Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So I am very soon to be receiving a ‘64 plate Jaguar XF S. Dealers at the moment tend to be doing this weird thing where they bring the car to you, so long as you live in a certain radius for you to look at and test drive whilst they look over yours - so I opted for that. It’s not coming from a Jag dealer, a cute little independent one. It does have 2 owners, the first looking like it was a Jag ‘management’ car and the second having owned it until recently trading it in for a RR. Full service history from Jaguar main dealers.

I currently have a 2011 BMW 525d which I’ve been super happy with but its now done 151k miles and I’m missing having a 3 litre engine :D so I thought this was a good opportunity to shop around.

Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for, any common faults or areas to check? I have heard that the CJB under the drivers feet should be checked for corrosion, that sounds super fiddly. Also, is there any way to see what work has been carried out at Jaguar workshops in the past?

I really hope moving from BMW to Jag is a good idea because I think they look super funky!

Thanks everyone,

Dannielle

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Hello & welcome

Check all electrics, check all windows & door latches open/close/lock as they should. If it is coming from a Jaguar independent they should be able to provide history from online service records if available. The CJB is a known issue caused by water wicking from the washer pump, ask the person delivering to remove the relevant connector (top left) and take a look yourself (may wish to take a photo on your phone as you do have to bend awkwardly to see it clearly). Otherwise just usual checks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello & welcome

Check all electrics, check all windows & door latches open/close/lock as they should. If it is coming from a Jaguar independent they should be able to provide history from online service records if available. The CJB is a known issue caused by water wicking from the washer pump, ask the person delivering to remove the relevant connector (top left) and take a look yourself (may wish to take a photo on your phone as you do have to bend awkwardly to see it clearly). Otherwise just usual checks.
Okay, lovely thank you.

Is it ok to unplug that connector as it is with just the engine off and then plug it back in without it throwing up error codes?

Dannii

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
yes, shouldn't be any issue, get them to do it.

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
Hi Dannii. Welcome to the forum.
Good advice re the electrics to which I would add to lock the car both using the key fob and also by using the button on any of the door handles (assuming it has the keyless entry function). Then each time, go round and pull each door handle. This checks for a failing door lock mechanism.
During the test drive and when it's safe to do so, floor the accelerator! This will check if there's any leaks in the induction pipework or splits in the intercooler. It may throw up a "Restricted Performance" warning on the dash.
And finally (from me), check there's no judder or vibration when braking.
I hope all goes well!

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Welcome Dannii

You're a BMW owner so probably aware of their reputation for bootlid wiring issues. The XF is also affected, so make sure you check the bootlid locks and unlocks, that the number plate and fog lamps work and that the reversing camera shows a clear picture with the guide lines.

Also check that all the LED's in the headlamp DRLs, the J blade as it's known, are illuminated. When you unlock the car they should go very bright then dim back, this is normal.
Check the headlamps as well, there is a button on the fob that will allow you to turn them on, a second push of the same button will also turn on the reverse lamps. It's a cool way of lighting up your drive on a dark evening.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dannii. Congratulations on your new XFS, wonderful cars with lots of oomph. Hope all goes well with your delivery.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Delivery is tomorrow (or today now, technically) so I will check all the things suggested and let you know how it goes.

Fingers crossed it’s a good one, lol.

Dannii

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Enjoy 'today'....... pictures if it's a keeper

Sent from BLUE heaven using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, thank you ALL for your advice. Thanks to you guys I checked things that I wouldn’t normally.

The CJB showed no signs of rust or water damage, infact the pins in the plug were shining. It’s still worth getting that pump replaced however isn’t it?

The drivers rear door has locking problems, one minute it opens when it’s supposed to be locked, the next it won’t open when it’s supposed to be open - they’re going to sort it. Air con was also not very cold so they’re going to recharge that too. A minor thing, but I felt it needed a wheel alignment so they’re also going to do that.

Definitely a nice car, the driving position will take some getting used to coming from a 5 series where I find you sit low low down. So overall, yes it’s a keeper.

Two things I have noticed though, are the rear lights set up to come on with the front DRLs, because they are on even when I switch the lights to OFF. I know BMW set this up, but I could change it to front only. The other being how “cool” are the front seats supposed to get? Today is an extremely hot day and I could hear them working but they didn’t do anything that I could notice today.. but coming from a car without them I’m unsure what to expect.

Thanks again all,

Dannii

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hi Danii, the rear lights should not come on a facelift XF unless you turn the lights on..

Aircon shouldn't be a problem on a 64 plate car I'd have thought. Too young unless it has a problem.. a simple re-gassing is only hiding the problem IMHO.

As for the cooled seats, you should definitely notice something in both parts of the seat after less than 2/3 minutes...

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
Glad it went well. And that you managed to identify one or two things that needed attention.
As for the cooled seats, they definitely should get cold but can take a while, especially if the cabin is or has been hot. How long were you driving it for?

·
Super Moderator
11,330 Posts
When the air con is working right the cooled seats should be too.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
On a facelift the seat cooling is separate to the air con Geoff..

Reactions: googsy1

·
Super Moderator
11,330 Posts

·
18,475 Posts
Looks lovely Danni,

hope the problems are all sorted for you pronto. Wheel alignment is a good call.

As for cooled seat - I had them on my classic - you should definitley feel the difference after a few minutes.
Might be that the ducting has cracked in them - so the cooled air flow is being diverted else where.
There is threads on here about the cracked ducting, and it affecting the cooling of the seats.

·
Founder member
5,074 Posts
Looks ex management car so should have lots of toys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Danii, the rear lights should not come on a facelift XF unless you turn the lights on..

Aircon shouldn't be a problem on a 64 plate car I'd have thought. Too young unless it has a problem.. a simple re-gassing is only hiding the problem IMHO.

As for the cooled seats, you should definitely notice something in both parts of the seat after less than 2/3 minutes...
Oh really, is there anything I can check for the air con system?

The seats were exceptionally hot due to the weather, but I’ll go try them again in a mo.

Dannii

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I’d just get them to check for any leaks in the aircon rather than just recharge it.
the cooled seats should definitely be felt after a few minutes. Mine stuck on once and my son was uncomfortably cold on a long journey lol.
if I remember correctly the later facelifts had the rear lights on with the drls but not certain of that.
The xf is prone to issues of alignment and it needs the hunter laser 4 wheel alignment (or equivalent) carried out. It makes a big difference to the handling!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts