Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Just introducing myself as i'm planning to collect an XFR on Wednesday next week.

Very excited, never had an XFR before. Ive owned performance cars (E46 M3) but nothing with 500bhp.

The car im planning to buy has a great history, summary below:

26,000 miles
Serviced every 4,000 miles with only two owners from new, the most recent had it for five years and took it for service every year to the main Jag dealer I am buying it from so they know it really well
Ultimate black metallic with black interior
Supercharger belt replaced 2019
Getting 2 years approved used jaguar warranty with the deal

Will get some pics up once I have her home. (y)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Congrats on the new car, sounds great and we'll looked after. Looking forward to seeing the photos

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for warm welcome guys. Will be sure to put pics up.

Quick question - are these easy enough cars to drive safely? My mrs currently drives a 1.4 corsa and ive read the XFRs are quite tail happy. She is quite nervous about the thought of driving this jag. Is there anything to be concerned about or wary of?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Just show SWMBO the snow/ice toggle switch and how to use it then she should be perfectly OK.
Disclaimer - I have never used that switch on any of my three Jags!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Going from a 1.4l corsa to a XFR is a big jump.... Just take it easy until she's comfortable with the car, and the increase size of the car when compared to a small corsa.

It will be a wonderful car to drive once you and her know what it's capable of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just show SWMBO the snow/ice toggle switch and how to use it then she should be perfectly OK.
Disclaimer - I have never used that switch on any of my three Jags!
Ok, do you mean her putting it in the snow /ice mode even on normal dry days til she gets used to the car? Im guessing this is an extreme traction control setting

Going from a 1.4l corsa to a XFR is a big jump.... Just take it easy until she's comfortable with the car, and the increase size of the car when compared to a small corsa.

It will be a wonderful car to drive once you and her know what it's capable of.
Ok makes sense. I've never driven one either, not even test driven this one I've reserved so itll be a new experience for me too.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a good one and your very lucky to get two years Jaguar extended warranty these days.. (y)

It will feel like it's the size of a bus to your Mrs. Probably intimidating when trying to park it.

1/2 a ton of aggregate in the boot should help the tail happiness.... ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a good one and your very lucky to get two years Jaguar extended warranty these days.. (y)

It will feel like it's the size of a bus to your Mrs. Probably intimidating when trying to park it.

1/2 a ton of aggregate in the boot should help the tail happiness.... ;)
I can only think the dealerships are trying to get every sale possible to catch up on lost revenue hence being very accommodating with warranties etc. I feel lucky to have found this one with the low mileage and also from what im told a like minded previous owner who keeps on top of maintenance, garaged it etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Following on from you PM, looking forward to seeing the red lettering.
Ill put the pic in here and pm you one. im also considering going with silver coloured supercharger letters instead of red. not sure which would look best on the black?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
When I had an XFR I never really found it to be agressive, unless you provoke it in the wet.

In comparison to an E63 AMG I had (The later 5.5 twin turbo), with only 50 more HP, the XFR was tame!

I think it's because supercharged engines are easier to modulate the power.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
You’ll love the XFR but be very gentle on the throttle to start with. It’s a car you need to drive rather than one you can never get enough power! Her biggest issue will be watching her speed as at 100mph it’s the same sound inside as 70mph. Tyres make a big difference and many of those on here use Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as they give exceptional grip But are not cheap at over £750 a set. Well worth it though ;)
the torque curve is very flat from around 1500 rpm to around 6000rpm which gives a 50-70mph time of just 1.9s. This makes them a joy on country roads!
most of all enjoy!

·
Administrator
27,487 Posts
Sorry, but coming from FWD 1.4 Corsa to a 500BHP RWD fast Jag is going to need a major change in driving approach. The handling of a powerful RWD car is totally different to a small hatch, and an inadvertent prod of the throttle exiting a wet corner can lead to tears. I would advise contacting your local IoAM and asking if they have any appropriate courses. Or maybe even skidpan training. The XFR can of course be totally safe to drive - if you thoroughly understand what it is you are driving.

I would far rather give this, no doubt unwelcome, advice than read about an accident later on..............I am assuming your good lady has no prior experience of big BHP RWD cars?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
...The handling of a powerful RWD car is totally different to a small hatch, and an inadvertent prod of the throttle exiting a wet corner can lead to tears...
Didn't this exact thing happen to one of our members not that long ago?..

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
Being the pedant that I am, it's the torque coming out of that wet corner that will catch out the inexperienced.
But I agree that some tuition wouldn't go amiss in this case.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Didn't this exact thing happen to one of our members not that long ago?..
Yes Pete, I believe one member let his wife drive the car and within a minute had seriously kerbed it causing a lot of damage to the rear near side wheel and bearing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Welcome to the forum and V8 club. I used to have a Ultimate Black MY11 XFR and it was lovely. They are very drivable and not difficult to drive, but the power is unrelenting and can catch you out. Winter mode reduces the throttle response, so you need more throttle movement to get going. Will help you both to get used to it. Also, leave Dynamic and Sport modes until you are more used to it.

I have been driving XFRs daily for over 8 years and love them to bits. Great combination of practicality and performance. As stated, tyres play a big part so we recommend Michelin Pilot 4S tyres. They make the tail more controllable, especially in the wet.

Here is my old car, please post photos of yours when you get her.

·
Super Moderator
19,872 Posts
Ill put the pic in here and pm you one. im also considering going with silver coloured supercharger letters instead of red. not sure which would look best on the black?
The red on black looks fantastic but going with silver is easily changed if you end up going red.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Here is carbon and silver, as a guide. If you go red, I suggest adding the newer red wheel caps and front growler to match.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Get yourself a wooden block made up to put under the throttle pedal. If the rear tyres say Dunlop, then install said wooden block and drive to the nearest tyre dealer that sells Michelin PS4S.

if it says Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on them, throw the wooden block away and enjoy the drive home!

You may laugh. It may save your new pride and joy! 😂

1 - 20 of 37 Posts