Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have finally got myself a jaguar after wanting one for many years, I normally run older cars and do all of my servicing and repairs myself so not sure how I'm going to get on with it .
It was a bit of an impulse buy whilst browsing XFs for sale I came across a very cheap 2.2 facelift for sale and had to have a look at it.
It has 160000 miles on the clock with jaguar service history up to 125000 miles and a service with cambelt and water pump at 140000 miles, it drives very well and shows no signs of the mileage in the way it goes or feels and everything important seems to work as it should.
There are some issues such as only one key a scraped front bumper,a few small rust areas and two of the dash vents have been damaged by a phone holder and no longer rotate but so far nothing major.It was cheap enough to not mind spending a bit on it to bring it up to scratch though.
I found a loose wire on the battery terminal and after disturbing it I have the charging fault showing but it's the BMS lead and assume that if it securely fit it the fault should clear which is this morning's first job.
I'm sure there will be plenty of information that I need and am probably going to spend hours going through past postings on here to learn more about these cars.
Paul.

·
Administrator
29,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Welcome Paul and congratulations on your new car. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome. If you still have charging faults after the cable issue give us all a shout, I am sure we will be able to help.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Hello & welcome, stay safe. Good choice of car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome from a new owner also.
you may have already discovered that you can set the vents to always open? Might be preferable for the moment so you don’t continue to see this.

interested in hearing about the rust, where is it?

I also do my own spannering, the last time I let a garage work on one of my cars, it came back with a stripped sump plug thread. Mini, aluminium sump.

I’m Just tooling up for the cam belt, fuel pump belt and serpentine belt change. V6

There’s a link to the dealer manual available, which covered everything over 3000 pages.

good luck with the car
Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Welcome from a new owner also.
you may have already discovered that you can set the vents to always open? Might be preferable for the moment so you don’t continue to see this.

interested in hearing about the rust, where is it?

I also do my own spannering, the last time I let a garage work on one of my cars, it came back with a stripped sump plug thread. Mini, aluminium sump.

I’m Just tooling up for the cam belt, fuel pump belt and serpentine belt change. V6

There’s a link to the dealer manual available, which covered everything over 3000 pages.

good luck with the car
Al
The rust is on the bottom of one rear wing at the junction with the sill behind the door and is just a couple of small areas that may have been stone chips and a bit on the front wing where a mudflap has been attached and harboured mud and salt.
I reattached the BMS lead securely and that solved the charging warning, but shortly after I had an engine management light come on which was rather annoying however I went out in it today and gave it some revs and the light has gone out for the time being.
I now just need to change the rear brake pads and offside rear droplink.
I have switched off the vent rotation and will tackle that job at a latter date.
Paul.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rust is on the bottom of one rear wing at the junction with the sill behind the door and is just a couple of small areas that may have been stone chips and a bit on the front wing where a mudflap has been attached and harboured mud and salt.
I reattached the BMS lead securely and that solved the charging warning, but shortly after I had an engine management light come on which was rather annoying however I went out in it today and gave it some revs and the light has gone out for the time being.
I now just need to change the rear brake pads and offside rear droplink.
I have switched off the vent rotation and will tackle that job at a latter date.
Paul.
You have been busy, thanks for the info. I think I’ll remove mudflaps and engage in some preventative maintenance.
I’ll need brake disks and pads on the rear soon, they were mentioned at the last mot and are pretty well worn.
Al

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Welcome Paul
You should get a decent ODB reader, like the Autel AP200 which will help in diagnosing any DTC warnings that may pop up.
It will also allow you to clear them.

I had a generator charging fault in mine a few weeks back which persisted through a few starts, I cleared the DTC code and it hasn't returned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts