Jaguar Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Don't dismiss it too hastily. You're never going to earn real money working for someone else. Become your own boss!
I'm not dismissing entirely but it doesn't quite appeal to me, today
but the money I've earned to date was definitely real...
as noted, in another parish, I'm 'that' far off taking very early retirement ....now that does appeal but madame may have other ideas.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I suspect that the call may be for me to consider being an agent.
I've had a few requests already.

I've dismissed it BUT with a few onboard it may be worthwhile.
Ooh secret agent maybe , we have a selection of moustaches , tinted sunglasses and prosthetics if you need any equipment, Good things going well Dave !

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ooh secret agent maybe , we have a selection of moustaches , tinted sunglasses and prosthetics if you need any equipment, Good things going well Dave !
agent provocateur as the Dutch say...

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Reactions: PeteA

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
1hr on the phone with a Co who spotted a post of mine on big boy's Facebook.
Looks an interesting job but it seems that they have had a rough time and a fresh pair of eyes is needed
in 2 weeks I'll be making a presentation on how I can open up new business for them, based on their portfolio.
If that goes well, we go to a formal offer...

As far as I can see, I'm in a shortlist of one.

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
All good news Dave, just make sure that whatever offer you take up, it is truly what you want to do, with people you like.

And remember that if they bring you in to fix a specific issue, you might be better off as a consultant rather than a permy, as once the issue is fixed, they could well decide you are no longer necessary, and on a CV, you can spin such a consultancy role far better than a 1 year "permanent" employment.
And of course it is dead simple to set up your own Ltd Co and be an employee of that, and pay tax on divis rather than PAYE. And there are ways around IR35 if you do decide to do that.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
All good news Dave, just make sure that whatever offer you take up, it is truly what you want to do, with people you like.
The first outfit I know very well and I would be biggish fish in the pond.

The 2nd are unknown but my potential gaffer is very good mates with the chap who posted the attached on big boy's facebook.
I rang him after the convo and he said that I should get on very well with both him and the Co.

And remember that if they bring you in to fix a specific issue, you might be better off as a consultant rather than a permy, as once the issue is fixed, they could well decide you are no longer necessary, and on a CV, you can spin such a consultancy role far better than a 1 year "permanent" employment.
An excellent point. Both jobs will take a long time to correct, with the first relying on me being able to get in at the beginning of a project and being able to come up with products from scratch
Having worked for 3 ( in essence 2 ) employers over the past 25yrs+, if my CV sees a bit more action in it's last 5 (max) so be it.
And of course it is dead simple to set up your own Ltd Co and be an employee of that, and pay tax on divis rather than PAYE. And there are ways around IR35 if you do decide to do that.
This certainly doable..

some excellent points, Wilf, which I've addressed in the post...and I've included a cat based tweet for added value.

Attachments

Reactions: MyIRRCat

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Totally agree with Wilf on setting up your own company. I did mine back in 2010. I then worked for 6 different companies, before hibernating the company for three years (when I joined UltraSoC was VP Worldwide Sales). It was easy to wake up in 2019 to consult again. More flexibility in difficult times, as well as picking and choosing how many hours to commit each week/month. I do between 40-50% of the working week and get paid well. I have also improved work/life balance, which has helped mentally and with my health.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Good luck Dave and sage advise Wilf.. (y)

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Good luck Dave and sage advise Wilf.. (y)

most kind and yes I do appreciate Wilf's ( and all advice).
A guy not a mate per se but I know him quite well has also finished his latest contract and was considering his options.
If I was him I'd take the job offer of £1k a day, full housing expenses, security detail etc in sunny Basra.

What's not to like?

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
things are developing nicely.
With a fair wind, I may have less time on my hands from November....

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Wishing you luck Dave.. (y)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
things are developing nicely.
With a fair wind, I may have less time on my hands from November....
Good news in bad times. Nice one.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Good to hear Dave.
Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 77 of 77 Posts