1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads

Need to put new discs and pads on my 2011 x250 3.0D
What would everybody suggest ?
Seen Borg & Beck cross drilled grooved on eBay for £162 without pads. Anyone have experience on this brand. Seems a good price.
I don’t want to spend a fortune on them if pos
Thanks in advance
Cal

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
I've always used Pagid discs and Brembo pads for my XF-S and now XJ. Really can't see the point of drilled and grooved discs except the "street-cred" thing if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
19,497 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
As John said why drilled, I don't like them. I have Borg and beck plated on front and mintex on rear, plated (they look good) Pads according to how you use the thing . When my pads are due I either spin the discs on the lathe or if near minimums replace discs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As John said why drilled, I don't like them. I have Borg and beck plated on front and mintex on rear, plated (they look good) Pads according to how you use the thing . When my pads are due I either spin the discs on the lathe or if near minimums replace discs.
You reckon Borg & Beck are a decent disc ?

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
I wish I had a lathe to be able to skim discs. I change mine when the lip starts looking unsightly but I know they're always well in tolerance.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yep I find them fine, but I don't go on race tracks and don't do 150 mph on the motorway.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wish I had a lathe to be able to skim discs. I change mine when the lip starts looking unsightly but I know they're always well in tolerance.
Yep John, when I change pads, I always re skim the discs, so I start from a good surface. I have found over the years pads rarely wear parallel to the disc. If in doubt change the lot. If you do it yourself it is still cheaper than the steelers, and you know it is done correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep I find them fine, but I don't go on race tracks and don't do 150 mph on the motorway.
Perfect, same here. Rarely drive too fast and definitely no race track driving. Too old for that 😅

·
Apostrophe Monitor
7,353 Posts
I currently have
MTEC discs fitted with Brembo pads
previously I have used
Mintex pads
EBC Red & Yellow pads
with MTEC discs

No idea how the Brembo pads compare to the others as since they have been fitted the vehicle has only covered just over 200 miles.

Reactions: CK76

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I always fit EBC Redstuff pads, work well and produce so little dust. I've not found any issue with any particular make of discs, I've been using Comline on all my cars for the last few years and have also fitted some to friends cars when they've persuaded me to service them. They are now coated in a silver colour so don't rust on the unswept areas too.

Reactions: CK76

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always fit EBC Redstuff pads, work well and produce so little dust. I've not found any issue with any particular make of discs, I've been using Comline on all my cars for the last few years and have also fitted some to friends cars when they've persuaded me to service them. They are now coated in a silver colour so don't rust on the unswept areas too.
Cheers for that. Must have a look at comline.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My personal feelings are that the big brands, as they're more well known or heard of, just hike their prices. I've had zero issues with Comline discs (or their other products), no warping or run out. The XFS does occasionally suffer brake judder but having checked the discs for run out, warpage and contamination I could not fault them and blame the caliper design. As the judder isn't always there it's not likely going to be a warped disc. There's a whole thread (likely multiple threads) on XF brake judder. I'd also say never, ever fit drilled discs. I've removed several now that showed signs of multiple cracks emanating from the drilled holes, a Google search will show some that failed in service. I had a disc fail on a race car, didn't end at all well.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I get high speed brake judder on my XJ, which has EBC discs (guaranteed zero run-out) and EBC red stuff pads.

I’m getting what I think is the offending caliper checked over, and a fluid change, to see if that resolves it.

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
My personal feelings are that the big brands, as they're more well known or heard of, just hike their prices. I've had zero issues with Comline discs (or their other products), no warping or run out. The XFS does occasionally suffer brake judder but having checked the discs for run out, warpage and contamination I could not fault them and blame the caliper design. As the judder isn't always there it's not likely going to be a warped disc. There's a whole thread (likely multiple threads) on XF brake judder. I'd also say never, ever fit drilled discs. I've removed several now that showed signs of multiple cracks emanating from the drilled holes, a Google search will show some that failed in service. I had a disc fail on a race car, didn't end at all well.
I have developed and live by the philosophy that you get what what you pay for. If something is cheap, it's cheap for a reason.

·
Administrator
28,551 Posts
Mineral water vs tap?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have developed and live by the philosophy that you get what what you pay for. If something is cheap, it's cheap for a reason.
That was true years ago but nowadays the expensive things are often made in the same place as cheep ones to the same spec. Companies often do great products but then the accountants take over and get the bits made in china.
I am often surprised at how few companies actually make Switched mode PSU's which are used in almost all electronic equipment and they all fail, just an amount of time.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't buy the discs because they're cheap, I buy them because I don't like paying considerably more for something of comparable quality. If I thought that £200 discs were measurably better, I'd buy them, I can afford them, price for such an essential item isn't my consideration. I've had zero issues with Comline discs so am happy to fit them to my cars and friends cars. If I were scrimping on the price for parts I wouldn't be fitting Redstuff pads, they're expensive!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was reading some article about comline they are a good company who care about quality. I buy their filters no problem at all. I would buy their products without question.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts