Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would start a thread for the noise I can hear from rear while driving to have your help and record it for future problems other could have.
It started few weeks ago and originally was only noticeable in motorways. Now I can hear the noise from 30mph.
I did jack the car and spin rear tyres, rims and tyres were fine. No abnormal movements that could indicate bearing, bushes or joints are gone.

originally thought it’s bearing but I cannot hear anything when manually spin it.

noise is only dependent on speed. Turning, braking, accelerating, selecting different gears, none will affect the noise at all. At 30-40mph I can count the harmonics. It’s like something catches the wheel once in each revolution or there is a bent rim. The only other thing I spotted today is that immediately after a motorway drive, rear left hand disc is much warmer than all other 3. Forgot to mention that there is a tiny vibration synced with the noise felt in the cabin.Very similar to when rear wheels are out of balance.

I would appreciate any thoughts/experiences about where to start the investigation? I have already checked rims and tyres with a dial indicator. Which one you do next:
balance tyres
swap front/rear wheels
Check, clean or replace brake discs
Check diff/ drive shaft
Change wheel bearing

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Hi Hamed, if your left rear disc is warmer than the other I'd start on the corner, more exactly the brakes, sticking calliper or slide pin 'rubbers' maybe?

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hi Hamed, if your left rear disc is warmer than the other I'd start on the corner, more exactly the brakes, sticking calliper or slide pin 'rubbers' maybe?
This is where I'd start as well. It was my rear nearside caliper which was the problem for me which became evident when it wouldn't wind back in.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Agreed. I hope it is. Diff or Wheel bearing are more time consuming to change.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is where I'd start as well. It was my rear nearside caliper which was the problem for me which became evident when it wouldn't wind back in.
What sort of noise was it making?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
google saw tooth tyre wear. Maybe this
Thanks. I will try this next. Put tyres to front and see if the noise follows. One video suggested sawtooth can cause wheel bearing failure. I don’t understand why but they could be interconnected.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost like a rumbling, similar to when the road surface changes to that hard concrete type, except it started doing it all the time. The wheel was stonking hot.
Will check the brakes over weekend then. My noise is different but disc was hot. When started sound more like rumbling but not now. When I manually rotated wheels pads were touching the discs but I could still turn in.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Will check the brakes over weekend then. My noise is different but disc was hot. When started sound more like rumbling but not now. When I manually rotated wheels pads were touching the discs but I could still turn in.
Could just be the slide pins? Would be a bonus if that's all it is!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Almost like a rumbling, similar to when the road surface changes to that hard concrete type, except it started doing it all the time. The wheel was stonking hot.
I forgot to add, there was vibration as well. The kind you get on a constant bad road surface, not pot holes etc but where the actual surface is just really crap.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to add, there was vibration as well. The kind you get on a constant bad road surface, not pot holes etc but where the actual surface is just really crap.
I have that as well. I didn’t get a chance to start it yet. I am still 50-50 if to buy a new set of rear discs and pads just in case I found an issue or just wait to see what is happening.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I have that as well. I didn’t get a chance to start it yet. I am still 50-50 if to buy a new set of rear discs and pads just in case I found an issue or just wait to see what is happening.
I would probably do a quick check of the slide pins first before buying anything as it's so quick and easy to see if they are sliding easily without removing anything else. If there's a lot of resistance as mine had (when my slide pins were an issue) then I'd probably order up discs and pads as the caliper would be coming off for a full clean up job.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the LH wheel. Didn’t have 7 hex so the rest is posted until after bank holiday. There was definitely no bearing noise when turned by hand. Slider pins were free. However, brake pads where low, like 4-5mm. I decided to order discs and pads for next time I jack it up.
there were two things I noticed. First, it was very difficult to spin the disc by hand. I had to use a screw driver between studs. I am not sure if that’s normal due to diff and gearbox. I could turn it with the wheel on.
second thing was, I felt threads are a little more worn towards the outside edge. The deepest was inner and get shallow towards outer. I couldn’t see his on the other side. Checked all the bushes and spring. All solid. Also there was no play in bearing or suspension. Will know more when I take the calliper off.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If the pads are off and it still is stiff its's the bearing (had it twice on the Mondeo)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm guessing the pads were still on if you didn't have a 7mm hex (got to love Jaguar for that one). Mine were stiff to turn with new calipers, discs and pads on but I can't remember what it was like with the pads off.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you.
Yes pads were still on but I could manage to make about 1mm gap there. Made no difference. I have to wait for parts and tools to arrive before I can continue.I guess it was due to worn pads but piston seem awkwardly out. Like 30mm out of where it can wind back to.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started this today. I managed to turn DSC completely off and spin the wheels. Right hand bearing was noisy. That’s confirmed. There was no play at all until I pulled our the half shaft. It now make noise when turned by hand but it order to reveal the play in the bearing, I had to use a bar. That’s strange.
the left side is even more strange. When spin the wheel by hand everything is fine. There is no play at all or noise. But when I was spinning wheels at 30mph, wheel wobbles exactly like a bent rim. I swapped the wheels and it did the same. I hope it’s the bearing but only I can confirm this when I take the bearing out.
right now my problem is to find something that sits around the hub in order to use bearing press and push the hun out of bearing. I cannot find that special tool from WM and universal ones doesn’t seem to fit.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well found Hamed now the fun begins. The left one sounds more like a bent shaft or hub not running true. It may be worth putting a dial gauge on the hub first.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well found Hamed now the fun begins. The left one sounds more like a bent shaft or hub not running true. It may be worth putting a dial gauge on the hub first.
I am going to take hubs to a workshop to make any corrections needed. However, the left half shaft doesn’t budge unlike right bearing. Heat and hammer didn’t help. Hub puller bolt is damaged. I really don’t know what else I could do other than buying a heavier hammer or a larger diameter bolt for the puller. Any ideas would be much appreciated. If I know the half shaft is not stuck to diff, I rather pull them together buy a second hand one to replace it. Not sure how to check it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts