Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 2.2 Diesel XF 2014 seems to have a small leak somewhere. Please see pictures. Any ideas on what the issue could be? It has been on a long drive over the weekend and noticed this yesterday.

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
I think you're going to have to remove the undertray to identify the source. That big lump with the big hose in the second photo is the intercooler but I can't think why there would be oil in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine oil is showing as full. The coolant is pictured below. Is this level acceptable? I mus admit I do not check the coolant levels often. It had a full service and Mot around 3 months ago. The engine is cold currently

·
Registered
847 Posts
From these two photos it looks like a coolant leak. Try to wash it of with water. If it goes it’s coolant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What should I wash with water please? The bottle or the car itself? The leak is brown and oily looking, different to the coolant colour. I just took the car for a drive and the Coolant level rose to just over halfway between the two lines. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The level will rise, it is called an expansion tank, when the water gets hot it expands and flows back to the expansion tank, if this wasn't in the system it would probably blow your hoses. Phil

·
Registered
847 Posts
I meant to wash what is visible in your post #1. Coolant is orange/red but it will oxidise the metals and becomes brown. Plus it almost never dries. Leaves something like a gel behind. If you touch it you can tell if it’s oil or coolant. Have you topped up the coolant recently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never topped my coolant up, I have had the car for around 18 months. I had a service and Mot four months ago, I assumed this is something they check/top up? I have touched it and it seems like oil, its not like a gel and it had no/low odour. Would coolant have a noticeable smell?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
That coolant level is what I would class as bordering on too low, although not enough to cause any damage.

I'd certainly top it up for now, cold and monitor the coolant level. As it's low, it would suggest it's a coolant leak, but could easily be a pinhole leak that's spraying out under pressure.

It's not a 1970s Austin, there shouldn't be any leaks so I'd get it checked regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem, thank you for the advice. Should I top the coolant with plain water for now? Or what coolant should I use? It's booked in with the garage, but it's a little wait to get it in.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
A little de-ionised water in the expansion tank to get it to halfway between min and max. Shouldn't affect the mix too much.
If you're buying coolant (antifreeze) make sure and get the same colour as they vary and different colours are for different types of engines.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would recommend to set the heating max as well before toping up just in case any air trapped there. coolant does not have a strong smell and it doesn’t feel oily. Engine oil on the other hand will be much darker that that. In photos it looks fresh. I would keep an eye on it. Maybe you just started to loose coolant.

I am also wondering if you have any issues with A/C? Does it work? Could it be AC oil? I would be surprised if it is though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I experienced the same issue in my 2014 x250 XF :( Everything documented here Help 2014 Jaguar XF Leak found Driver side
The leak was from the intercooler hose joint as you pointed out in the picture above. Apparently it was common in pre-facelifts and some facelifts. The bolt at the hose joint seems to come undone and oil (engine oil) leaks from there and hence the leak.

I took it to a dealership as mine was still on warranty and they charged £75 (for spending 1 hr on the car) for simply tightening the bolt and cleaning the area around it. I wanted them to change the gasket at the joint and add new bolts etc. There was a bulletin back in the days to fix this issue (again all documented in the thread).

If I was you replace the parts where the leak appeared. It may not be required but will be precautionary imo. These are the parts required from the service bulletin.
1. C2Z11678 x2 - Gasket
2. C2D4727 x2 - Bolt / washer
3. C2D2734 x2 - Bolt
4. C2P2765 x2 - Nut

1 - 14 of 14 Posts