Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just putting out feelers to anyone who might have a Meridian Surround amplifier in their possession that went a different direction and removed it. I am trying to troubleshoot my system and would like to borrow if possible or rent it briefly from you just to compare mine against a known good unit to see if mine is having an issue I suspect. The amp in my 2020 F-type has the Prem 16 yellow sticker on the amp with a build ref number KX53-19C164-CB also on the sticker.

I could purchase one off ebay but the car is new and if I can identify the amp as the issue it would be covered under warranty. You probably ask why not just let dealer fix, the answer is all they seem to know how to do is software updates and I want to have this fixed next visit. I need definitive info for them for the next service visit and they don't keep these amps in stock to swap out for testing.

If you can help out with this please let me know asap and I will pay for the shipping to and back yo you as well as a rental fee if need be. US Preferably.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,621 Posts
I am just putting out feelers to anyone who might have a Meridian Surround amplifier in their possession that went a different direction and removed it. I am trying to troubleshoot my system and would like to borrow if possible or rent it briefly from you just to compare mine against a known good unit to see if mine is having an issue I suspect. The amp in my 2020 F-type has the Prem 16 yellow sticker on the amp with a build ref number KX53-19C164-CB also on the sticker.

I could purchase one off ebay but the car is new and if I can identify the amp as the issue it would be covered under warranty. You probably ask why not just let dealer fix, the answer is all they seem to know how to do is software updates and I want to have this fixed next visit. I need definitive info for them for the next service visit and they don't keep these amps in stock to swap out for testing.

If you can help out with this please let me know asap and I will pay for the shipping to and back yo you as well as a rental fee if need be. US Preferably.
What is the issue? I have repaired one on my MY12 which has a similar if not the same hardware.

In UK you could buy one for test and have 2-4weeks to return it if didn’t help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted a known good unit to swap in to verify if the rear subs and rear fill channels were damaged in the amp or if having the Meridian 380 configuration files installed on a Meridian Surround 770 hardware was causing the issue. My car was built with the 770 system but it has 380 configuration file installed.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just wanted a known good unit to swap in to verify if the rear subs and rear fill channels were damaged in the amp or if having the Meridian 380 configuration files installed on a Meridian Surround 770 hardware was causing the issue. My car was built with the 770 system but it has 380 configuration file installed.
All amps are the same in hardware. It has 16 channel of analogue amplifier. A DSP processor that sends digital data to two chips. Each controlling 8ch and convert digital sound to analogue. Some elements are missing on pcb for High or base system. Meridian, B&W or H/K they only design the speakers and the DSP coding. The rest are the same.
Perm-16: everything is installed.
High-12: All digital components are installed but 4 analogue channel circuit are missing.
Base-8: only one side of pcb is assembled. That’s half of digital and analogue elements.

the firmware for each system is different and limited by hardware. You cannot flash a High AAM with Prem AAM or the other way. Therefore you cannot upgrade or downgrade the AAM unless you can hack the code on the DSP or find another way to flash it.

However, as mentioned above, there is a transition from digital to analogue that is very easy to use and feed into an external amp.

that aside I had exactly same issue. To check this, change the fader all the way to the rear. If you cannot hear anything, you have the same problem I had. The chip that converts second 8ch of digital audio to analogue is gone. That covers all surrounding speakers like parcel shelf, centre dash, two subwoofers and two top ones on front doors. I replaced that it worked. Mine has 1200w B&W.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All amps are the same in hardware. It has 16 channel of analogue amplifier. A DSP processor that sends digital data to two chips. Each controlling 8ch and convert digital sound to analogue. Some elements are missing on pcb for High or base system. Meridian, B&W or H/K they only design the speakers and the DSP coding. The rest are the same.
Perm-16: everything is installed.
High-12: All digital components are installed but 4 analogue channel circuit are missing.
Base-8: only one side of pcb is assembled. That’s half of digital and analogue elements.

the firmware for each system is different and limited by hardware. You cannot flash a High AAM with Prem AAM or the other way. Therefore you cannot upgrade or downgrade the AAM unless you can hack the code on the DSP or find another way to flash it.

However, as mentioned above, there is a transition from digital to analogue that is very easy to use and feed into an external amp.

that aside I had exactly same issue. To check this, change the fader all the way to the rear. If you cannot hear anything, you have the same problem I had. The chip that converts second 8ch of digital audio to analogue is gone. That covers all surrounding speakers like parcel shelf, centre dash, two subwoofers and two top ones on front doors. I replaced that it worked. Mine has 1200w B&W.
Thanks for the info, sound like you have some expertise with the meridian electronics. I have confirmed that the amplifier part number in my car is the T2R35663. According to Jaguar that is the Meridian Surround amplifier. So are you saying that it would not be possible to load firmware for the 380 system on my car? If so I should be seeing surround controls on the ICT Pro head unit I would assume which I do not. In addition to almost non-existant sub base from the rear woofers. Running a 50 Hz test tone once the head unit level reaches 4 you can hear distortion coming from the rear subs on both sides. The highest AC voltage on the sub channels never gets above .8 VAC with the volume all the way to 40. Aditionally the rear fill speakers are totally silent until you fade backwards about 3 steps and that all of the sudden come on. My car also has the center dash speaker, totally not operational.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not familiar with new part numbers for AAM or ICT system. If it says Prem-16 that is yellow tag you only can flash it with 770W or 825W system. If it has a blue high-12 you could flash it only to 380W.
We need to change CCF file to define what hardware is available. Then SDD will flash the correct firmware. There are two files that will be flashed. A firmware and another one is called calibration file. Firmware is the processor code but calibration defines fine tunes for each specific model depending on where speakers on and their power,etc.

to clarify, your come came with a Prem-16 audio amo from factory but you cannot see surround system settings?If yes, you car “probably” came with meridian sound system that is 380W and someone replaced the amp with a prem-16.
Alternatively your head unit is replaced and is not flashed.
when you change CCF for Meridian “Surround” sound system, and flash the head unit, options will be added.
380W doesn’t come with a subwoofer. Subwoofer is under spare tyre on x250. Voltage is 6V when nothing is played. AC voltage can go up to 2 or 4 Volts IIRC.
If audio is distorted either the calibration file is wrong (like the amp came from another model) or speakers are base instead of meridian. I seriously doubt hardware issues. Hardware issue on analogue part would affect up to 4 speakers. On digital side, multiples of 8.
Then disconnect one of two speakers connector at the back of AAM. One should be for surround speakers only and makes diagnose easier. SDD can check speakers using phone mic as well. Sound on My B&W 1200W is not distorted at all even if I go all he way up to Vol 60. DSP could make high pitch noises from parcel shelf speakers if I switch on the surround and play an old/low quality audio.

check these id you haven’t already:

This is not an XF , it's a 2020 F-Type off the showroom floor. Both the Meridian 380 and 770 F-type systems come with subs behind the seat. MoJo88 pluged in my vin and said for some reason this Car was spec'd as Meridian 380, Built as Meridian Surround, and configured as Meridian 380 according to Topix.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This is not an XF , it's a 2020 F-Type off the showroom floor. Both the Meridian 380 and 770 F-type systems come with subs behind the seat. MoJo88 pluged in my vin and said for some reason this Car was spec'd as Meridian 380, Built as Meridian Surround, and configured as Meridian 380 according to Topix.
Yes. Sorry I realised that after posting and edited that which was late obviously. I had a look on below brochureand it’s more clear.

and then this one:

First your AAM is the same used in XF and F-Pace with 17speakers. So yes you could potentially add another 5speakers to your car. If car has a centre dash speaker and subwoofer( an independent subwoofer in the boot. Not two smaller ones in cabin), it is 770W. Otherwise you have 380W which if it is the case you can upgrade to 770W by adding hardware and editing CCF because you have a correct amp.

Now if you change the fader all the way forward you should hear only centre speaker. Or disconnect first of 2 speaker connector (the one with more wires) from AAM, you should hear centre dash and sub and two rear speakers. Regardless of loudness.
That’s just to rule out AAM is damaged.
what you described about sub voltages and behaviour of rear speakers, I agree that calibration file is wrong. Maybe th channel dedicated for sun in F-Type is for a tweeter on XF that it calibration file from Could be that they replaced AAM from another car with 380W system. It as simple as updating the module and it will flash correct calibration file. I think the car is still in warranty? So just ask them for an update. Otherwise it could be done using PF or SDD(?)

380W system has different part number (second character from end is B instead of C) and labeled as High-12. You cannot flash FW for 380 on 770w on vice versa. You could swap the calibration though.

if you just check you have centre dash and sub in the boot you know what system you have on your car. Once it’s confirmed check functionality as mentioned above. Then you know the next step.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts