Jaguar Forum banner

Libre wheel centre caps

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  cutlea01 
#1 ·
The XF 250 that I'm buying has 17" Jaguar Libre Alloy Wheels fitted at the moment and I will have to live with them for a while and the centre caps are not to my taste so I want to fit some new ones. Does anyone know what the size of the centre cap is for this wheel style please so that I can get them before the car is acquired? I still have a couple of weeks yet. Thanks

#2 ·
The Jaguar centre caps should all be the same size, 58mm. There's loads of after-market versions available, just be cautious you don't pay over the odds for them. Many are also listed as genuine, which they are not. They are also often a loose fit, easily cured with a few layers of insulation tape over the lugs, just put a few turns on them.

#3 ·
Hi Cutlea01,

Thanks again so for responding and for the information. I will have a look and see what 58mm are available then. There are several sizes on eBay so I wasn't sure which to believe. I would like some Red ones but I'm also wondering if they would fade.

#4 ·
The cheap aftermarket ones will fade, however a good coat of rattle can lacquer (actually a couple thin and one thick-ish) will be enough UV protection to keep them fade free for a good few years. Plus they're cheap enough anyway.

#5 ·
The cheap aftermarket ones will fade, however a good coat of rattle can lacquer (actually a couple thin and one thick-ish) will be enough UV protection to keep them fade free for a good few years. Plus they're cheap enough anyway.
Or clear nail polish [emoji6]

Sent from BLUE heaven using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Thanks, some good suggestions there. I bought a couple of Arden Red Grill Badges a few years ago when I had my S Type, not both at the same time and they were not cheap, bought from Adamesh and they both faded quite badly. I think this is the problem with Red. Not a lot to lose by trying the Red caps and using something to put a protective coating on them like you've said, cheers.

#8 ·
Ah yes, I bought a red front badge, not from Adamesh as I expect that wasn't cheap! My Classic XF had the smaller black grill badge and I fancied red. The first one went pink quite quickly, so I bought another, took it to bits and lacquered the red part, still fine today.

#10 ·
I bought some of the ebay ones, and they really are an insult to the word pish. The postman helped me fit them, as he leaves elastic bands all over the bliddy street. The hubs were such a rattling good fit that a couple of lakky bands were placed round the tabs......sorted. Never thought of a clear coat of lacquer....they have faded in less than a year of low Covidicial mileage. They are Far East Tat. Avoid.

#11 ·
Hence the couple layers of PVC insulation tape the keep them snug and a coat of lacquer to stop the fade. At £9 a set you can't expect the highest quality and you've not exactly lost much if you don't like. A single genuine Jaguar cap is over £40 I believe from a dealer. So £9/set and a bit of work, or £160/set and they're perfect? The lacquered cheap ones have been on my XFS now for 2 years, not lost one and they've not faded nor has the lacquer come off. Oh, and they say Made In Italy on the back, now whereabouts is Italy, China, I wonder?

#12 · (Edited)
Finally got a Glasgow furniture retailer to admit Natuzzi, that famous Italian brand, was made in China. When injection moulding, Made in Italy can be changed to made in England quite cheaply, albeit the varnishing bit makes sense. Only recently, somebody tried to sell me a better quality Bosch drill, coz it was made in Germany.....! Oh how we laughed.....! Him been watching too many war films......!
As a further aside, now regularly getting Mumbai sellers who show up as 0131/0141 codes......Edinburgh and Glasgow codes.....same thing.....all not what appears to be. Wish site now selling Callaway branded golf clubs. Lol.....nae conscience......lol.

Reactions: OBC John
#13 ·
Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's rubbish. Quality can vary from complete unusable junk to some of the highest, most respected products we all use. This brand new M1 chip Apple MacBook Air I'm currently typing on, which for a lappie, wasn't cheap, says "Assembled in China" on the back 😀

#14 ·
Absolutely agree, and the reason very expensive golf clubs state “assembled in the USA”, coz the component parts come from That China, probably including Trump’s own set....lol. One of the main problems in quality though is STEEL......we Brits STILL do that best. China sneaking in bean tins to the mix......

#15 ·
Is there still a British steel industry? I thought the last of it shut to India? Tata being the worlds biggest steel producer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.