accurate.
As long as you follow the procedure. The engine has to be at operating temp so best checked after a 20min drive. It has to be on close to level ground, and you have to wait 20 minutes to a half hour after parking the car to take the reading.
And remember the entire span of the guage is only one litre, so don't keep pouring oil in if it says a half litre, that's what you put in.
Better a little low than an overfill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

Just had a quick question about the reliability of the oil level sensor in these cars. Up until now it’s been showing 1/2 or just over - I checked today and car reckons the oil is full??

Is there any sort of manual/back up method to check the actual oil level?

My friends E60 M5 used to give him false readings all the time, little did he know the oil level was low leading to needing a new engine!

Any help would be great thanks!
Hi I bought my Jaguar XF 3.0 supercharged 2016 one day before Jaguar shutdown for Covid 19.
I checked the oil level it was showing 1/2 when I checked it the next day it was full, the next day 3/4 and it’s been fluctuating every day since I’ve had it. The car was purchased from Inchcape Jaguar Norwich with 12 months warranty, I booked it in for the oil sensor to be looked at, on the first visit I was told that the sensor had been changed. The next day the same problem. Went back again two weeks later and they told me it is working fine and it was checked with no problems. Next day oil reading was incorrect. The car was booked in again, this time I had a courtesy car so they had my car for four days.  I have been told again there are no problems and it is working fine. I have given Inchcape numerous pictures of the oil reading with dates and times showing all the faults over several weeks.
I believe that if all Jaguar owners were to check the oil level once a day for a week they would find the same problem and that would force a recall, Jaguar will not tell you about this problem.
If anyone has had the same problem and knows the cause of the problem and have rectified the problem please let me know.
Thanks Glenn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts