Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was with a client of mine today who is a senior team member of a firm with strong links to JLR. We got talking about Jaguar and he informed me that the plan going forward is to focus on the super premium SUV market. This means no XE or XF going forward.

They are apparently going to attempt to compete with Bentley. The powers that be don't feel they can try and compete with the likes of BMW anymore. Instead they plan to produce between 45 - 50 thousand of these ultra premium cars where the margins are much higher.

I was also told that they had the next XJ 95% completed until it was totally shelved. No new XFs or XEs have been made the past six months due to chip shortage as the SUV market provides higher margins the chips have been allocated to these models.

JLR are also looking at manufacturing the chips in house out of wafers much like Tesla do.

Anyway I have no idea if it's all true but he is a pretty knowledge chap.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
I mentioned this elsewhere. Our Jaguar sales person believes that XE, XF and iPace will go.
The next cars will be luxury, electric and reassuringly expensive.
Sad day for those of us that have supported the brand, but they definitely can't compete with the established 'company lease car' brands.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
Never been in a Bentley dealers but I'll bet their customers don't get treated as Joe Public do in a JLR dealer. Hence my expectation that JLR are opening their own global network of showrooms where they will offer customers the courtesy, facilities and pleasantries that the new luxury branding will need.

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts
Been in the car media for a while now although I heard they were aiming for the gap between BMW and Mercs premium models and Bentley, not going after Bentley directly.

I can see the I-PACE being our last Jaguar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts
Never been in a Bentley dealers but I'll bet their customers don't get treated as Joe Public do in a JLR dealer. Hence my expectation that JLR are opening their own global network of showrooms where they will offer customers the courtesy, facilities and pleasantries that the new luxury branding will need.
They have to do something as the current dealer network is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My last service at MK was very pleasant, significant discount as well as 2 cuddly toys for my girls. Prior to that (regardless of dealership) it’s been adequate, no complaints but nothing to write home about either.

Back in for a service on Friday so let’s see what that experience is like.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well again, I can only go by my personal experience and I DO get treated as a valued customer at Listers in Droitwich. Maybe they're vying for one of the Benguar dealerships. :D
I agree. I've never gone in to Listers in Droity and not been treated well. I will add, I also go in scruffy clothes just to buy parts.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
No !
I've been around a while; had my 1st Jag in the 60s. They were always noted for their value for money.

Reactions: JaguarDriver

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
In 1963 an E-Type / XK-E was around £2100 which as a lot cheaper than a Ferrari of the time. Also a much better car.
In 1963 my parents bought their first house, a 3 bed, detached property. It was £2200.
It's current value is roughly £275,000

That should give you an idea where Jaguar would like to be - ie low volume, high margin.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
North London suburb, 3 bed semi, parents bought in 1973 at £4,100 and I sold it this year for £540,000 with no real modifications or changes to the structure. Same kitchen even.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Here we go. :rolleyes:

Well, my parents paid £3-7s-6d for their first 3-bedroom tent and I've just sold it for £95m.

Beat that! 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Gav
1 - 20 of 52 Posts