Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all thought i would join as plan on getting a xfr in the near future

I currently drive a BMW 535d (e60) and looking to go back to petrol and always liked the XF shape even if im told its an old mans car :):D

Is there anything to look out for on the XF's? in the v8 5l S/C version

Thanks all

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Any strange noises from the engine after a cold start or left for 1/2 hour. They can suffer chain tensioner issues. More have it than they realise. Less common are the rear inlet tappets. Mine suffered with both. The latter knackers the head so listen for a tappet noise over the regular injector noise. It will also come and go as the tappet rotates. Water pumps were an issue on early ones. But they can go on to do very high mileages.

Classic shapes were all 6 speed boxes. Facelift started out with 6 speed and moved to 8 speed in my2013. 8 speed is a better box. Other than that, the youngest ones are now 5 years old, so normal stuff for a near 2-tonne car of that age. Higher mileage ones will need suspension bits looked at. Boot seal or rear lights can leak. Tyre pressure sensors can fail. If the screen has been replaced badly it can leak. Some say they’re heavy on brakes, yet I’ve never found that. Michelin MPS4S are the tyre of choice for grip (given the power) and longevity (given the power).

But for all that, they are a lovely drive both when taking it easy, or pressing on. Still a remarkable chassis. If it doesn’t have one, then Spires rear boxes transform the noise. There’s a link on my signature to a video to prove that :D

·
17,724 Posts
Welcome Kyle,

try it, and you may see why so many people love the XFR.

Nothing old man about it in the slightest.

Jags from the Y2K and before - maybe, but not todays offerings.

Very much up to date, and very much able to compete with the best ze germans can offer, if not better in some regards.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Hello & welcome, good advice above.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Any strange noises from the engine after a cold start or left for 1/2 hour. They can suffer chain tensioner issues. More have it than they realise. Less common are the rear inlet tappets. Mine suffered with both. The latter knackers the head so listen for a tappet noise over the regular injector noise. It will also come and go as the tappet rotates. Water pumps were an issue on early ones. But they can go on to do very high mileages.

Classic shapes were all 6 speed boxes. Facelift started out with 6 speed and moved to 8 speed in my2013. 8 speed is a better box. Other than that, the youngest ones are now 5 years old, so normal stuff for a near 2-tonne car of that age. Higher mileage ones will need suspension bits looked at. Boot seal or rear lights can leak. Tyre pressure sensors can fail. If the screen has been replaced badly it can leak. Some say they’re heavy on brakes, yet I’ve never found that. Michelin MPS4S are the tyre of choice for grip (given the power) and longevity (given the power).

But for all that, they are a lovely drive both when taking it easy, or pressing on. Still a remarkable chassis. If it doesn’t have one, then Spires rear boxes transform the noise. There’s a link on my signature to a video to prove that :D

Wow that noise is amazeballs . Even the gravel sounds crunchy and fresh.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum and soon to be V8 club! I have been driving XFRs for 8 years and still loving it. Neill has done a good summary of issues to look out for, but so far (touch wood) I have only had minor TPMS issues. That is 15,000 miles in a MY11 (6 speed) and 40,000 miles in a MY15 one I have owned from new. Like Neill, I have Michelin Pilot 4S and a Spires exhaust (fitted from new) and it totally changes the sound, without any drone.
If you take one for a test drive, prepare to be swept away by the relentless pull, (especially mid band) and docile handling when pootleing around. Provoke the throttle though and she does a Jekyll and Hyde transformation! Good hunting, hope you find a good one. Try to get as late a model as you can, seems to be more reliable, but the V8 timing chain tensioner issue can happen any model. The secret seems to be regular oil changes (7,500 miles) instead of the 16,000 service interval quoted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all thanks for the warm welcome and advise still looking for the right one but hopefully soon.

ive been looking at doing the supercharger pulley and cold air feed feed with cone filters done properly with shielding to eliminate heat soak a worthwhile mod to do?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Speak to the guys at Spires in Leamington regarding tuning..they are the experts regarding mapping, exhausts etc

Check for water in the boot under the battery and in the well where the sub goes, there are a pair of vents in the side of the boot that can leak.

Also look for any wierd electrical faults..the washer fluid level sensor can fail and fill the wiring loom with water which ends up in the front control module causing random faults..on mine the running lights stayed on permanently with the ignition off...and it ain't a cheap fix..

Other than that it's a great car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts