·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
with even more potential sales?
no FPace to compete against for one.

·
Administrator
31,385 Posts
I don't actually see the F Pace as a RRS competitor, more an X5/Q5 type of thing.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
F-Pace vs Q5 and X3.

X5 is in Q7 / RRS territory and Jaguar have no competitor.

Shame to lose it as it is a great car, esp. in facelift form. The SVR is a weapon.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
I don't actually see the F Pace as a RRS competitor, more an X5/Q5 type of thing.
IIRC the fPace is about the same size as the Velar ( christ, how much do I miss mine..,except for the ruinous mpg).

Edit..
As for off road ability...how many of us who have owned or rented a RR actually took them properly off road?

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
IIRC the fPace is about the same size as the Velar ( christ, how much do I miss mine..,except for the ruinous mpg).
May well be but I know which one I'd choose over the other. (Hint: it ain't the P-Face)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There’s a 2 year wait for the new RR and RRS and the new Defender isn’t much less just now.

Be interesting to see how much profit they making in the near future.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
Edit..
As for off road ability...how many of us who have owned or rented a RR actually took them properly off road?
The last Land Rover we had was a Discovery and I managed to get it stuck at the bottom of our (now) garden on dark winter night. That was a serious lesson on how it worked. I eventually moved enough levers and set enough buttons to crawl out.
I did it again in daylight just to see if it was a fluke but it wasn’t. Apart from the unnerving lean going round corners it was a great car.

·
Super Moderator
32,613 Posts
I really don’t think Jaguar are going SUV only. Hey even said the XJ name would come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
31,385 Posts
Don't think anyone suggested that Chris? Merely that they are going fully BEV and very much upmarket in pricing.

·
Super Moderator
32,613 Posts
Don't think anyone suggested that Chris? Merely that they are going fully BEV and very much upmarket in pricing.
Look at the OP. It’s the premise of this entire thread.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I suspect there will be a large BEV SUV at the top of the range like the RR Vogue, or Bentley Bentagya alongside the XJ barge.

Both will command reassuringly expensive price tags.

·
Super Moderator
32,613 Posts
Most likely. If they go that expensive.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
Didn't Thierry Bolloré, in his "Reimagine" announcement about the rebranding of Jaguar Land Rover, say that the Land Rover brand would concentrate on the SUV market while both brands would move up into the "sustained modern luxury" sector, and be dedicated to EV? But I don't see anywhere where he says Jaguar won't produce an SUV. I see it that while LR vehicles may be luxury SUVs, they are still true off-road-capable cars, the SUVs under the Jaguar brand are more sports car than utility car, as befits the Jaguar name. My F-Pace couldn't compete with a Discovery off-road in severe terrain.

·
Super Moderator
32,613 Posts
That's exactly what he said.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jaguar will do what Jaguar are best at --- imploding. Their mindset hasn't changed since the 70s - They get bailed out by someone else who give them some great designs - Jaguar then produce and keep producing until they can't sell anymore and all their storage facilities - ie open fields and ex airports are jam packed - then they announce redundancies after a few months of layoffs. Short-sighted too, design and build a Diesel engine plant - as the world is changing to hybrid / electric and governments turn against diesel.

Their aspirations can't be faulted it's just they cannot deliver long term what the public wants. They really do need to either scale down to a low volume quality marque or wrap up and let the public remember them for their flagship models of the past - XJ, E Type, XK, Mark 2.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle

Every LR we’ve ever had in the family has seen the fields at some point. When they’re still “new” they only go in when its dry, when they get older they start to see mud. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I supect that the JLR management are taking this risky (upmarket) strategy feeling there is little to lose. I once heard that the Jaguar side of JLR makes very little profit (if any). It is the land rover division that is by far the most profitable. I hope I am wrong since want to see Jaguar survive and keep making 'affordable' cars...

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,379 Posts
It’s been that way for a long time, LR effectively keeping them afloat

·
Super Moderator
32,613 Posts
Which is incredible considering the reputation LR has.

Reactions: Gav
21 - 40 of 52 Posts