Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening guys.

OK so I haven't had my XF long and it came with 2 keys, but one of them looks like it's been glued a few times and it's bust open at the top.

Today I tried the second key and it worked but it took a few presses.

I have had a look on evilbay and seen a replacement outer case for as little as £5.98

Is it really as easy as pop mine open and swap the internal parts over from one shell to another?

Also with regards to the battery, am I ok to just replace that or will I end up needing it coding if I take the battery out?

Many thanks.

Oh some pics of my second key:

Snow Eyewear Eye glass accessory Rectangle Everyday carry

Car alarm Communication Device Gadget Grey Telephony

Mobile phone Snow Communication Device Portable communications device Bumper

I'd rather address this now because if I lose my primary key and I am left with only this one I could find myself in a mess.

· Registered
11,064 Posts
...Is it really as easy as pop mine open and swap the internal parts over from one shell to another?...
Yes..
...Also with regards to the battery, am I ok to just replace that or will I end up needing it coding if I take the battery out?...
Yes, jut replace it.. but make sure that you buy Duracell, and from a reputable source, i.e. a local supermarket and not fleabay!

Reactions: ErosXF

· Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,743 Posts
Get a genuine Jaguar keyfob outer shell, much better quality than the Chinese made Ebay items, and not exactly expensive. Simply swap all your original bits over.

· Registered
405 Posts
As above, the genuine key parts from Jaguar are cheap and easily available. I did buy a rubber jacket for the key from China and it is really pretty good and gives a bit of protection for the key in your pocket.

· Registered
487 Posts
I know there's a few threads about keys already so I thought I might as well tag onto this one rather than start another similar one.

I need a replacement spare key fob for the 2010MY XF. I still have one that works but I've totalled the second one (broken circuit board). I'll go the dealer route for a replacement case as both cases are knackered, but what's the best option to replace the workings without having to pay the absurd price for a new one? It's only a back up key after all so might never even get used

I assume anything I buy will need to be programmed. Had a quick look on ebay but prices vary tremendously, and some say you can't reprogramme a used key yet there are plenty for sale. Also note that different frequencies are mentioned, 433/434MHz and 315MHz if I remember correctly, so how do I know which one I need?

· Registered
25,010 Posts
Have a look at this. I think that Timpsons do this as well. As yours is an older model, they may be able to help.

· Registered
487 Posts
Thanks, there's a Timpsons in the store just half a mile away so I'll drop in and ask them tomorrow. I'm more or less going that way anyway.

· Registered
11,064 Posts
Reactions: Coolcity

· Registered
487 Posts
Incidentally, do I need the older shape one with the two chrome strips down the sides, same as my current one, or are the newer shape ones (as in the photos earlier in the thread) just the same internally? I'm thinking about the emergency key blade fitting into it more than anything else.

Also, does anybody know about the frequency? I'm guessing 433MHz as that seems to be the most common, but knowing my luck...

· Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
14,100 Posts
Incidentally, do I need the older shape one with the two chrome strips down the sides, same as my current one, or are the newer shape ones (as in the photos earlier in the thread) just the same internally? I'm thinking about the emergency key blade fitting into it more than anything else.

Also, does anybody know about the frequency? I'm guessing 433MHz as that seems to be the most common, but knowing my luck...
Have a look in your manual for radio frequency conformity, but yeah pretty sure it’s 433MHz

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Hi, I would stick with the type of case you have now, there are some locksmiths that have the ability to program keys now, might be worth asking around. I would avoid getting fob parts from China, I tried these and the quality and fit was next to useless. Look here the genuine parts are cheap enough. Phil

· Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
14,100 Posts
I think I might have my old X250 fob.

Reactions: OBC John

· Registered
487 Posts
Hi, I would stick with the type of case you have now, there are some locksmiths that have the ability to program keys now, might be worth asking around. I would avoid getting fob parts from China, I tried these and the quality and fit was next to useless. Look here the genuine parts are cheap enough. Phil
I think those are pretty expensive to be honest. £27.50 for the top, bottom and chrome side bits? Seems a lot for an empty case, then you still need to buy the actual transmitter and get it programmed.

Neither of mine are in a good state so I'd like to buy two cases, one for each key, but still need to replace and program the transmitter for the second one as well.

· Registered
11,064 Posts
:LOL: Never did get around to watching that.
😱.. If ever you do, once you have watched it all be sure to watch the 'intro' part again.. it all makes much more sense and falls into place then, quite clever but you don't realise why until you've seen the rest of the film. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it, and funnily enough watched it again only a couple of weeks ago..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts