Jaguar Forum banner
281 - 300 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
The guy has just been in touch... the diff I've got is for a 4.2 Supercharged but I was right, it's for a 4.2 Supercharged RR Sport.

It's the right part number on the box, and the diff even has the right part number for my car written on it, unfortunately it's just the wrong part. He's been a true gent about it though and is going to check his stock to see if he has the right one and he's going to arrange to have this one collected once I've had a chance to stick it back on a pallet.

David.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
The guy has just been in touch... the diff I've got is for a 4.2 Supercharged but I was right, it's for a 4.2 Supercharged RR Sport.

It's the right part number on the box, and the diff even has the right part number for my car written on it, unfortunately it's just the wrong part. He's been a true gent about it though and is going to check his stock to see if he has the right one and he's going to arrange to have this one collected once I've had a chance to stick it back on a pallet.

David.
Well done that seller!

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Absolutely! It’s a very, very pleasant surprise if I’m honest :)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think you should 'Name them & Shame them' David (if you haven't already).. for surprising you (and us) so much... :D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Dropped my wheels off for a refurb yesterday and decided to take the opportunity to swap the tyres.

The fronts were half worn Pirelli Scorpion Zero’s and the rears were nearly new Pirelli Scorpion Verdes but I wanted the Pirelli tyres with the noise cancellation on them.

One thing I also noticed was that swapping the tyres to the spare set of scruffy wheels I had whilst mine are off reduced the noise from the diff whine.

Anyway, ordered from Camskill yesterday morning at 11:30, and at 09:30 APC turned up with these.
Automotive tire Product Camera lens Automotive design Tire

Plant Barrel Sky Cloud Automotive tire

Should be getting the wheels back this evening too 😁

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Interesting, so it really is just a lot of foam pads stuck to the inside of the tyre then.

I've just put a set of Scorpion Verde onto the F-Pace and I've a load of open cell foam lying about.... I wonder?

😂

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Interesting, so it really is just a lot of foam pads stuck to the inside of the tyre then.

I've just put a set of Scorpion Verde onto the F-Pace and I've a load of open cell foam lying about.... I wonder?

😂
Hmm, expanding foam introduced via the tyre valve?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Got a call from the wheel place this morning to confirm that the wheels would definitely be finished today. I told him I’d bought new tyres for them and he said he’d fit and balance them for me if I dropped them off so I ran the tyres up to him.

He’s done a great job of them and in the light there’s a nice sparkle in the finish as well as per the original LR colour.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

Tonight I fitted 2 new rear shock absorbers and 2 new rear air springs too. As I just it jacked up the front left air spring burst 😩

Unfortunately they’ll need to be ordered up as I didn’t have them here. My new centre caps haven’t arrived yet either which is annoying as the wheels don’t look finished without them. Getting rid of the black wheels has transformed the look of the car though 😁

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Once I’ finally get it where I want it mechanically I’ll have a go at getting the paint corrected to get rid of the swirls.

David.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Thanks guys :)

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light

Am over the moon with how she looks now the wheels are back to silver. Unfortunately the centre caps didn’t arrive in the post today but it’ll look great when they’re fitted.

New front shock absorbers and air springs were ordered today. LR retail these at just shy of £800 per side. I got them from Island 4x4, they’re made by the same company who make them for LR (Febi) but they don’t come in the LR box. They were £199 a corner + VAT so a huge difference in price to genuine!

They should be here on Friday so hopefully she’ll be running again by the weekend.

David.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Hi, I think it's great to see the nice silver wheels, so much better than the dirty looking black ones. Phil

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks guys :)

View attachment 188969

Am over the moon with how she looks now the wheels are back to silver. Unfortunately the centre caps didn’t arrive in the post today but it’ll look great when they’re fitted.

New front shock absorbers and air springs were ordered today. LR retail these at just shy of £800 per side. I got them from Island 4x4, they’re made by the same company who make them for LR (Febi) but they don’t come in the LR box. They were £199 a corner + VAT so a huge difference in price to genuine!

They should be here on Friday so hopefully she’ll be running again by the weekend.

David.
Proper smart David, good job.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
The postman delivered the new centre caps today so I managed to get the car looking finished.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hopefully the new Air Springs will arrive tomorrow so that I can get it finished and back on the road again. Then the only outstanding job I’ve got left to do is fit the deployable side steps that I’ve got sitting here. Well, for now… it is a Range Rover I guess. 🙈

Anyway, here’s a before and after picture. The top picture is how it arrived in January with chrome bits everywhere… the bottom picture is how she sits today. Completely returned to standard using all genuine parts. It’s been a mission and has cost a fortune but I’m glad I’ve done it as it really does look like a different car. I’m chuffed to bits with it if I’m honest.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

David.

·
Administrator
30,009 Posts
How's the gearbox behaving now?

And do you still have diffs to fit?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
The gearbox is behaving perfectly at the moment. The changes are smooth as silk. The car is switching in and out of high and low perfectly now too.

Interesting story about the diffs… the noise from the rear that I was absolutely certain was the diff disappeared on Monday when I was using a different set of wheels/tyres to take the originals to get refurbished. Due to this, I’ve fitted a complete set of new tyres.

The rear diff that I was sent was actually a rear diff for a Supercharged RR Sport so was the wrong one. I’m just waiting on that being collected now as it’s no use to me.

I’ve still got the front diff but it doesn’t seem to be making much noise if any at the moment so I’m not going to rush to do it.

David.

·
20,244 Posts
The postman delivered the new centre caps today so I managed to get the car looking finished.

View attachment 188989

Hopefully the new Air Springs will arrive tomorrow so that I can get it finished and back on the road again. Then the only outstanding job I’ve got left to do is fit the deployable side steps that I’ve got sitting here. Well, for now… it is a Range Rover I guess. 🙈

Anyway, here’s a before and after picture. The top picture is how it arrived in January with chrome bits everywhere… the bottom picture is how she sits today. Completely returned to standard using all genuine parts. It’s been a mission and has cost a fortune but I’m glad I’ve done it as it really does look like a different car. I’m chuffed to bits with it if I’m honest.

View attachment 188988

David.
Cracking job Dave - looks the mutts nuts!

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

View attachment 188989

View attachment 188988

David.
A vast improvement David, much much betterer!

281 - 300 of 317 Posts