Jaguar Forum banner
181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The box in that looks like a scaled down version of the transfer box in the Range Rover rather then the haldex box on the Evoque I think.

The interior trim you’ve changed looks great in comparison to the originals! :)

I really like the F-Pace and would love an SVR version… Just don’t love the premiums they attract at the moment!

David.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Thanks David. Some bloke on Ebay listed all 4 door caps and the central console trim in satin grey figured ebony and a few other trim bits for £200, I almost bit his hand off! A single ebony door trim is that on its own and these were totally unmarked. I was considering an SVR, but it's my daily runner and I already have the 5.0 XKR. Plus an SVR is stupid expensive in comparison. Must admit the V6 supercharged is nothing like the V8 supercharged though. All high pitched and revvy, though it does have plenty of get up and go, 380BHP still doesn't compare to the power and torque of the V8. The V6 isn't suitable for a smaller supercharger pulley, stock it's already smaller than the V8, so it ends up too small and can generate belt slip. It needs a larger crank pulley and a remap. There's a smaller charger pulley available that's got some anti-slip coating but that's just pushing it too far I think. Plus the pulley on its own does very little without the remap. Also needs a sports exhaust. But will I tune it? Probably not. It's my daily...

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,929 Posts
Thanks David. Some bloke on Ebay listed all 4 door caps and the central console trim in satin grey figured ebony and a few other trim bits for £200, I almost bit his hand off! A single ebony door trim is that on its own and these were totally unmarked. I was considering an SVR, but it's my daily runner and I already have the 5.0 XKR. Plus an SVR is stupid expensive in comparison. Must admit the V6 supercharged is nothing like the V8 supercharged though. All high pitched and revvy, though it does have plenty of get up and go, 380BHP still doesn't compare to the power and torque of the V8. The V6 isn't suitable for a smaller supercharger pulley, stock it's already smaller than the V8, so it ends up too small and can generate belt slip. It needs a larger crank pulley and a remap. There's a smaller charger pulley available that's got some anti-slip coating but that's just pushing it too far I think. Plus the pulley on its own does very little without the remap. Also needs a sports exhaust. But will I tune it? Probably not. It's my daily...
C'mon, man up and whack a crank pulley and tune on it, you know you want to!
Seriously it is the best bang for your buck you can get on the V6, it is perfectly reliable, and best of all it will fix any complaint you have about lack of low down / mid-range torque.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Hmm, maybe.... one day, perhaps.... But it does make me very much appreciate the XKR each and every time I drive it.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Haldex transfer gearbox oil change, take two. Felt more in the mood today to have a proper go at changing the oil in the transfer gearbox.

Undertray off.
Small exhaust shield off.
Cable bracket off.
Transfer box NVH damper off.
NVH damper bracket off.
Support gearbox, remove gearbox mounting bracket.
Loosen both upper and lower fill plugs.
Drain both upper and lower sumps.
Remove oil pump.
Clean oil pump strainer.
Refit oil pump.
Refill both upper and lower sumps with fresh Haldex oil.
Refit all removed items.
Have a beer.

Old oil was fairly black and a quite gritty.
View attachment 192365
View attachment 192364
Oil pump strainer wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting though.
View attachment 192366
Cleaned it anyway.
View attachment 192367
Total job took about 6 hours, working slowly. Real pain to get access to the drain and fill plugs and get the oil pump off.
Still, the oil was definitely due a change, the car has done 34,000 miles. There no way this unit would survive 100,000 miles without an oil change, the grit and debris from the clutch friction material circulating in the oil would destroy the oil pump.
I did my gearbox oil last Saturday, which also includes the front diff and the transfer case. I'm at 70k miles and the fluid didn't look too bad. I also did my rear and it looked a little better, but I also would not be comfortable running these fluids to 100k miles. I actually wish I'd done it sooner. There were no grit in mine though, but I think there's quite a lot of powerful magnets within. Either that or they are still floating around inside! lol

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
The grit in the transfer box fluid appears to be friction material, presumably from the wet multi-plate clutch. Most was collected from the upper sump by the oil pump when it was removed. I'd imagine much the same as clutch-packs in the autobox, but that at least has a fluid filter, the transfer box doesn't, just the mesh on the pump inlet, as per my photos. There's been quite some talk on other forums of Evokes and other LRs having transfer box oil pumps or the whole box replaced due to internal failure.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts