Jaguar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
They did. I’ve still got my XM tucked up in the garage too :)
My father had an XM in 1991, superb car, suspension was incredible (other than a bit noisy with the pump constantly topping up the spheres)

·
Administrator
29,273 Posts
No problem to buy one, it is where to put it.

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts

·
Administrator
29,273 Posts
Not enough headroom in either location.

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
Not enough headroom in either location.
Even in a standard garage you should be able to lift it 4ft off the ground, that's some useful lift over axle stands

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just been chuckling at the thought of my wife coming home tonight to see a car lift in the centre of her lovely immaculate kitchen

·
Administrator
29,273 Posts
I have tried this at my local friendly MOT garage - working on a car at that height absolutely kills my back. I just can't "stoop" at that height for more than a minute or so.

This is why I haven't bought anything like the lift Thor has - the height they get to does not make life easier for me, might as well be laying flat on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
I have tried this at my local friendly MOT garage - working on a car at that height absolutely kills my back. I just can't "stoop" at that height for more than a minute or so.

This is why I haven't bought anything like the lift Thor has - the height they get to does not make life easier for me, might as well be laying flat on the floor.
We use a low chair on castors

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I know exactly what you mean about crouching. I'm much taller then my Dad or my Brother so if I'm getting hand doing something the ramp is much lower for them to be able to reach and I end up crouching which isn't much fun!

My father had an XM in 1991, superb car, suspension was incredible (other than a bit noisy with the pump constantly topping up the spheres)
The hydraulic pumps were noisy on the earlier cars. Thankfully, around 1994/95 they changed the design of them and by the time the last cars were produced they were completely silent. Mine was built on 28th May 2000 so is one of the last XM's to be produced. It's got the V6 petrol in it and being Exclusive trim it's a nice place to munch miles. I've had it 10 years now and it's only just on 53k miles :)

David.

Reactions: Pete McK

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I've literally just a minute ago come off the phone from booking it in for an MOT. I fitted the new bearing and fan shroud last night, just got the under trays to fit tonight and at 1pm tomorrow it's going on the ramp for it's MOT! 🤞

·
Administrator
29,273 Posts
Should be a breeze.............

·
Founder member
5,270 Posts

It’s a vast difference to crawling on the floor, seat on castors works well, height is limited by the electric door mechanism.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I've literally just a minute ago come off the phone from booking it in for an MOT. I fitted the new bearing and fan shroud last night, just got the under trays to fit tonight and at 1pm tomorrow it's going on the ramp for it's MOT! 🤞
Good luck with the MOT tomorrow David.

Is it just me that can see a lineage from the XM to the C6? The C5 doesn't seem to show that lineage to me though?...

One of my mates (a member on here) has had a couple of XM's, I have to say that driving an XM estate with it's full power brakes.. a single spoke steering with virtually no 'feel' at all for what the front wheels are doing.. whilst riding on hydroelastic (hydro elastic?) suspension makes for quite a surreal experience the first time of driving, particularly with such a large car in narrow lanes... :D

Also, having been picked up early in the morning a couple of times after far, far too many beers the night before.. I can honestly say that being a front seat passenger in an XM is not the nicest place to be when you're feeling.. er.. a little 'delicate'... :D

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Got stopped by traffic on the way to the MOT for having no tax or MOT on the RR.

After they went over the car with a tooth comb and called the MOT centre they let me go.

Unfortunately I missed my 1pm slot so am having to wait around until he gets time to do it now which is annoying.

Fingers crossed. 🤞

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
And the verdict is in...

It’s a pass... :D :D

Not even an advisory.

That 4.2 engine is soo smooth and is much quieter then the direct injection 5.0 is in the XFR when you’re stood next to it.

David

·
Registered
20,484 Posts
And the verdict is in...

Not even an advisory.

That 4.2 engine is soo smooth and is much quieter then the direct injection 5.0 is in the XFR when you’re stood next to it.

David
Good news. And hats off to you David!

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,491 Posts
And the verdict is in...

Not even an advisory.

David
Excellent, never really doubted it would pass though.....

61 - 80 of 110 Posts