Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I changed the wheels on my last X-Type to some genuine Jaguar ones that turned out to be forged, they were lighter without a shadow of doubt.. but the difference when driving the car was remarkable!!

The improvement in the way the suspension then worked without anything coming through to the body of the car was amazing, lighter steering when hooning it and bumps and thumps relegated to you being aware of but not 'feeling'.

Less un-sprung weight makes a big difference, if you borrowed a set of 'normal' wheels they'd probably feel like wet clay encrusted clogs in comparison.. :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Yes the Blade wheels are forged but they are still fairly heavy and nowhere near as light as "racing" two piece forged wheels. IIRC they are a whopping 2kg or thereabouts each lighter than F-Type OEM cast 20" wheels.
As I said before the CF inserts are real CF, I know coz I have taken one off (two little Torx screws holding each one on) and had a good squiz at the back of it and the CF matrix is obvious.
Yes they save a little weight but bugger all really considering the weight of the rest of the wheel.
I also read somewhere that JLR deliberately made all the OEM F-Type wheels fairly heavy so they would be more robust and less prone to buckling.
Here's a pic of the back of one of the CF inserts:

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Also noticed that the other day when I wiped off the wheels for the first time - the only bits that get visually affected by brake dust are the glossy CF inserts.

Actually thought the whole wheels and silver lip were glossy before I saw them in the flesh.
They look like a flat matt lacquer.
Has this on an Audi.
Made the mistake of trying to polish out a scratch and made the lacquer shiny

A very light buff with some Scotchbrite took the shine away.

Reactions: MajorTom

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Yep, the wheels still seem to be bloody heavy. I think Skrrt made some weight comparisons to other 20" wheels and concluded that the difference wasn't that big.

Harry Metcalfe talked about this in one of his vids about the Project 7 IIRC, was surprised that F-type wheels were so heavy and was told by someone within JLR that they were made to the same robustness spec as Land Rover wheels. That said I'll probably dare to drive my F-Type on crappy UK roads one day.

Just had to pop out for another drive to test a little mod I did last night. Can't stop driving this thing. :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Yep, the wheels still seem to be bloody heavy. I think Skrrt made some weight comparisons to other 20" wheels and concluded that the difference wasn't that big.

Harry Metcalfe talked about this in one of his vids about the Project 7 IIRC, was surprised that F-type wheels were so heavy and was told by someone within JLR that they were made to the same robustness spec as Land Rover wheels. That said I'll probably dare to drive my F-Type on crappy UK roads one day.

Just had to pop out for another drive to test a little mod I did last night. Can't stop driving this thing. :D
Yep, that's where I heard it, Harry's Garage!
IMHO he is one of the best motoring journalists around, very straightforward and down to earth (despite obviously being loaded!).
I don't worry about driving mine on crappy Adelaide goat tracks, never had a bent or buckled rim yet.

Reactions: Sdotk

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yep, that's where I heard it, Harry's Garage!
IMHO he is one of the best motoring journalists around, very straightforward and down to earth (despite obviously being loaded!).
I don't worry about driving mine on crappy Adelaide goat tracks, never had a bent or buckled rim yet.
Couldn't agree more about Harry. Also just seems to be a super nice guy.

Reactions: Statler and Sdotk

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,398 Posts
Yeah , I like harry's reviews, got me wondering if they were borrowed cars or his own, wonder how he made his money?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I bought my wheels when I got the car for about £1800, the dealer fitted them, I sold them when I got rid of the car for £2k, the original wheels went back on and were more or less unused. The car looked 100 times better with the blades on.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I bought my wheels when I got the car for about £1800, the dealer fitted them, I sold them when I got rid of the car for £2k, the original wheels went back on and were more or less unused. The car looked 100 times better with the blades on. View attachment 186290

View attachment 186291
Yeah the blades do make a massive difference. I'm considering getting a set of 19" winters exactly like the ones you got with your car. Reminds me of the setup I had on my last XF... Dark Dracos for summer and 18" Venus for the winters... and putting the winters on always made me cringe a little because of the difference in looks.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yeah , I like harry's reviews, got me wondering if they were borrowed cars or his own, wonder how he made his money?
Some own and some borrowed. Founded EVO magazine and I think there's some old money/land behind as well. A proper petrol head anyhow. :)

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Some own and some borrowed. Founded EVO magazine and I think there's some old money/land behind as well. A proper petrol head anyhow. :)
Harry has a large farm as well. Look for Harry’s Farm on YouTube.

I’d imagine the farm grants are reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
29,833 Posts
Wow, an absolute stunner, love the colour combo too 😍

Reactions: MajorTom

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
So a good week into ownership it's time for a bit more rambling about the impressions of moving from an X250 to this. To put it short I love this thing. It looks, sounds and feels spectacular. Ian Callum's biggest design achievement if you ask me. I have spent quite a bit of time on the road... every short drive easily turns into a long detour. :)

It's so nice to have the engine I know so well in this car. I loved the AJ126 it in the XF too but having it in a relatively light F-Type instead of a two tonne AWD saloon makes a massive difference. The gearbox programming also feels much better.

It also feels great that it's pure RWD... if you push it you clearly notice that it takes a bit more to drive it than my super sure footed AWD XF did. I really like how well the Jaguar AWD works and how rear biased it is but in this car it just feels right with RWD. It really doesn't take much to get the rear end to stick out in completely dry conditions but the DSC does a great job and it may be because of the OEM P-Zeros which have a bit of a bad reputation for their grip and wear. Other than that I'm happy with the P-Zeros so far but it will be interesting to see how the car behaves with other tyres. I think I'll pop over to the Nürburgring some time soon so new tyres may be needed sooner rather than later. :)

The sound is of course quite different too... the in cabin exhaust noise at full chat with the exhaust valves open really is bloody loud. Startup is also louder than I remember from when I last drove the F-Type V6S (a few years back admittedly). Call me crazy but I'd actually like if it was possible to start the car quietly. I've mostly driven it in S+Dynamic, so in jumpy noisy mode (since that's the way I have the configurable dynamic mode set up). Fortunately the car can also be really quiet if you want to, which is one of the reasons to why I wanted the V6S. Cruising or driving gently with the exhaust valves closed really is very different... no noise, no rumble or droning, just super smooth. It has almost become a reflex to flick it back into silent gliding mode (D, no dynamic mode) when entering a village after giving it the beans on country roads.

One positive surprise is actually ICTP. I've used it loads of times in other cars but never got to know it as well as now. I still think it could have more features, know that it's already a bit old hat and not developed any more, but it works really smoothly, looks good and does its job well. Having loads of music on a USB stick I particularly like the media player with its much nicer features and graphics compared to the system in the X250 and ability to play lossless formats. The remote features with trip logging etc are also kind of nice to have although it's nothing important. Even the satnav feels good, although it really doesn't matter because I'll replace it with CarPlay sooner or later.

I'm pretty blown away by the interior too, and that's coming from someone who's used to the X250's level of interior feel. All other F-Types I've driven have had all black more or less base spec interiors while this is pretty much top of the range. IMHO I don't think an F-Type interior can get much better than this and the only part of the interior that isn't upgraded is the morzine headlining which somehow anyway feels nicer than the morzine ones in the X250. The materials are great and it feels rock solid without any rattles even on cobble stone streets. You can tell that they've upgraded the interior materials over the years too. Earlier F-Types suffer from sticky buttons because they used that useless soft touch button coating that Jaguar introduced with the X250 facelift. Not sure when it was changed in the F-Type but there's none of that rubbish in this one... all the buttons have nice solid surfaces.

Other than that I've only noticed two minor interior niggles that I'm looking into - a bit of creaking if you push the area around the silver inserts in the upper backs of the performance seats and a faint buzz that can appear around the B pillar when the exhaust is screaming at full chat around 4000 rpm. The dealer said that he'll book the car in to fine tune the bonnet alignment (something that even I with my OCD barely can see) and I'll probably have those things checked then.

One detail I noticed was also the paddles... it came with silver paddles which are the small standard plastic paddles covered with quite a thick layer of aluminium. I think I first saw such upgraded standard paddles back when the F-Pace was introduced. You could see how thick the layer was after removing the paddles, which was one of the first things I did in order to install the custom made aluminium paddles I had in both my XFs. My larger solid aluminium paddles of course feel much better but anyways those OEM paddles felt surprisingly good for being coated plastic paddles. The metal layer is so thick that they feel much more solid than the plain plastic ones and is thick enough for them to feel a bit cool.

In terms of toys I still haven't gotten around to try out the auto parallel park feature or launch control. Will have to give the launch control a go next time I'm out and about. Like with most other cars I've driven with lane keep assist, I've just turned it off and forgotten about it. Might possibly come in handy during some long motorway trip down to southern France. When I picked it up last week part of the 30 minute drive home was via the autobahn but I took it pretty easy so I still have to pop back across the German border to see how it feels around its top speed.

Well chuffed would be a massive understatement. An F-Type and especially a late well specced one really is a very special feeling car and IMHO embodies so much of what a Jaguar should be.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Tom,
The loud start up is unavoidable as it is programmed to open the exhaust valves and rev to 2,000 rpm on start up, except on the latest models where it is muted (exhaust valves closed) by default.
But on earlier models such as yours the trick is to start up in normal mode (not dynamic) then put it in gear asap, as that quietens it right down. That way the roar lasts only a second or so, then once you get going toggle it to dynamic mode to keep the exhaust valves open and enjoy improved throttle response.
And once (not if but when!) you swap out the P-Zeros for MPS4S you will be amazed at the improvement in traction, grip and handling, the rear end will be much more behaved.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Reminds me of this courtesy car Sturgess gave me three years ago this week. P380. Was so much fun especially as for the two weeks I had it the weather was glorious and I did about 1500 miles with the roof down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,258 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,833 Posts

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
I think Tom's F-Type is truly beautiful and I think if I were ever in a position to spec one from new, that colour combination would be high on my list now I've seen it.
But I have to disagree with his assertion that it is Ian Callum's "biggest design achievement". IMHO, the F-Type falls way short of his X150 XK, coupé. I go weak-kneed whenever I see one . . . in black.

Reactions: cutlea01

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I think Tom's F-Type is truly beautiful and I think if I were ever in a position to spec one from new, that colour combination would be high on my list now I've seen it.
But I have to disagree with his assertion that it is Ian Callum's "biggest design achievement". IMHO, the F-Type falls way short of his X150 XK, coupé. I go weak-kneed whenever I see one . . . in black.
How can you say that straight after disparaging carbon fibre ("knitting") when Tom has Blade wheels with, let's count 'em, 20 pieces of carbon fibre!

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
29,833 Posts
How can you say that straight after disparaging carbon fibre ("knitting") when Tom has Blade wheels with, let's count 'em, 20 pieces of carbon fibre!
Well spotted, I hadn’t noticed the carbon blades, she just gets better and batter 😍

41 - 60 of 70 Posts