Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am relatively new to this forum. I'm looking for recommendations on an OBD Scanner for my 2017 XF 20 D AWD.

I'm planning a 6 month trip across USA and would like to monitor live data like engine coolant temperature, turbocharger temperature, DPF regeneration. I don't work on cars so If something goes wrong during my travel and the car needs servicing, the OBD Scanner may help me understand the problem and scope of the repair. There is 31,000 km on the car.

For the OBD I could use the chip and an app or a handheld device. I'm hoping to spend less than $150 canadian. I have an android phone and tablet.

Thank you.

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
Hi Brian, first of all welcome, to answer your question generally any Bluetooth obd adapter will only provide limited data but will provide basic like coolant temp.
Doubt you鈥檒l get turbo temp but might get dpf regen.
TBH I鈥檓 surprised it鈥檚 a diesel (as most peeps on your side of the pond default to petrol) but personally I wouldn鈥檛 worry about your trip as Ingenium engine is generally very reliable.

Registered
Hi Brian
I鈥檝e just bought the Autel MaxAP AP200 to help with diagnosing my DPF issue.

You get one vehicle make included in the price and can add other makes for 22USD each.

It allows you to see all of the vehicle systems in conjunction with its iOS or Android apps.

I was able to live monitor the DPF temperature sensors, DPF soot percentages, and basically all the live data from the engine sensors. It does the same for each module in the car. All from your phone.

It鈥檚 only 45GPB so worth a try.

Reactions: Gav

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Brian, first of all welcome, to answer your question generally any Bluetooth obd adapter will only provide limited data but will provide basic like coolant temp.
Doubt you鈥檒l get turbo temp but might get dpf regen.
TBH I鈥檓 surprised it鈥檚 a diesel (as most peeps on your side of the pond default to petrol) but personally I wouldn鈥檛 worry about your trip as Ingenium engine is generally very reliable.
Thanks Gav. I'm really happy with the diesel. About every second or third station sells diesel here. Our cetane content is lower apparently. I started using a cetane booster and then stopped after realizing most boosters contain other additives. I don't know much about cars but I read that these additives plug the DPF filter in the long term. These additives are non-combustible and because they don't burn, they coat and eventually plug the DPF filter. Anyhow, I digress: I think this issue is discussed elsewhere in this forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Brian
I鈥檝e just bought the Autel MaxAP AP200 to help with diagnosing my DPF issue.

You get one vehicle make included in the price and can add other makes for 22USD each.

It allows you to see all of the vehicle systems in conjunction with its iOS or Android apps.

I was able to live monitor the DPF temperature sensors, DPF soot percentages, and basically all the live data from the engine sensors. It does the same for each module in the car. All from your phone.

It鈥檚 only 45GPB so worth a try.
Thank you for your informative reply Statler. That鈥檚 sounds like the one. I think I'll get it and will let you know.

Reactions: Statler

Registered
For anyone that鈥檚 interested here is some of the data from the Power Control Module this morning.
I鈥檇 just started my journey.
There are over 50 things that can be monitored and you can turn them on and off if you鈥檙e diagnosing one issue.

This shows the manifold and upper/lower DPF temp sensors in order top to bottom

And the soot level in the DPF itself

Registered
That鈥檚 brilliant it can monitor all that, presumably all that鈥檚 available in sdd too

Registered
For anyone that鈥檚 interested here is some of the data from the Power Control Module this morning.
I鈥檇 just started my journey.
There are over 50 things that can be monitored and you can turn them on and off if you鈥檙e diagnosing one issue.

This shows the manifold and upper/lower DPF temp sensors in order top to bottom

And the soot level in the DPF itself

Distance since DPF regen', 37,000 miles!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Registered
Distance since DPF regen', 37,000 miles!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
37 kilometers

It鈥檚 set to metric units John.

Gav it has everything that SDD has and is much easier to get at and observe. It can be recorded on a run.

Registered
Whilst looking at a few parameters in diagnostics I found my air con pressure is around 300kpa where it should be around 900kpa minimum, must have a leak although it鈥檚 never been topped up in nearly 5 years.
in fact Ive never had to top up any car I鈥檝e had. I know manufacturers recommend every two years or so, how can it escape other than dry seals or a leak?
It鈥榮 never been off and always on auto

Registered
I read somewhere that a car has "natural" refrigerant gas loss of 10% per year, I think it may have been in a car user's manual which stated an air-conditioning service was recommended every other year. Now that's either very wasteful and atmospherically damaging, not least it's shameful the car manufacturers can't make a leak-proof system. Either way, I don't think I've had a car which didn't respond to an air-con service. I usually take advantage of Kwik Fit offers such as it's free if they can't get it colder. That offer did bite them back once though, they didn't take the before air temperature so couldn't prove it was colder so I refused to pay, pointing at their offer!

Registered
I read somewhere that a car has "natural" refrigerant gas loss of 10% per year, I think it may have been in a car user's manual which stated an air-conditioning service was recommended every other year. Now that's either very wasteful and atmospherically damaging, not least it's shameful the car manufacturers can't make a leak-proof system. Either way, I don't think I've had a car which didn't respond to an air-con service. I usually take advantage of Kwik Fit offers such as it's free if they can't get it colder. That offer did bite them back once though, they didn't take the before air temperature so couldn't prove it was colder so I refused to pay, pointing at their offer!
Yeah that鈥檚 what I was hinting at but have never had to top up any car I鈥檝e had.
Perhaps r1234yf has smaller particles, :ROFLMAO:

Registered
We have our Ofiice HVAC systems serviced four times a year and at least one of those is a system topup of a small amount of gas. Those systems runs 12 hours a day though.

I've never serviced the HVAC in a any car I've had either Gav. I must check those pressures.
I noticed that youngest son's 10 year old BMW wasn't blowing that cold and have advised him to get it checked over.

Registered
It was a FM who commented on SS stopped working and when I turned it off it started working immediately perhaps this has been my problem all along, seems likely.

Registered
I do have a rather crude home air-con top-up kit. A hose with a low pressure connector, gauge and connector for the disposable air-con gas cartridges. Can also be used to inject a system sealant if there's minor leaks. Have used it quite a few times on various cars. It's not a brilliant fix but does usually get a system colder. It's no substitute for a proper air-con service with a full vac, water purge and oil & gas replacement but handy for an aging car.

Registered
Jaguar manuals state the loss for the expensive new aircon gas used now is no more than 3% per year. Any thing more means a leak somewhere. My son has an XE and the aircon suddenly failed just within the warranty. The JLR dealer said it was empty and quoted to refill it but I was able to successfully argue Jaguar's own statements that at 3% per year empty was impossible without a leak and there should be at least 91% left. They couldn't find a leak under vacuum but the fluorescent dye they put in did showed where the leak was in an "o" ring joint pipe under the coolant expansion chamber.

Registered
Also beware leaving in a generic OBDII Bluetooth scanner using Torque. I still don't know why but it causes corruption of the car digital coms that can render the gear selector unable to select gear properly on the second or subsequent start of the day. Not good if you're stuck in a junction holding up traffic thinking its time to call for rescue..

Registered
Also beware leaving in a generic OBDII Bluetooth scanner using Torque. I still don't know why but it causes corruption of the car digital coms that can render the gear selector unable to select gear properly on the second or subsequent start of the day. Not good if you're stuck in a junction holding up traffic thinking its time to call for rescue..
This happened to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts