Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is there some magical trick to pull the drive shaft out of the rear axle? Am I missing something here as I've been tugging and levering at this shaft all afternoon and it refuses to budge. Got everything undone but I'm stuck on the drive shaft issue. Any tips welcomed!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
With the chance that nobody is viewing this post! I'm going to report the progress on the wheel bearing problem on my XF.
Had some trouble withdrawing the drive shaft yesterday but I spent the evening making a forked leaver type of thing and today, it came out. (Bit of welding)
Now the other day a guy local to me was off-loading the very part I need for practically no money at all. £20 for a complete hub assembly and shaft, plus the shocker and spring assembly, including the brake caliper. When I collected it he then gave me a front shocker and spring. This all came with the suspension arms and the bolts, so, great. I thought.

Now I have my hub assembly out on the floor it isn't the same as the drive shaft he gave me. In particular the end that enters the diff (CV joint) Mine is fatter and a slightly longer length. Other than that, its all the same as mine. Mine doesn't have an "E" diff either so all I can get from it is that the stuff he gave me was for a 2.7 which was maybe slightly smaller.
That very large puller I posted a couple of days ago didn't get even near to pulling the wheel hub from the main hub or pushing the shaft out so I'll need to take my shaft assembly to someone with a press to push a new bearing into it.

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
We are viewing Steve.. and interested.. good luck and please keep us up to date.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just as a point of interest. As the almost free shaft came along, it was that shaft that I had a go at removing the wheel flange from. As it didn't budge a mm I'm not going to have a go at my own shaft. If the local garage doesn't want to do it I'll probably take it to the main stealer. Don't really want to though!

·
Registered
24,813 Posts
Have you tried a judicious application of heat? Expand the bugger off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I would do that John but I don't have gas welding gear these days, just mig, I do have a gas blow lamp but I don't think it would get it warm enough especaly as the puller is so big it would take all the heat. Plus it started to rain so I called it a day.
What got me thinking this morning was that my shaft has a shroud that stops water and dust from entering the diff. The other one didn't. I tapped it off and put it to the other shaft to find that there isn't a shoulder to fit it to. It was then I started to measure it. Obviously, the 2.7 isn't the same as the 3.0 so beware!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You seem to be doing all the right things in the right order Steve. Best of luck with it, I don't think anyone could help you more. But as john says heat is often the way forward. We will keep watching and hope for a good outcome. As per my earlier post, the bearings are a pain to figure if good or bad but you had a great idea well done.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well today I have had a bit of positive progress. This may be a long one!
I've had a complete 3.0d hub/driveshaft assembly delivered and I've swapped it out and its now really nice and quiet inside my XF! £130 but well worth it if you don't have a press and you need your car!
All went pretty well with the exception of the top ball-joint nut. There is an 8mm hex on the end of the joint shaft to stop the joint from turning but really, it needs to be a bit longer as it gets covered by the unscrewing of the nut. Got the Dremmel out and cut the nut being careful not to damage the threads on the joint. Also changed all the rubber boots on the joints as they all had splits in them. Torque up the bolts with the weight of the car on the road.
After doing all that I moved onto the shaft assembly I just removed, with the idea of having another go at removing the wheel flange from that shaft.
After having a couple of days to think about this I came to the conclusion that I've been using the wrong size spacer on the end of the screw of the puller. This puller has an impact shaft that goes down the center of the screw shaft and it has a pointed end that fits snugly into the end of the driveshaft, so the packing on the end needs to have the correct size hole in it to let the impact shaft through to contact the driveshaft. You screw up the main shaft tight, then clout the impact shaft.
I have quite a few tools here and one of them is a three-quarters socket set, so with the "T" bar and the correct socket, plus two long steel poles, one to extend the "T" bar and the other to stop the puller from rotating, and the driveshaft came out. At first it really didn't want to move but it did come out..... slowly! The splines were full of road grime.

Of course, the wheel flange is still part of the hub so I'll need to find someone with a good press to get it apart and fit a new bearing. So, obviously, I did this off the car but its worth bearing in mind that if you do this ON the car, you risk pushing the driveshaft into the diff housing.
Just a bit of info for those who want it. The length of the 2.7d shaft taken from the seal step to the end of the shaft at the diff end is 100mm and the diameter is 32mm. The 3.0d measurements are 85mm and has a diameter of 35mm. All approximate of course but worth a mention!
Moving onto the front banana links next with the Powerflex bushes, then a four wheel track I think.
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Today I took my hub assembly to the service garage that performs my MOTs and they pushed the bearing out of the hub using a Sealy 30 ton press. First to come out was the wheel flange. That came out without much effort but the bearing didn't want to move so he increased the pressure to 15 tons and covered the hub with a thick welding apron as sometimes a bit of shrapnel fly's about. Just pulled the leaver till it was at 15 tons and we walked away, then a few seconds after, it popped! After that it gradually came out cracking every time the pump handle was pulled. No heat was needed. The press did it all.
I was looking at buying a 12 ton press but after seeing that I'm glad I didn't. £30 ton versions are quite a lot of money and I probably wouldn't get much use of it anyway.
I spent the afternoon cleaning out the splines on the driveshaft and wheel flange. The inner part of the bearing was still on the flange so I cut a deep groove in it to get it off. The flange now slides on and off easily so putting it all back together will be a much better operation. Cleaned the main hub as well as it was a bit grimy in the cerclip groove
I've ordered a new bearing kit and I'm thinking that I may as well put it back on the car and sell the one I bought off ebay. After all, I may as well have the new one as opposed to an older one!
Bicycle part Rim Gas Nickel Nut

21 - 29 of 29 Posts