Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed earlier that my offside rear indicator wasn't working properly.

Instead of flashing as it should it was just giving a very short blink. Also the green indicator light on the dash was flashing at twice the normal speed which usually indicates a blown bulb. I gave it a tap and it was fine again for a while.

I'm fairly sure that the rear lights on my 2012 car are LED's so does that mean the whole rear light needs replacing? Will my warranty cover it?

Just to add I've been out to check it again and it's working perfectly. Could it be something to do with the hot weather?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Apostrophe Monitor
7,424 Posts
I'm fairly sure that the rear lights on my 2012 car are LED's so does that mean the whole rear light needs replacing?
LED units, to replace, take to dealer, empty wallet & bank account, drive away with that just been mugged feeling.

Jaguar warranty? or A.N.Other? Anyways, Jaguar warranty covers parts that require repair, replacement or adjustment, but are recognised as having a limited service life, are warranted against manufacturing defects for a period of up to and including the first scheduled service or 1 year. Parts in this category include All light bulbs, interior & exterior Except for Xenon headlamp bulbs & the facia/instrumentation illumination which are covered for the full duration of the vehicle warranty.

So in plain English, not covered by warranty unless they fail in the first year or before the first scheduled service.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Could just be a dirty contact on the plug? The plug/socket for the rear cluster is located on the back of the lamp cluster, exposed to the elements. Maybe remove the cluster (3x 10mm nuts) and check the wiring connectors for corrosion?

·
Super Moderator
31,920 Posts
LED units, to replace, take to dealer, empty wallet & bank account, drive away with that just been mugged feeling.

Jaguar warranty? or A.N.Other? Anyways, Jaguar warranty covers parts that require repair, replacement or adjustment, but are recognised as having a limited service life, are warranted against manufacturing defects for a period of up to and including the first scheduled service or 1 year. Parts in this category include All light bulbs, interior & exterior Except for Xenon headlamp bulbs & the facia/instrumentation illumination which are covered for the full duration of the vehicle warranty.

So in plain English, not covered by warranty unless they fail in the first year or before the first scheduled service.
I’d agree if it was a standard bulb but LEDs are different IMO. Log the LED DRL failed during warranty period I would expect this to be covered, for example, so an LED indicator should be the same.

LEDs are not serviceable items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input chaps.

I'll have a look at the connections before anything else.

I'm not really surprised the warranty won't cover it but there's no harm in enquiring.

I've just remembered I have the MOT warranty as well so it might be convenient if it failed at MOT time.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Jay - It does sound like the lamp has an intermittent internal fault, possibly a dry solder joint or similar. As they're sealed units and not serviceable, they should give "reasonable length of service" and if you have any sort of warranty, should be covered. I'd assume they were covered and ask for a replacement, but it'd have to be indicating (pun intended!) the fault for whoever to replace it.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jay - It does sound like the lamp has an intermittent internal fault, possibly a dry solder joint or similar. As they're sealed units and not serviceable, they should give "reasonable length of service" and if you have any sort of warranty, should be covered. I'd assume they were covered and ask for a replacement, but it'd have to be indicating (pun intended!) the fault for whoever to replace it.
I've had a quick look this morning and all is well. I'm not sure how it will perform on the way to work later. At least the light on the dash warns me there's a problem.

I can't see the 3X10mm nuts you mentioned above, I presume they're hidden behind the boot lining.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I can't see the 3X10mm nuts you mentioned above, I presume they're hidden behind the boot lining.
Yes, you need to pull the appropriate lining back. I think you also need to remove the plastic boot latch cover first (across the lower boot opening), 3 plastic expansion trim clips with unscrew-able center pins. Takes only a couple of mins.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Alan.

If I get no luck from Jaguar with regard to replacing it I'll pull it all apart.
Yes, you need to pull the appropriate lining back. I think you also need to remove the plastic boot latch cover first (across the lower boot opening), 3 plastic expansion trim clips with unscrew-able center pins. Takes only a couple of mins.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
If the car is still less than 6 years old you have consumer protection to fall back on with Jaguar. They will rely on people rolling over and paying, but keep badgering them.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any progress on this as I have a similar fault? My query is in the electronics threads.
Yes. 3 weeks later and it's been working perfectly.

I'm keeping a close eye on it though.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lamp replaced under warranty today.

£246 + VAT + fitting cost saved.

The indy I used said he's starting to see a few of these now.

He also seems to think Jaguar have reduced the price of the part possibly because of increased amount of failures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed earlier that my offside rear indicator wasn't working properly.

Instead of flashing as it should it was just giving a very short blink. Also the green indicator light on the dash was flashing at twice the normal speed which usually indicates a blown bulb. I gave it a tap and it was fine again for a while.

I'm fairly sure that the rear lights on my 2012 car are LED's so does that mean the whole rear light needs replacing? Will my warranty cover it?

Just to add I've been out to check it again and it's working perfectly. Could it be something to do with the hot weather?

Hi there, mine has literally started doing that this week. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Have a look at the post before your post in the thread!... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gav
1 - 20 of 30 Posts