Jaguar Forum banner
881 - 900 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
First, Congrats for the baby. That made me smile. Everything else was read with tight lips.
I’ve been reading all posts from this thread as a holiday literature and have been enjoying every moment of it. Thinking now that the whole story started with one bad coil and stripping chrome from the door handles I hoped this will turn into something I could do myself, but then, you killed all my desire of owning any Range. The facilities, patience and skill you showed are top notch and I can only admire what you did. Fantastic. Hope you’ll finally get her on the fields and wish you many full trailer tows. Will keep following this thread with great interest.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #882 ·
Thank you :)

I'm amazed at the amount of interest and positive comments this thread has followed... To sum it up I guess it could go as follows:

1. Idiot buys cheap Range Rover.
2. Idiot thinks Range Rover is repaired cheaply.
3. Idiot falls head over heels for Range Rover.
4. Idiot got burned 😂

However, it's a nice car to drive and I did get 12 months of relatively trouble free, cheap (whilst it had LPG), enjoyable motoring from it. Now that I've done all this work to it then it should be a well sorted car for years to come.

Knowing what's growing inside my wife I'm glad I chose to do it all this year! 🙈

I'll keep updating this thread as we go and will no doubt be screaming from the roof tops when it's running again and when it's passed it's MOT!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

David.

·
Administrator
31,210 Posts
Was talking to the owner of a brand new (latest edition) Rangie last night - apparently he had it ordered 2 years ago, and it is the only one his main dealer has delivered to date, or expect to deliver for a while. The factory that makes the "pop out" door handles was in the Ukraine. I say "was" as it is now flattened by shelling/missiles.

He does like his new Rangie tho' - says it is a real luxury car now. Good as the Bentayga he had before.........

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #884 ·
The new Range Rover is getting some really good press.

Must admit, if I could only have 1 car it would be a Range Rover. It's the one car I've had or driven that does everything.

We had an L405 courtesy car a few years ago that was utterly superb but they're still very expensive. For me, the L322 is at a price point where it's worth a gamble, for a newer one I'd want it from an LR dealer with a warranty on it I reckon.

I'd like a drive in the new model but know that I'd hate mine after it so am resisting the urge!

David.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Thank you :)

I'm amazed at the amount of interest and positive comments this thread has followed... To sum it up I guess it could go as follows:

1. Idiot buys cheap Range Rover.
2. Idiot thinks Range Rover is repaired cheaply.
3. Idiot falls head over heels for Range Rover.
4. Idiot got burned 😂

However, it's a nice car to drive and I did get 12 months of relatively trouble free, cheap (whilst it had LPG), enjoyable motoring from it. Now that I've done all this work to it then it should be a well sorted car for years to come.

Knowing what's growing inside my wife I'm glad I chose to do it all this year! 🙈

I'll keep updating this thread as we go and will no doubt be screaming from the roof tops when it's running again and when it's passed it's MOT!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

David.
It's funny how that happens....

When my Partner told me she was pregnant with our first, two days afterwards I'd bought an SV8. It was one of those now or never moments, and eventually led me here.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #886 ·
It’s more time wise I’m pleased tbh. I’ll always have a project or 3 on the go and am already looking for my next but I’ll probably not be as adventurous next time.

Actually, who am I kidding. 🙈

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Administrator
29,538 Posts
It’s more time wise I’m pleased tbh. I’ll always have a project or 3 on the go and am already looking for my next but I’ll probably not be as adventurous next time.

Actually, who am I kidding. 🙈
It’ll need to wield a spanner then?

doesn’t necessarily need to be a boy to do that.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #888 ·
It’ll be born with a 10mm socket in its hand!!

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
DPD came and left yesterday without dropping off my parcels! 😡

The notes had a picture of the front door but said nobody was home. My folks have the landscapers in at the moment who saw him but he never said a word - took a photo of the door and left apparently!

Tracking says they'll be back out between 14:21 and 15:21 today so fingers crossed we get the last 2 seals we need to finish this job off!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #890 ·
Parts have been delivered today :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #891 ·
Bit irritated with myself tonight… I’d forgotten to clean the bolts for the front cover so they’re now soaking overnight in degreaser.
Ashtray Cigarette Tin Cuisine Ash

The front cover oil seal is replaced and the bolt holes have been numbered to make tightening a bit less hassle.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Gas

The new alternator is finally here too.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Really hoping for some decent progress tomorrow. 🤞

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,173 Posts
Looking forward to the next instalment David.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Bit irritated with myself tonight… I’d forgotten to clean the bolts for the front cover so they’re now soaking overnight in degreaser.
Make the most of these moments whilst they still happen David, in a couple of years you'll be putting things back together with 'most' of the bolts because some have mysteriously disappeared, and you don't have the time to find them.. let alone clean those that you still have... 😁

We on jaginfo might have to start a 'go fund me' type page for a nanny/au pair for you so we can still get regular updates... 😂

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #894 ·
Right… time for an update! Not as much progress as I’d wanted but hey ho!

Saturday morning saw the timing cover refitted with the cleaned up bolts.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

I then replaced all of the rubber grommets on the valve covers. I’d counted 12 bolt holes on each valve cover but hadn’t counted the 2 in the middle by the coils so it works out I was 3 grommets short 😩 The degreaser has really discoloured my PCV valve too unfortunately.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Gas Machine

Thankfully I had enough to get one side all buttoned up :)

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Personal luxury car

After that I refitted the crankshaft pulley. That bugger goes up to 380nm or 280lbft! That was a bugger to get tight. Trying to hold the tool whilst swinging on the torque wrench made my shoulder feel like it was going to give way!

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive air manifold

It’s these things I’m missing 3 of.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Finger Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Grille Automotive exterior

This evening I refitted the adapter that goes between the cylinder head and the charge cooler on the drivers side. This is what houses the injectors and secures the injector rail. Despite reading through the workshop manual twice, these parts aren’t mentioned so I torqued them up to 20nm. I didn’t want to go over the top as they’re into aluminium.

Both of these are brand new as the originals had been drilled for the LPG.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold

I then cleaned the air intake elbow that mounts to the back of the supercharger and made sure that the new throttle body was the right one.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Nut Machine

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #895 ·
And this evening I finished off by refitting the pulleys and tensioners to the front cover.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Yellow Automotive fuel system

There’s no water pump gasket in the box of bits that I’ve received from the dealer either so I can only assume I forgot t order it so I’ve got a few things to get ordered tomorrow. Then we’re on the home straight. I’ll stop saying that one day as every time I think I’m nearly there things change!

David.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Black trim wax on the PCV valve may make it look better? That'd just bug me if left.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #897 ·
That’s why it’s on the list of parts to order tomorrow morning 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: cutlea01

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #898 ·
Forgot to add that the alternator bracket is now back on the block with the new alternator fitted. The air con bracket is also back on the other side and the bolt that was drilled and helicoiled has torqued up no problem at all. Air con compressor is now refitted too.

If I’d been able to find the water pump gasket tonight the main drive belt would have been back on.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I'll have a gander in the garage later, I may have a spare PCV valve..... Although I did clear it out a few weeks ago so don't hold your breath 🤣

·
Administrator
31,210 Posts
Did you coat the cams etc. with assembly oil ready for the startup? It will take a while for oil to get everywhere on that first start.

881 - 900 of 909 Posts