Jaguar Forum banner

361 - 380 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Engine run-on is after the ignition is switched off, used to make me laugh when my cars did this. I'd wave the keys at my friends with the engine going brum, brum, buuuuum, brum, brum, pop! Sparks aren't needed for run-on, there's enough hot spots in the cylinder to promote ignition, probably hot carbon I think. Been a few years now since I've had a SU in bits, used to tune these carbs and turn down the needles if I couldn't get a correct one. Setting up a very modified A series turbo was fun with boost at 12 psi! Had to turn it down to 10 psi as the needle was just so thin at the higher boost, almost didn't need a needle at full throttle and the piston raised!

Reactions: Statler

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
You've just been promoted to SU Expert ;)

I used to have a copy of the big yellow Haynes book by my bed. Vizard's Tuning A series Engines. How I would have loved to have the money to do some of the things in that book!
My mate ran a 1430 A series in his 3 dr Allegro. It was fast, for the time, but highly unpredictable in the bends. He put it on it's roof in a ditch in the end. The engine is now in a race prepped Mini Clubman that's been sitting in his garage in Leeds for the last 20 years. He's taken heart from the MG and is now at a stage where he can look at putting it back on the road/track.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Mentioning that book made me check the bookcase, and I "found" my old bibles, with handwritten notes and charts including the needle measurements I thought I'd lost for the turbo carb setup! The Vizard book is a bit faded now...

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Lovey to see again Alan.
Sadly, I think I gave my copy away some years ago :(

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Got the carbs finished.

New butterflies and spindles. No slop in the bearings and the original spindle seals were still flexible so they were re-used.

Old butterflies with the ‘popper’

Cleaned up nicely

Polished up the tops to give them a bit of a shine.

The old bits.
One of the needle valves was sticking and did need replaced.

Hopefully get them back on shortly.

Question : the inlet manifold has been painted black at some stage and is flaking. I’d like to take It off and clean it up but dont want the hassle of pulling the exhaust manifold to replace the gasket.

Is there a sealant I could use?

Reactions: Gav and Rigger

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Question : the inlet manifold has been painted black at some stage and is flaking. I’d like to take It off and clean it up but dont want the hassle of pulling the exhaust manifold to replace the gasket.

Is there a sealant I could use?
Nothing I've ever heard of. The manifold will be cast aluminium alloy, I doubt the paint would have been properly etch primed, hence it's flaking. Best to bite the bullet and pull the manifold, strip and clean it. New manifold gasket in't much?

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
They have come up really well and not polished too much that they look bling.
Do you set them up and balance them yourself?

·
Administrator
26,882 Posts
They have come up really well and nit polished too much that they look too bling.
Do you set them up and balance them yourself?
Balance SU’s ... you’re having a laugh.😀

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Yes.
Got the air flow meter and colourtune at the ready.

Then choke o-ring was perished so hopefully new rings will help maintain a sense of tune.

They are mechanical devices after all and a human has to ‘balance’ them. What could possibly go wrong?

Someone had a go at painting various bit of the engine so I’m trying to undo that.

Gaskets are cheap but pulling the exhaust manifold is a bitch. If I go that far I may just pull the head and get to converted to unleaded if the cylinder bores look ok.

And swap the cam

And put on a duplex kit.

And rob a bank....

Reactions: Popeye

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
Yes.

Then choke o-ring was perished so hopefully new rings will help maintain a sense of tune.

They are mechanical devices after all and a human has to ‘balance’ them. What could possibly go wrong?

Someone had a go at painting various bit of the engine so I’m trying to undo that.

Gaskets are cheap but pulling the exhaust manifold is a bitch. If I go that far I may just pull the head and get to converted to unleaded if the cylinder bores look ok.

And swap the cam

And put on a duplex kit.

And rob a bank....
The old Gunsons Colourtune, brings back memories

·
Administrator
26,882 Posts
It is achievable, but they won’t stay that way 😁
You have to pick which rpm you want them balanced at - everywhere else in the rev range is unbalanced.

·
Administrator
26,882 Posts
Yes.

And swap the cam

And put on a duplex kit.

And rob a bank....
Not tempted to fit a 45DCOE Weber (or two)?

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
Tempted but not that flush

I did find a supercharger kit at twice the value of the car .....

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Good to see you're still at it Steve, keep it up

Sent from BLUE heaven using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
You have to pick which rpm you want them balanced at - everywhere else in the rev range is unbalanced.
That’s an easy one, WOT it is 😁

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts

·
Administrator
28,515 Posts
Gunsons colourtune is NBG with unleaded..............same as "reading" spark plug colours.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
I’d imagine if I can work out what colour gives best results then it is still of use.

The blue colour is likely incorrect with the advent of ethanol and the chemical changes in unleaded fuel. That will probably produce a weak mixture when blue. A level of orange may well be correct.

361 - 380 of 407 Posts