Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
The Defender isn't as utilitarian as you might think, they can be quite plush inside
Oh course they can, but when you think luxurious, Defender doesn't sit high in the list. F-Pace is more Discovery/RR IMO.

So the factory workers know which go on which end šŸ˜ƒ
What if they are colour blind? Oh, never mind, I know they are as I remember my Frost Blue XF that came in two fetching different shades.

Defender is now a lifestyle vehicle, not utility.

Personally I am really unsure if that is good or bad. If they were more reliable, and I had the moolah, I would probably have one to go with my country estate.

Oh course they can, but when you think luxurious, Defender doesn't sit high in the list. F-Pace is more Discovery/RR IMO.
I really like it, My boss has a new 110, sure he ticked all the options, but its really nice inside,

Think Iā€™d have the F pace SVR personally. Cheaper, more powerful and better looking arguably.

However the new defender has some serious road presence, not sure how it looks so much bigger on the road than it does in the pictures?

Also the face lifted F pace SVR now has launch control (first JLR to have it?) which gives it much better stats than it previously had.
Not quite, my 2014 F-Type has it.
I believe all F-Type V6S had/have it, not so sure about the P380 though (same as the S just a different name).
And it is/was only ever on the V6S, not on the Base or the V8S or the R or the SVR.

There's no way I could afford Ā£100k for one of these...

However, if they depreciate nicely I'd buy one in a few years. Something with a 5.0 V8 that's a bit "Not Normal" that can tow 3.5 tons would be ideal for me :)

Reactions: PeteA and ChrisSB
There's no way I could afford Ā£100k for one of these...

However, if they depreciate nicely I'd buy one in a few years. Something with a 5.0 V8 that's a bit "Not Normal" that can tow 3.5 tons would be ideal for me :)
I would imagine that depreciation will be negligible in the first few years, possibly even changing hands for higher than list for a while

Not quite, my 2014 F-Type has it.
I believe all F-Type V6S had/have it, not so sure about the P380 though (same as the S just a different name).
And it is/was only ever on the V6S, not on the Base or the V8S or the R or the SVR.
How strange. Why would they not put it across the range?

Even the P8 doesnā€™t have it from what I know.

How strange. Why would they not put it across the range?

Even the P8 doesnā€™t have it from what I know.
The rationale for having it on the F-Type V6S only and no other F-Type is:
1. It's one of the extras you get on the S over the base (the others are extra neddies 380 vs 340, mechanical LSD, bigger front brakes 380 mm vs 355 mm and active suspension).
2. The V8 has just too much torque for the gearbox, drive shafts etc to safely handle launch control.

The rationale for having it on the F-Type V6S only and no other F-Type is:
1. It's one of the extras you get on the S over the base (the others are extra neddies 380 vs 340, mechanical LSD, bigger front brakes 380 mm vs 355 mm and active suspension).
2. The V8 has just too much torque for the gearbox, drive shafts etc to safely handle launch control.
On point 2, I assume the facelifted F pace SVR is using a higher torque variant of the ZF?

The older cars use the 8HP70 from my understanding.

On point 2, I assume the facelifted F pace SVR is using a higher torque variant of the ZF?

The older cars use the 8HP70 from my understanding.
Dunno, but the F-Type SVR (now dead) and the latest F-Type R (same 575 neddies as the old SVR) still had/have the 8HP70 so it's odds on the F-Pace SVR also does.
It might have the 8HP90 which is rated for 900 Nm of torques but I have never seen confirmation of this 'box being used in any Jag.
Thing is the 8HP70 is rated for 700 Nm which is just over the max torque of the 575 HP AJ133SC, but that max torque is never delivered in the lower gears let alone on take off as the TCM tells the PCM to dial things down a bit.

Dunno, but the F-Type SVR (now dead) and the latest F-Type R (same 575 neddies as the old SVR) still had/have the 8HP70 so it's odds on the F-Pace SVR also does.
It might have the 8HP90 which is rated for 900 Nm of torques but I have never seen confirmation of this 'box being used in any Jag.
Thing is the 8HP70 is rated for 700 Nm which is just over the max torque of the 575 HP AJ133SC, but that max torque is never delivered in the lower gears let alone on take off as the TCM tells the PCM to dial things down a bit.
JLR could opt for the ZF GA8HP75Z which is rated for 1000Nm and fully capable of AWD, launch control would be no problem, I guess the decision is down to cost

JLR could opt for the ZF GA8HP75Z which is rated for 1000Nm and fully capable of AWD, launch control would be no problem, I guess the decision is down to cost
I assume thatā€™s in your new car thatā€™s now 2 days away?

Yeah the price difference is odd. Not sure why the Defender is more than a "luxurious" SUV like the F-Pace. But then again, the F-Pace won't have the off-road capabilities of the Defender. I think I'd go for the Defender with some extra tuning.

I quite like the look of the Urban ones. Urban Defender 2020 | Urban Automotive Ltd | Prestige Modification & Customisation
It must have been quite an engineering feat, & expensive, to achieve on road manners & at the same time exceeding the off road capabilities of the original Defender. I would have thought that it's natural competitor would have been the RRS SVR?

Not sure about the Urban Mods... they look like Chelsea tinsel to me.

It's going to be a long 1200 miles.
Iā€™ve just been looking up the postcode for Sainsburyā€™s in Inverness IV2 3PX, should be getting low on milk by Monday šŸ˜

Reactions: Gav and Sdotk
Iā€™ve also just noticed, have they changed the spec of the meridian surround system? Itā€™s gone down from 825W to 650W.

Iā€™ve just checked on the jag site and built a new F pace SVR with the same wattage. Standard meridian system is showing as 400W

Iā€™ve just been looking up the postcode for Sainsburyā€™s in Inverness IV2 3PX, should be getting low on milk by Monday šŸ˜
Cornish butter is very palatable?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.