Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new tyres, as I am new to owning a Jag Sportbrake S what should I go for.
255/35r20 have quite a selection of summer tyres but how do these handle our wonderful winters. Looked for all season but none in this size.
Do not want winter tyres as I think the rear torque will kill them as soon as it warms up in spring.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
27,214 Posts
I ran two sets of wheels on my old car. One for summer and one for winter. Nokian tyres in the winter.

On my R-S I haven't bothered. Running MPS4S all year round.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do the MPS4S wear. Are they ok through the winter? Was looking at these but also the Conti CS6.
Currently the car has Conti CS5P which I think was the original fit but they seem to be wearing.
Going to have four wheel alignment done as well just to tick the box

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I got maybe just north of 20,000 miles on the rear of my 3.0D 'S' Matt, which is always carrying a fair ol' weight in the back and I don't drive for economy.

No problems in the winter for me but as I said mine is stuck to the road more due to the weight.

Do get the four wheel alignment done, it can make a big difference.. make sure they do the back first.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
How do the MPS4S wear. Are they ok through the winter? Was looking at these but also the Conti CS6.
Currently the car has Conti CS5P which I think was the original fit but they seem to be wearing.
I got 22k out of my last rears in 18 months. Fronts did 35k and just over half-worn before a knackered control-arm bush scrapped one. Can't grumble at that!

·
Super Moderator
27,214 Posts
I've had no issues with wear, they wore much better than the Pirelli's they replaced. They obviously aren't as good in the winter but for salted roads, I've had no issues.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I got 24k from my first set of rears. In contrast Pirelli fronts gave me 17k only. 4S all round now and can’t recommend them enough. Good grip in the wet even when cold

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thank you all for the quick replies, see a pattern here, the MPS4S seems very popular. Any other contenders? I have been quoted £180 each fitted, is that about right? Also been quoted £72 for the wheel alignment on a Hunter system, thanks PeteA for the info about getting the rear aligned first.

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
Never had a Sportbrake. But the Continentals on my XJ are quiet and grippy, even in the wet.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Wow thank you all for the quick replies, see a pattern here, the MPS4S seems very popular. Any other contenders? I have been quoted £180 each fitted, is that about right? Also been quoted £72 for the wheel alignment on a Hunter system, thanks PeteA for the info about getting the rear aligned first.
Sounds like a fair price to me Matt.. (y)

Reactions: Matt(SB)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Eagle 3 J spec for quiet or Eagle 5 for slightly better wet grip in my opinion.

Good rim protection as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I posed the question for an X250 Sportbrake the majority was for the MPs$s tyres.

Camskill.co.uk are offering £50 instant cashback on Michelin tyres.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I posed the question for an X250 Sportbrake the majority was for the MPs$s tyres.

Camskill.co.uk are offering £50 instant cashback on Michelin tyres.
Thanks for the pointer, good price but the MPS4S are not included in the promotion........☹

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've just replaced the rear conti's which didn't last that long with
Dunlop sp sport maxx J 255/35x20
the dsc seems to restrict all the fun :confused: which I want to have

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've just replaced the rear conti's which didn't last that long with
Dunlop sp sport maxx J 255/35x20
the dsc seems to restrict all the fun :confused: which I want to have
Now I have not been brave enough yet to turn it off and boot it........but it looks a only a matter of time

1 - 20 of 46 Posts