Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not sure what else you could do, may be a more professional hub puller might help. I have a sykes pickavant hydraulic one which seams bomb proof.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just thought though, you may damage the hub or bend the flange with a more powerful puller. Bashing it is not really a good idea.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hitting it with 'reasonable' force while the extractor is tensioned should help rather than cause damage.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep with a bit of heat
Yep with a bit of heat
the new hub puller was way stronger in terms of bolt but the cup failed. What’s your view on cutting the knuckle in half with die grinder to reveal the bearing and then cut the bearing. This way I can buy a second hand knuckle that is already puller out and it’s cheaper than any proper hub puller. And probably job will be done faster :unsure:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think you are right Hamed. I have looked at a few people today with similar problems, a few of them have done just that.
As you say it may be the cheapest and definitely the quickest. I don't rate getting the thing glowing red and hitting it with a sledge hammer as some of them have.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think you are right Hamed. I have looked at a few people today with similar problems, a few of them have done just that.
As you say it may be the cheapest and definitely the quickest. I don't rate getting the thing glowing red and hitting it with a sledge hammer as some of them have.
Yes after breaking the third hub puller I started that. I cut one side that took me 30mins. I will do another cut on the other side tomorrow. It’s not going to budge plus hub might be damaged by then. A second hand hub of similar age and lower mileage is the way for me. It’s aluminium and cuts relatively easy.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Spend 2hours today and cut everything. Now I have only shaft and hub on it. Still won’t budge. At least I can heat it up directly. However I probably going to cut the hub as well. I got a second hand assembly that comes with hub. I should have done this from beginning. It also eliminates any potential problem I had with hub cause that wheel vibration. It also confirms that hub fuses to the spindle. It has nothing to do with bearing to shaft or bearing to carrier.

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
You might be wary of s/h parts which have been subjected to much force to separate them initially?

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
930 Posts
It's good to know before you start what a pain it can be. If I have to do it I will take your lead Hamed and cut it if it don't go first time.
Wilf has a point but you can get a refund as a rule.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thinking about it, there ain't many things on these cars that ain't a pain in the arse to do. Pity the rest of the car isn't as easy as the oil filter and map sensor. So many things could be so easy and quick to do with a little more thought from JLR. For example that LP A/C pipe, a simple joint behind the radiator would save hours of work, they have one on the top of the wing on the HP one. Bolts on the suspension, The long battery bolt, etc. Ah well that's my Rant.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You might be wary of s/h parts which have been subjected to much force to separate them initially?
I see the point. I have spoken with a local machine shop. They are going to turn hub to check and if needed correct them for £20 and a google review. They accept returns however.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thinking about it, there ain't many things on these cars that ain't a pain in the arse to do. Pity the rest of the car isn't as easy as the oil filter and map sensor. So many things could be so easy and quick to do with a little more thought from JLR. For example that LP A/C pipe, a simple joint behind the radiator would save hours of work, they have one on the top of the wing on the HP one. Bolts on the suspension, The long battery bolt, etc. Ah well that's my Rant.
Totally agreed. I have experienced this in many areas of my jag.
From what I have seen, this type of hub is the design mostly used on fords and some hondas. I am not still sure why one side was very easy to come off and this side is stuck. Maybe hub was bent and that made it stick like that? 🤔 the balls in side bearing didn’t look bad. Also races. Not sure were was the wobble from. when it’s out I will see.
I bought an air hammer for this job and I wasn’t expecting it to be this much handy. It presses out studs in 5second. Also to cut bearings or carrier I only cut half way and air hammer was able to crack the rest of it quickly.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts