Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all .. I have just bought a 2014 Xf 2.0 turbo petrol, first time owning a Jag
and must say I am loving it so far.

However there is one niggle and that is when I fill up with fuel, goes like this:

1.Take cap off and fill up full till nozzle clicks, screw on cap till it clicks.
2. Press start button and the engine sort of starts but runs with a loud
clicking sound and as if its not firing on all cylinders.
3. Turn of engine and restart, all fine, happens every time I fill.

What could be causing this .?, only ever happens when I fill up. Tried to replicate
in the driveway opening flaps and cap etc but its fine.

Any suggestions welcome, its got me beat.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
There's absolutely no reason that it would occur due to filling it with fuel. Petrol doesn't foam etc so as soon as it's full it shouldn't be any different in the tank from when it was say quarter full.

I suspect it's either an electronic fault from the process of opening the flap, or a warm restart issue.

I'd be tempted to recreate getting the car warmed up, stopping it and then restarting it within the same time period as if you've filled up.

Then do the same but open the flap also.

The only thing I can possibly think is if there's a fuel tank breather/pressure relief from the fuel pump which is being somehow affected from the tank being filled?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I have tried warm start and replicating opening the flap removing cap etc
and it will start perfectly.

It is definitely only when it is fuelled up, there must be a sensor getting triggered
somewhere by the fuel.

Do they have a sensor that detects wrong fuel type like the diesels if you put petrol
in? or some kind of overflow sensor maybe.

I will try not filling up to full next time maybe just three quarters and see if it still plays up.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Watched a video where a guy had a similar issue and it was the vapour canister purge valve which needed replacing.

Also, not sure what you do but I always stop at the first click. Can't remember why but I believe it can be bad to brim it. Perhaps previous owner had been doing this. Something to do with the fuel getting into the filter or venting system. Google will probably know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ninjag I think you are spot on mate … I googled the symptoms and it looks exactly like what is happening to mine.

Next question would be if anyone knows where the purge valve is located on an XF ?, could not find any answers
on google.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ninjag I think you are spot on mate … I googled the symptoms and it looks exactly like what is happening to mine.

Next question would be if anyone knows where the purge valve is located on an XF ?, could not find any answers
on google.
Hi Grossenbol, may I ask if you had you starting problem after refuelling resolved? what parts replacement did you change to solve your issue? My Jag is same model and year as yours I have the same symptom as you described. Hope to receive your contribution in order not to spend unnecessary on replacing the good parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts

on google.
Hi Ninjag, are you are able to share the link to the video. Also the fuel tank drawings which you showed is for Diesel.... will it be the same for petrol?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Hi, I don't think the OP has been seen for quite a while. Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts