Jaguar Forum banner
681 - 700 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
It's one of those things, people have got that used to using the term now that it's kind of stuck. My colleagues would always say that a chain has stretched but I don't bother correcting them. I personally use the term "worn out" which is slightly more appropriate. That said in textiles, exposed chains get quickly coated in fibre and dust and very quickly wear out. We go through boxes and boxes of the stuff.

Some machinery we actually have to run them clean and dry as they clog up so quickly there's no other way to install them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Nothing much done today. Tidied up around the ramp, cleaned some bits of the car before putting them out of the way to avoid damage and create space.

Tidied the toolbox as things were being put away. Well, made a start on it anyway.

Automotive design Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Gas

Decided I was missing a few bits I wanted so ordered a set of Britool Impact Torx sockets and Britool Impact Hex Key Sockets. Left room on the plywood for expansion :D Was going to need something anyway as the head bolts on Range Rover are T60. The biggest torx key I had before was a T55.

Product Black Red Material property Audio equipment

Hand tool Product Kitchen utensil Tool Rectangle

Drilled holes in the OSB for the ratchets to sit in. 1/2” at the top, then 3/8” and then 1/4” at the bottom. The 3/4” gear can stay in the cases it came in as it doesn’t get used very often.

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Rebuilt the snout on the Supercharger this evening too. 2 new bearings and an oil seal fitted. When pressing the bearings out of the back of the case I didn’t realise that they’re dust caps on the newer chargers. The earlier charges had dust caps integral to the bearings. As a result, I managed to damage the dust caps so am just waiting for 2 new ones to arrive and I can reassemble the rotor pack this week.

Going to order the timing chains and all the other parts I need on Tuesday. Nowhere is open tomorrow with it being a bank holiday. 😩 Plan is to try and get a bit more tidying done tomorrow ready for the rest of the dismantling.

Decided I want a new digital torque wrench for this one too. None of ours have been calibrated for years and seeing as the head bolts are a specific figure and then an angled amount I want to be sure I’m using an accurate tool so will be looking for one with an angle gauge built into it.

A friend of mine is a local Snap On rep so I’ll give him a call during the week and see if he’s got any offers on. If he’s not I’ll start doing some shopping around to see what’s about.

David.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
More progress has been made today!

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Auto part

To get the timing cover off you need to remove the air con compressor and the bracket that holds it which is mounted to the block. Some 🤬 who has been in here before had cross threaded one of the bolts and it sheered whilst removing it so that’s going to need addressing before reassembly.

Other then that, disassembly has been very straight forward.

Here’s how the block looks this evening.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Scrap Auto part

The heads are now both on the toolbox with the cams and timing gear.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior Gas

Light Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive design

Interestingly, the timing chains that go from the crank to the intake cams were still tight. It was both chains that link the intake and exhaust cams in each head that had a lot of slack in them.

With the heads off, you can actually see a difference in the way the inlet valves are seated in the heads.

Cylinder 1:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Vehicle

Cylinder 2:
Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

Cylinder 3:
Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire

Cylinder 4:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Hubcap

Someone has definitely been in at this engine before. One of the bolts on the cam bearing caps was loose, half of the bolts on the exhaust manifolds were loose, and one of the cam caps was marked with black marker pen.

Automotive tire Safety glove Gas Engineering Machine

Unfortunately, I also think one of the camshafts is scrap.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Debating over a pint of Guinness what to do about the cams now. Am trying to decide between buying a couple of used ones off eBay in the hope I can make a decent set of buying new.

Cams for the old Rover V8’s were readily available aftermarket but these newer engines don’t seem to be available from anywhere other then LR at £350 each.

David.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You can't refit that cam. Any chance of spray welding and having it reground to size? Otherwise maybe a used one if whoever is supplying it can give all assurances it's without wear or scoring or better still, some decent photos of the cam lobes and bearing surfaces?

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
Decided over the weekend that I was going to put 4 new cams in the Range Rover with the new cylinder heads.

Just found out this morning that 3 are available but the right hand inlet cam is now obsolete and nobody has any stock. 😫

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Decided over the weekend that I was going to put 4 new cams in the Range Rover with the new cylinder heads.

Just found out this morning that 3 are available but the right hand inlet cam is now obsolete and nobody has any stock. 😫
Maybe, just maybe you're going a bit further than you need to :unsure:.

I appreciate one is going to need a repair/replacement, but does it really require all four changing?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
The one pictured is definitely the worst but there are some marks on all 4.

There's 2 ways of looking at it I guess...

1. Am I going to far?
2. Is it worth not doing it properly when it's this far torn down?

I'm leaning towards No. 2 at the moment as I really really don't want to be tearing this down again.

Have managed to find the obsolete camshaft in stock at Atlantic British in New York. Just asked the wife if she fancies a day trip to NYC :D

David.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
If you are going to keep the car, no intention of selling it for years, then it's option no. 2. I had a mate who really wanted an expensive Breitling, I mean seriously expensive, not available anywhere, Breitling weren't going to make any more, but there was 1 in stock in NYC, he got on a plane. £219 return. He posted the box and papers back home and wore the watch through customs to avoid import duty and VAT!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
I've been looking at flights today.

The part is a 4hr drive from any of the NY airports other then Albany but flying to Albany is £2800!

I can get return to NYC and hire a car for under £500 return but am trying to convince the dealer into either posting it at my expense or allowing me to have a courier collect it from them first.

David.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
I've just spoken to the Land Rover dealer who have been helping me out with all of the parts for this car.

Turns out the cams are no longer made so when LR stock runs out they go obsolete.

Stock levels as of today are:

LH Inlet Cam - 3 in stock
RH Exhaust Cam - More then 10 in stock
LH Exhaust Cam - 6 in stock

Thankfully the worst one in my car is the RH exhaust cam. The company in the states also do international orders so I've filled out the form on their website and will hopefully get a response soon.

David.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Does this engine have the variable valve timing like the SV8 did/does? I only as as perhaps trying part numbers associated with the Jaguar version might flag a few more parts up perhaps? They'll only be doing a search based on the LR part number and your vin I'm assuming.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
I’ve checked against the 4.2 in the S-Type and the XF and the cams have very different part numbers and prices from the ones in the Range Rover.

I’ve read before that LR use different cams to the Jags for different torque figures.

The RR only have variable valve timing in the US and it was done for emissions reasons apparently.

Having had a proper look at my cams this evening, there’s no way I’m refitting any of them into the brand new heads. Will add pictures shortly.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Cam Journals

Bank 1
Exhaust Cam
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Rim Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine tool Metalworking Gas

Inlet Cam
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Light Hood Automotive tire Bumper

Bank 2
Inlet Cam
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Exhaust Cam (Worst one - look at that groove!)
Light Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
Some of the cam lobes are smooth, some of them are a bit more angled and one of them is almost pointed.

You can see the marks on the lobes too. The 2nd and 3rd pictures you can actually see the ridge on the top of the lobe.

Trigger Air gun Gas Ammunition Gun accessory

Shoe Automotive tire Crankset Automotive design Bicycle part

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

Close up…

Automotive tire Bicycle part Alloy wheel Rim Material property

I can’t get over the wear in the top end of this engine given the car has full service history!

So… 4 new cams required I reckon!

·
21,144 Posts
Have you gotten a price for spray welding and machining back to original dimensions?

Must be someone in the Strathclyde/greater Glasgow area that can do this, and do it well.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
I looked into having them machined and there was a guy who was happy to grind them but when I mentioned having them built up and then ground down to the original dimensions he didn’t seem to keen as with these ones being worn it’d be hard to know what the original dimensions were.

I’m toying with the idea of giving Piper or Kent Cams a call tomorrow to see what they can offer.

David.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
Trying to photograph them using a torch as light in the workshop at dusk is difficult. Especially on reflective surfaces.

My DSLR never goes near the workshop, they were taken on my iPhone 13 Pro. They’re also compressed from over 5MB to less then 1MB when I upload them.

681 - 700 of 726 Posts