Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so the original rotary gear selector is a cast brass item that is full chrome plated , and is quite heavy , it also has a plastic inserts for some reason i cant figure out, and then the original , some say bland top blank alloy disc which scratches up really easily

originally i replaced this top disc with an aftermarket ' black and chrome metal growler with JAGUAR script , and was happy with it

Jaguar, as always , offer an upgraded styled rotary selector in a billet turned and polished alloy with rubber grips and leather topper , total cost is around £150 from Jaguar, ok if your well off i suppose

me being a normal person ( though some would fiercely debate that ) i found a brand new one at around a quarter of the price from Jaguar, but had to wait for it to arrive from Russia , lol

so yesterday after doing some CCF work i decided to fit it after looking at it for two weeks,

the aftermarket topper came off easily , however the factory disc didn't come out so easily , even the genuine Jaguar instructions tell you to hit a screwdriver under it with a hammer !! , i manage to pry it out with a craft knife blade, suitably protected , but it is very tricky to get out, then remove the centre torx screw and lift out the selector, installing the new one is a pop

real leather topper , hmm will take getting used to compared to the other one ,

right, were is that optional exhaust pipe finisher i spotted...

BB

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,535 Posts
I debated the same upgrade, but where mine is the classic the leather won't match the black buttons of the facelift.

I would like to replace the topper as mine is scratched (obviously), I don't like the resin toppers with any design in them to be honest either.

I think it is a nice upgrade for the facelift cars though!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was looking at them last night lol, I like the idea of a leather topped selector.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Nicely done yet again BB, the great thing about the leather topper is it looks more befitting of the vehicle.. and doesn't reflect blinding sunlight!!.. (y)

And the rubberised rotary is in a different class also, I personally think the standard one looks like it's chromed plastic from a '70's Revel model kit.. I really don't like that standard knurling..

But to be honest, I very much doubt many would tolerate mine in their car:

:D

Reactions: brake-buster

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
BB, can you let me know where you got the gear knob and top from if they are still available lol.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i almost , very nearly , almost , bought the red one,

but noting else in my car would compliment it , though i do really really like it, and at the end of the day , the low cost of the one i got tipped the ballance

and i do agree, the leather topper does compliment the already high interior qualities

BB

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
i almost , very nearly , almost , bought the red one,

but noting else in my car would compliment it , though i do really really like it...
Oddly enough BB, and I realise this may sound stupid, but it doesn't stand out in real life anywhere near as much as you'd think.. well, it kinda does.. but not in the 'smack you in the face' way that you'd probably think:

As it's the solitary item of red.. the 'occasion' of it rising from it's 'red ring' and 'blooming' into it's fully operational state appeals to the 'Thunderbirds' little boy in me... :D

Fully grown up adults may well, and probably would and should, differ in this opinion... :cool:

Reactions: brake-buster

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Like others, I kept the rotary and changed the topper. Genuine LR version (cheaper than the same jag labelled part) was under £20.

In fact I’m pretty sure it was Pete who actually convinced me to do it!

·
Super Moderator
28,976 Posts
I've just got the Jaguar leather topped on mine. Much nicer than a logo'd topper.

·
19,578 Posts
I'm now wondering how a red gear selector with red metal gear paddles will look?

Maybe a red starter button too?

Oh - I know, Statler's car is red, I think he should go for it first ;)

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I'm now wondering how a red gear selector with red metal gear paddles will look?
It'd be 'on a theme' what with them all being gearbox related.. or.. like a tart's boudoir, which 'could' be even better.... :D

Reactions: Kennyd90 and Rigger

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Nice mod but not quite for me. I for one think the original selector is perfect and looks best with the original metal topper. Mainly because I want as few black bits and as little rubber as possible in my car interior. Oddly enough I never experienced any sun reflections on the gear topper in any XF.

That red gear selector actually makes some sense. As you say, not as much in your face as one might expect and would go nicely together with red paddles.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you just had to tempt me,,,,didn't you , lol

BB:whistle:

Reactions: OBC John and PeteA

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Nice one Centurion!!.. :cool:

Pleased with it?

It isn't as 'in your face' as you'd think is it?..

(y)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts