Jaguar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

Super Moderator
And the verdict is in...

It鈥檚 a pass... :D :D

Not even an advisory.

That 4.2 engine is soo smooth and is much quieter then the direct injection 5.0 is in the XFR when you鈥檙e stood next to it.

David
Yay, congratulations 馃榿

Reactions: dhallworth

Registered
Got stopped by traffic on the way to the MOT for having no tax or MOT on the RR.

After they went over the car with a tooth comb and called the MOT centre they let me go.

Unfortunately I missed my 1pm slot so am having to wait around until he gets time to do it now which is annoying.

Fingers crossed. 馃
Shame you didn't video pc plod. Their face must have been a picture.

Administrator
Well done David, and bad luck on the pull. Very frustrating to have missed your appointment, I would have been doing my nut.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Just took it for another run to rack up some miles on the gearbox adaptions. She鈥檚 running great.

Almost got pulled twice in one day. Was going 75 and a 3 Series pulled up next to me and gave me the evil stare. Backed off and they waved.

Tinted rear windows don鈥檛 help seeing marked cars!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Well, I鈥檓 150 miles and a few gallons of petrol into shakedown testing so far, and I鈥檝e only managed to highlight 2 problems with the car which given my car related OCD, is pretty damn good going for me.

The drivers side front wheel bearing makes a bit of a rumble at motorway speeds which isn鈥檛 bad, they鈥檙e cheap enough. I鈥檝e read they can be an utter sod to change though as the driveshafts seize into the hubs.

Second, the heater on the drivers side seems to be stuck on HOT.

David.

Reactions: OBC John

Super Moderator
That鈥檚 handy for winter in Scotland then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
.... the heater on the drivers side seems to be stuck on HOT.
If the blend flap servo motor is stuck or duff, there'll be DTCs stored. I had a similar issue in a P38, turned out the blend flap can get jammed in the housing and there's just room to insert a screw in a certain place between parts of the casing forcing them apart slightly and allowing the flap to move. To get at much else of the heater box was a dash out job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Yea, been there and done that with the P38. Not a nice job.

There鈥檚 no DTC鈥檚 stored on the L322 at all so not getting any pointers unfortunately.

David.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Couldn鈥檛 resist a picture of them both together earlier... 16 Cylinders, 2 Superchargers, 900bhp. 馃槏

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Time for an update :D

Well, the Range Rover has done about 5-600 miles since passing the MOT.

The heater problem was solved with a new heater valve. The heater matrix on these is in 2 halves for the dual zone heating and as a result there鈥檚 a valve in the engine bay that diverts coolant to and from. Replacing that cured the heater being stuck on full on the drivers side. Genuine these valves are around 拢200 but the after market ones seem to be a great quality according to the forum and are only 拢44 thankfully.

The wheel bearing is now sitting in the boot, I just need time to get that fitted. A genuine bearing, hub nut and circlip was just under 拢60 which isn鈥檛 bad at all and should hopefully not be too bad to fit. Although I鈥檝e read that some people have problems getting the driveshaft out of the hub and needing a press to do it.

The wife has decided that she likes driving it which is irritating as now I have to look at my car from strange angles at times :(

After I鈥檇 done 300 miles on Petrol to let the gearbox learn it鈥檚 adaptions properly I thought I鈥檇 try the LPG system out. It ran perfectly on LPG, however, if you parked it up and started it instantly it would start ok, if you left it for a few minutes or longer it wouldn鈥檛 restart without a lot of cranking.

I did a bit of digging at the weekend and when I pulled a vacuum pipe off I could hear a hissing noise with the car switched off. I stuck the vacuum tube into a beaker of water and got bubbles so it was pressurised. When smelling the end of the vacuum pipe it was obvious that it was LPG leaking.

As the LPG was leaking into the vacuum tubing it was entering the inlet manifold. As LPG is heavier then air it was sinking into the inlet and as the LPG is harder to ignite then the air & petrol it was exhibiting itself by taking a lot of cranking to start the car.

The cause of the leak is a diaphragm that has perished in one of the LPG reducers. Normally, I鈥檇 not fit LPG to a car as for the mileage I do the cost saving isn鈥檛 worth it, however, seeing as to replace both of the reducers will cost 拢200 and LPG is 52p a litre rather then 120p a litre, it won鈥檛 take long to recoup 拢200 so they鈥檝e both been ordered and should be here this week. Thankfully, driving it on petrol stops the leak so until it鈥檚 fixed it can still be used which is good!

There鈥檚 a scuff on the NSR door and a couple of bubbles on the tailgate that I want sorting out so I visited the local body work guy yesterday. He鈥檚 quoted 拢250 to do both bits so it鈥檒l be going to him before long.

Other then that, the car is running great, driving spot on and hasn鈥檛 thrown up anything that I hadn鈥檛 found whilst tinkering with it other then the wheel bearing which I can live with.

After I鈥檇 found the LPG leak on Saturday I decided to give it and the XFR a wash. I really like looking at them together, they make a cracking pair and complement each other nicely :D

David.

Super Moderator

The heater problem was solved with a new heater valve. The heater matrix on these is in 2 halves for the dual zone heating and as a result there鈥檚 a valve in the engine bay that diverts coolant to and from. Replacing that cured the heater being stuck on full on the drivers side. Genuine these valves are around 拢200 but the after market ones seem to be a great quality according to the forum and are only 拢44 thankfully.

The wheel bearing is now sitting in the boot, I just need time to get that fitted. A genuine bearing, hub nut and circlip was just under 拢60 which isn鈥檛 bad at all and should hopefully not be too bad to fit. Although I鈥檝e read that some people have problems getting the driveshaft out of the hub and needing a press to do it.

The wife has decided that she likes driving it which is irritating as now I have to look at my car from strange angles at times :(

View attachment 185539

After I鈥檇 done 300 miles on Petrol to let the gearbox learn it鈥檚 adaptions properly I thought I鈥檇 try the LPG system out. It ran perfectly on LPG, however, if you parked it up and started it instantly it would start ok, if you left it for a few minutes or longer it wouldn鈥檛 restart without a lot of cranking.

I did a bit of digging at the weekend and when I pulled a vacuum pipe off I could hear a hissing noise with the car switched off. I stuck the vacuum tube into a beaker of water and got bubbles so it was pressurised. When smelling the end of the vacuum pipe it was obvious that it was LPG leaking.

As the LPG was leaking into the vacuum tubing it was entering the inlet manifold. As LPG is heavier then air it was sinking into the inlet and as the LPG is harder to ignite then the air & petrol it was exhibiting itself by taking a lot of cranking to start the car.

The cause of the leak is a diaphragm that has perished in one of the LPG reducers. Normally, I鈥檇 not fit LPG to a car as for the mileage I do the cost saving isn鈥檛 worth it, however, seeing as to replace both of the reducers will cost 拢200 and LPG is 52p a litre rather then 120p a litre, it won鈥檛 take long to recoup 拢200 so they鈥檝e both been ordered and should be here this week. Thankfully, driving it on petrol stops the leak so until it鈥檚 fixed it can still be used which is good!

There鈥檚 a scuff on the NSR door and a couple of bubbles on the tailgate that I want sorting out so I visited the local body work guy yesterday. He鈥檚 quoted 拢250 to do both bits so it鈥檒l be going to him before long.

Other then that, the car is running great, driving spot on and hasn鈥檛 thrown up anything that I hadn鈥檛 found whilst tinkering with it other then the wheel bearing which I can live with.

After I鈥檇 found the LPG leak on Saturday I decided to give it and the XFR a wash. I really like looking at them together, they make a cracking pair and complement each other nicely :D

View attachment 185540

David.
Great update, running it on LPG will keep the combustion chambers clean too 馃榿

Registered
Sounds like it's all going quite well David, good news and as Dave says an interesting update.

Registered
Nice to hear you鈥檝e almost got it sorted David. Well done that man!

View attachment 185539

View attachment 185540

David.
You're a lucky fella to have that pair on the driveway.

Not envious at all, Nope, never, nadda, nothing. ;)

81 - 100 of 110 Posts