Jaguar Forum banner
121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Shame - that fluid tells the story, sadly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
It does indeed... First quote for the gearbox so far is £2200 + VAT.

David.

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Value of the vehicle with/without the repair?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
With the repairs done, probably around 7k. Without the repairs done, 3-4k maybe, MAYBE.

I'm about 4k into it just now and it's been driving well and doesn't really need anything else doing. If I got rid and bought another I could be back to square 1 again I guess...

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Better the devil you know then.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
29,735 Posts
Yeah I’d sling a box on it and keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
How much oil did you put in when serviced the box? When you fill the fluid in, engine should be running at idle otherwise you cannot put enough fluid in.

SDD will show the log of the number times that transmission oil experienced overheat. I guess the debris you have on the finger in that photo is from magnets and not the pan? That’s not bad tbh. But the only reason oil colour can change like that is overheat. any chance coolant found the way into the box from heat exchanger?

Transmission repair doesn’t need a lift. I just loosened the back mount ,using an extension reached all bolts and removed the box. It weights about 90kg and took 1-2 hours. It was a 8speed on an XF but I guess will be similar.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
After removing the valve block and refitting, it took around 7-8 litres of fluid. The car was cycled through the gears as the fluid was being filled. The plug was then put back in, the transmission oil temperature was measured using diagnostics and the level was set with the engine running and the oil temperature at 40 degrees.

I'm still debating what to do with it, I kinda fancy using it as an excuse to get a Range Rover Sport SVR to replace it and my XFR but the wife isn't having any of it just now.

David.

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Until you can get the use of your lift back, you can't do much anwyay.................

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I’ll be clearing the lift with the JCB at the weekend. :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Replacement gearbox purchased.

Managed to get one for £650 with 98k on it and a 3 month warranty.

Apparently it should be here on Monday so we'll wait and see!

Once fitted I think I'll use the Range Rover above everything else and get as many miles on it as possible!

David.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
And less then 12hrs after ordering it, it's been dispatched. Hats off to Gentlemen of Salvage in Devon for their service so far! Just hope the gearbox works now!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
20 litres of Lifeguard 6 ordered.

I'm going to order the o-rings for the oil cooler pipes, Land Rover recommend a special grease for the shaft between the gearbox and transfer case so I'll order a syringe of that, and I'm wondering about doing the rear main seal whilst the gearbox is removed too. I want this done quickly and out of the workshop so I'm trying to order as much as I can before I start to strip it.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
While you have the box off, it'd be daft not to change the rear main seal, for the extra few quid, I definitely would.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I ordered a genuine one earlier. :)

All the bits should be here this week whilst we’re away for a few days so it can get done when we get back.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
The 6 speeds are as well, however, I’ve got the ability to recode it thankfully.

David.

Reactions: MyIRRCat

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Replacement gearbox arrived this morning. Unfortunately, Cheryl and I are away this week so we’ll need to wait until next week at the earliest to get it fitted.

David.

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Looking forward to the next set of pictures. And, of course, your report that it works just fine. :)

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,592 Posts
Me too enjoy your break David and good luck with the new box.
will be interesting to find out what actually happened to the bullet proof ZF gb.

121 - 140 of 181 Posts