Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new to this I bought a jaguar s type 2003 about 7 months ago and the other day restricted performance came up and alot of juddering I have had a look and one the spark plugs has oil coming up past it anyone know what I need to do to fix is it as simple as changing gasket underneath and replacing the spark plug? Cheers for any help you can give. Ben

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Hi Ben
Welcome
A picture would be very useful, you can do that after two or three posts.

It could be as simple as a loose spark plug, where the fuel is seeping past the plug and reducing compression in that cylinder.

Or a failed plug insulator, again allowing fuel past it.

At worst it could be a head gasket failure, which is a reasonably big job.

I’d start with a new set of plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Or you could look on the bright side, it might be broken piston rings letting the oil past on that cylinder!!!! Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for help I'm going try replace spark plug and see what happens from there hopefully that sorts it as really don't want get rid of it or spend out loads money as currently in middle of moving.

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
Not familiar with the V6 Petrol engine but might the oil be leaking downwards from the top valves cover?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
17,636 Posts
Spark plug - always the simplest thing first.

But Phil has a point - at worst it could be the piston rings letting oil past.

Other things to consider - head gasket or cracked head around the spark plug.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Hello & welcome

·
Administrator
27,247 Posts
S types of that era were prone to coil pack failures, too. Should be able to get a code to confirm.

And ditto to what Geoff said about the cam cover leaking oil into the spark plug well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts