Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 2013 (13) - Jaguar XF 2.2 D PREMIUM LUXURY 4d 200 BHP Auto 4-Door Saloon and have the following message come up on my dash...."SMART KEY BATTERY LOW" I thought it meant that the battery in my fob was running low so I fitted a new one ( CR2032 ) but the message is still there. Is there a way I can get rid of this message or have I interpreted the message wrongly? Also does anyone know where I can get a list of the faults which may appear on the dash and what they mean? Love the car to bits.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yep, you've interpreted it properly.

Try another battery from a reputable source, often ebay specials are complete garbage.

If it was from a decent source, then I'd say possibly a glitch and id then try a car battery disconnect to try and reset it. Failing that, you'd need a decent code reader to see if there's another fault somewhere.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Use a Duracell battery in the fob. Other brands last no time at all.

Try holding the fob near to the fob slot on the lower right side of the dash once you’ve changed the battery to get the car to ‘see’ it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAVENN and Shrek

·
Registered
847 Posts
Only Energizer Lithium worked for me. Any other I tried, the message was there or back after a few days. They have a ultimate lithium version as well which I only learned about after I bought normal ones 4months ago and no problem so far. I bought mine online but superstores and argos sell both versions.
coin batteries seems to be rated based on a number of hours they can supply a low constant current. Jag needs high current for a short time when you press the button. I cannot remember the term but you need one that can cope with those pulse loads.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Another vote for Duracell. Fixed my low battery message straight away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. Have ordered a couple of Duracell batteries off e-bay with a 2029 date stamp on them. Once again many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,029 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. Have ordered a couple of Duracell batteries off e-bay with a 2029 date stamp on them. Once again many thanks.
Duracell off ebay aren’t always genuine (sadly) Tesco sell them and much more likely to be the real deal.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,916 Posts
Duracell off ebay aren’t always genuine (sadly) Tesco sell them and much more likely to be the real deal.
only much more likely?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting comments!
I had the same thing happen on a 'weekend away', so on arrival at my destination I nipped to a local Poundland, purchased a pack of 8 Kodak CR's for the princely sum of £1, fitted one in the fob, screen message disappeared, and fob still going strong months later.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Interesting comments!
I had the same thing happen on a 'weekend away', so on arrival at my destination I nipped to a local Poundland, purchased a pack of 8 Kodak CR's for the princely sum of £1, fitted one in the fob, screen message disappeared, and fob still going strong months later.
I tried exactly them before I know battery quality is important. None of those 8 lasted more than 1week. I have to add that if you use fob 1-2 times a day only you might be fine for a little longer. Otherwise You should have bought a lotto ticket that day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts