Jaguar Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I had another look at the RR again this afternoon.

I removed the LPG reducers to replace them and noticed that mounted directly beneath it was the heater valve which was stuck on full heat on the drivers side so I got the heater valve I’d order from the shelf and fitted that, then replaced both of the LPG reducers.

I managed to drop the bleed screw from the top of the Supercharger coolant pump which took me 30 minutes to find which wound me up, however, once it was bled through and warmed up, I switched it back to LPG.

The car switched perfectly and idled beautifully. I used some soapy water around all of the connections on the reducers and checked the vacuum lines and am pleased to report there were no leaks.

The car now starts perfectly after running on LPG with no prolonged periods of cranking like it did previously when the reducer was leaking LPG into the vacuum lines.

I noticed on the 4th or 5th time I started it I got an EML appear again with the code “P0088-00 Fuel rail/system pressure too high”.

I think this install is using emulators for fuel pressure rather then a fuel return so I’m going to have a look at that and the possibility of adding a fuel return back to the tank.

Whilst taking it for a run, I got onto the slip road coming onto the dual carriageway and with my foot flat to the floor through 2nd, 3rd and well into higher revs in 4th gear it ran perfectly on LPG, didn’t click back to petrol and didn’t give any EML lights either so I’m more then happy with how it’s running on gas now.

David.

·
Administrator
27,415 Posts
What consumption do you get from LPG?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Consumption on LPG is slightly worse then petrol. LPG has a lower calorific value then petrol so you need to use a bit more of it.

Petrol is 120+ a litre now whereas LPG is 52p a litre so although the consumption is up slightly, the cost of running is halved.

I reckon that cost wise I’m at 28mpg locally. On a run I can get 23mpg on petrol so 40+ cost wise on LPG.

I’d never bother to convert a car to LPG as I just don’t do the miles to justify it but the last couple of P38’s I’ve bought and this SUpercharged have had it already fitted.

I don’t mind spending a few quid to service it and fill up at 52p a litre though :D

David.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I recall reading that the NA engine could be converted but not the SC. Obviously things have developed somewhat.
Edit - probably getting confused with DI.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
For a long time the 5.0 couldn’t be converted as it was DI. There are companies out there who can do it now but the conversion costs are around 5 grand.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Well, the RR was thrown into service today. It’s done short trips around home for the last few weeks and hasn’t given me any problems so today I decided it would be the weapon of choice for a trip to meet a friend at Lymm Services.

In October I bought a Spires exhaust for the XFR in Essex and had it transported to a friend of mine in Welwyn Garden City. He also had a Dark Draco wheel, side vents for the Range Rover, deployable side steps for the Range Rover, and a few other bits. I also collected a genuine Land Rover boot mat on the way down in Carlisle.

The Range Rover covered 468 miles in it’s stride without batting an eye lid at it. There’s a feint rumble from the drivers front wheel bearing which got irritating after a while, thankfully though, it’s quiet enough that the radio didn’t need to be that loud to drown it out.

To answer the question about LPG consumption, the 4.2 Supercharged, 400bhp Range Rover cost me £33 on LPG to get from Lymm Services to the LPG station we pass in Paisley on the way home, according to the trip computer it was 225 miles. So 225 miles for £33. Can’t grumble at that. In my last one that was on Petrol I used to get circa 300 miles to £100 of petrol so a significant saving. Not enough to make me convert one myself but when buying one that’s already converted it’s a pleasant benefit.

David.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Finally got the side vents changed today. They were one of the things I collected yesterday. Finally, all of the tacky chrome nonsense has gone from the car now and it’s back to the way it left the factory.

Before

After

Just need to give it a good wash again now :)

David.

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Well, it's a little over 3 months since the Range Rover was MOT'd. 3 months and 4 days to be precise. In that time we've covered 2000 miles.

Other then a load of fuel, I've not had to top top any fluids, not had any warning lights come on and touch wood, no funny gremlins or anything either. It looks like doing a load of preventative maintenance has paid off :)

Only job that's still on my to do list is to have the wheels powder coated silver. Now that she's proved that she's going to behave herself I'll look to get that done at some point I reckon.

David.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts