Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I got some misinformation and I got some problems now...

I bought a good as new Matavia 20 inch rim set with winter tyres 245/40R20 front and 275/35R20 rear because I like them.
I currently had 20 inch volans with summer tyres 255/35R20 front and 285/30R20 rear.

Well 20 inch Volans to 20 inch matavia's that would seem okey to me (20 inch = 20 inch)?
Maybe not it appears the ET value is a bit bigger?
Is this an issue?

Then tyres I had 255/35R20 front and 285/30R20 rear on the volans (summer tyres).
now went to 245/40R20 front and 275/35R20 rear (winter tyres)
1) --> issue it seems my front wheels hit the "inner casing" when full turning...
2) --> also seem to have a drag to the right now a bit (when steering wheel is straight the car moves to the right)
I did not have this with my summer tyres at all

Any tyre expert can help out please :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS the rims are actually slightly different too I just see
ET 8.5J and 9.5J volans vs 9J and 10J on the matavia's

ofset on the front is the same 49 (whatever that means)
Rear volan is 66 but cannot find the value for the matavia...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello, offset on the rear are different. I went from the SV8 with a spare set off Volans and winter tyres to the XJ. The front wheels worked fine but rears no were near on the XJ. So first year winter I had Volans on the front and Kasaga on the rears.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 2009-2010 XF (delivered in 2010 but made in 2009).

The alloys seem to be different:
Volans:
This Factory OEM Jaguar rim comes equipped on a 2008-2009 Jaguar XF. This is an aluminum wheel with a diameter of 20" and a width of 8.5". This Jaguar XF wheel has 5 lug holes and a bolt pattern of 108mm. The offset of this Jaguar XF rim is 49mm.
Rear volan:
Rim Diameter: 20 Rim Material: Aluminium
Rim Width: 9.5J Manufacturer Part Number: Does Not Apply
Offset: 49 Brand: JAGUAR
Number of Studs: 5 EAN: Does not apply

Thats what I got off the volans...

Front matavia:
Product Number W59871MS
Brand Factory OEM
Material Aluminum
Size 20" x 9"
Diameter 20"
Width 9"
Lugs 5
Bolt Pattern 108mm
Offset 49mm
Style 5 Triple Spoke
Part Number C2D10951
Finish Machined with Silver
Year 2015
Make Jaguar
Model XJ
SKU W59871MS-6

Cant get specific details for matavia rear:
.............. anyone can get this?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
It's not only about the inches. :) ET (Einpresstiefe) is the offset. I'd check the ET values of the new rims and your original ones, and read up (google is your fried :)) on how ET works.

Small differences in ET should be fine, but if it's more maybe it messes things up. I used to have after market winters with a 4 mm ET difference (sitting 4 mm more proud) and that was no problem.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The diameter of the 245/40/20 tyre is 18mm more than the 235/35/20 & thats likely to be your problem.

The wider rim with an ET49 offset shouldn't make much difference seeing as the tyres are 10mm narrower than the 255's they're replacing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The diameter of the 245/40/20 tyre is 18mm more than the 235/35/20 & thats likely to be your problem.

The wider rim with an ET49 offset shouldn't make much difference seeing as the tyres are 10mm narrower than the 255's they're replacing.
So TheStig you are to me a source of authority when it comes to jags even though you switched to BMW :p

2 questions I would like that you answer it:
Do you think if I buy new front tyres:
255/35R20 my problem(s) are solved?
At least the tyres touching the inner fenders...

I got no clue to be honest I went to a rim shop and said I want jag rims and he gave me these and the original tyres sizes that belong on it...
I did mention I want 255/35R20 and 285/30R20 but he said these were fine... Guess not on the front!!!

But what about the rear the matavia 275/35R20 is that ok to replace my volan 285/30R20 ?

Because I am not sure if the problem is the "rims" or the tyres? or a combination?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
So TheStig you are to me a source of authority when it comes to jags even though you switched to BMW :p

2 questions I would like that you answer it:
Do you think if I buy new front tyres:
255/35R20 my problem(s) are solved?
At least the tyres touching the inner fenders...

I got no clue to be honest I went to a rim shop and said I want jag rims and he gave me these and the original tyres sizes that belong on it...
I did mention I want 255/35R20 and 285/30R20 but he said these were fine... Guess not on the front!!!

But what about the rear the matavia 275/35R20 is that ok to replace my volan 285/30R20 ?

Because I am not sure if the problem is the "rims" or the tyres? or a combination?
You need to examine the point where the tyre is catching & determine if it's increased diameter that's responsible. Without seeing the contact area, it's just mathematical theory.

Are you sure the front offset of the new wheels is ET49?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not only about the inches. :) ET (Einpresstiefe) is the offset. I'd check the ET values of the new rims and your original ones, and read up (google is your fried :)) on how ET works.

Small differences in ET should be fine, but if it's more maybe it messes things up. I used to have after market winters with a 4 mm ET difference (sitting 4 mm more proud) and that was no problem.
So I looked at a video and what I get from it the more the offset the more the rim will stick OUT of the car so more offset "looks" nicer?
Bee has his tyres sticking out of the car ;) that blue pimped XF :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You need to examine the point where the tyre is catching & determine if it's increased diameter that's responsible. Without seeing the contact area, it's just mathematical theory.

Are you sure the front offset of the new wheels is ET49?
Front:
This Factory OEM Jaguar rim comes equipped on a 2008-2009 Jaguar XF. This is an aluminum wheel with a diameter of 20" and a width of 8.5". This Jaguar XF wheel has 5 lug holes and a bolt pattern of 108mm. The offset of this Jaguar XF rim is 49mm.

Now the Matavia's front:
Size 20" x 9"
Diameter 20"
Width 9"
Bolt Pattern 108mm
Offset 49mm

It seems the the J value is different though which stands for the Width? does that matter? 8,5 to 9"

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
So I looked at a video and what I get from it the more the offset the more the rim will stick OUT of the car so more offset "looks" nicer?
I think you have it the wrong way round - the higher the ET/offset, the more the wheel is moved inwards. With the same ET value, your inner bead will be half of 1/2" closer to the wheel housing, i.e. about 6 mm. The tread is 10 mm less so the net result is the edge of the tyre at the tread may be 1 mm closer to the housing but this depends on what shape the tyre adopts when inflated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you have it the wrong way round - the higher the ET/offset, the more the wheel is moved inwards. With the same ET value, your inner bead will be half of 1/2" closer to the wheel housing, i.e. about 6 mm. The tread is 10 mm less so the net result is the edge of the tyre at the tread may be 1 mm closer to the housing but this depends on what shape the tyre adopts when inflated.
Can I solve this somehow? I recall bee had spacers or is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way, here are the values from the COC.
View attachment 155242
yeah my summer tyres and rims match the "last two" options
Volans
255/35 R20 97 X/L Y 8,5Jx20x49 (front)
285/30 R20 99 X/L Y 9,5x20x66 (rear)

so new rims are

9J x 20 x 49 (front)
10 x 20 x ?? (rear) dunno what the matavia 20 inch rear is tried to google it couldnt find it :(

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
That's the wrong way round. Increasing the offset moves the centreline towards the face of the wheel, bringing it more inboard.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Front:

Now the Matavia's front:
Size 20" x 9"
Diameter 20"
Width 9"
Bolt Pattern 108mm
Offset 49mm

It seems the the J value is different though which stands for the Width? does that matter? 8,5 to 9"
Yes.....J is the width. Clearly this has increased by 6mm each side of the mounting face, but that shouldn't be the problem as the tyre (245 & 255) is much wider than the rim (228mm).

That's why I think this is a diameter issue.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The offset on those Matavias should be about the same as the offset on the XJ venoms. I posted the numbers up on a thread the other week - will try to find it in amongst all my usual useful stuff on gentlemen's braced bathing briefs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts