Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I love AJ Bell's platform and their customer service has been excellent as well.

Scottish Mortgage has been a fantastic performer as have a few Polar Capital tech funds, although tech seems to have taken a bit of a tumble at the end of last week, perhaps a little to many were overvalued and things are settling.

I've got some healthcare waiting in the wings, usually fairly steady growth but also hoping for a little flurry if a vaccine comes out and I'll cream off some profit and invest elsewhere.

I used to have a managed pension fund, bloody useless so moved it into a SIPP and never looked back.
Pretty much my experience Graham and managing your own funds can and often does have its rewards but occasionally it gives you sleepless nights as was the case just last week when tens of thousands was wiped off the portfolio overnight. To my mind it is your attitude to short term risk that plays no small part in all this. As they say fortune favours the brave and I'm a great believer what goes down will eventually go up providing you had a sure footing to start with. Just need to be wary of speculative investments or at least be prepared to accept potential losses. Been there, done it and still take a chance now and then.

Best thing about paying into a pension is the tax relief while you are working and I often ask friends where they think they can get an assured 20 or 40% return on their money.

Drawdown would always be my primary choice but an annuity can and does have its role to play as a belt and braces approach. Also I am less inclined to take a tax free lump sum if ones funds are solid performers. Basically the tax man doesn't like you if you try and re-invest those funds albeit of course the good lady wouldn't have those problems :whistle:

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
First chat with the IFA.
He suggested that I'm none too shabby but should consider pulling a few of the little pensions into one pot.
We discussed the DB pension, the last value statement suggested a CETV of about 17X annual.
This is way below the usual market value but is still worth consideration.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look very carefully at the DB pension and remember it is a guaranteed sum. They are usually the best pension you can get.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Look very carefully at the DB pension and remember it is a guaranteed sum. They are usually the best pension you can get.

totally understand but Deb's will only get 50% on my death..and I could croak at 65 and one day.
The other option is to pull the lump at 65 y.o and take a reduced but tidy pension.

In the meantime, I've had a recruitment agency on.
I wasnt a great fit for the placement he had in mind.
He then mentioned XYZ Co and had I heard of them?
(They are waiting to get a position signed off....)

Yep, a damn good mate ( ex HW) heads up the product management team in GE.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Pretty much my experience Graham and managing your own funds can and often does have its rewards but occasionally it gives you sleepless nights as was the case just last week when tens of thousands was wiped off the portfolio overnight. To my mind it is your attitude to short term risk that plays no small part in all this. As they say fortune favours the brave and I'm a great believer what goes down will eventually go up providing you had a sure footing to start with. Just need to be wary of speculative investments or at least be prepared to accept potential losses. Been there, done it and still take a chance now and then.

Best thing about paying into a pension is the tax relief while you are working and I often ask friends where they think they can get an assured 20 or 40% return on their money.

Drawdown would always be my primary choice but an annuity can and does have its role to play as a belt and braces approach. Also I am less inclined to take a tax free lump sum if ones funds are solid performers. Basically the tax man doesn't like you if you try and re-invest those funds albeit of course the good lady wouldn't have those problems :whistle:
On the 20/40% hence why I had 20% of my salary pumped into a pension and 5% ( max) into Co shares.
With the shares in USD, I had an extra benefit or risk dependant on the exchange rates.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

Aye it was a bit of a bummer to see the sudden drop, especially in the tech funds. But looking carefully I can see that they are indeed somewhat overvalued, but the general trend does suggest that it won't take long for them to get back on track. Biotech Growth is my latest punt.

I'm not looking at short term gains though, this is a long play, but I still keep my eye on it daily just in case.

Property is something we've considered, especially as we have some excellent in-demand rental areas nearby and in most cases with careful selection of location it will always be a growing asset, just need to be careful with tax for when my time comes.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
had a top notch CV created, which I sent round to the MDs of Cos I know in 'my' and adjacent industries
I knew that they may not be hiring, I did it for feedback .
The responses were humbling and very positive.
One ended up on the desk of the VP of a multi billion $ organisation (the Co that approached me 2 years back).
This resulted in a 1hr phonecall yesterday.
To be clear, the current economic situation suggests that increasing headcount would be difficult. I was asked to send a response in, countering that viewpoint .
I await their response.

I've also applied for 10 positions , including working in an Amazon warehouse ( im backing out of that 😄) and registered with 5 agencies.
They are running at 20% of capacity, in terms of vacancies coming through .
it'll get much worse very soon.

I leave my current employer on Weds.
The process has been quite easy.
My solicitor was quite impressed with the offer ( it's effectively a warranty against this and that) especially the enhanced contribution.

They have dropped a massive bollock though.
Something that will come out once all due payments are safely banked.

Reactions: Rigger and PeteA

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Good luck matey.. (y)

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Best of luck!

·
18,708 Posts
Good luck Dave - sounds like your previous employer to be has done a major oversight - something I'm guessing you'll tell them about on Thursday :)

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
chortle
They will get wind of the cataclysmic dropped bollock if /when I stuff a post on big boy's Facebook about enjoying being back with my OEMs...

Seems like my response was exactly what they wanted/needed to read....the ball is in their court.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
most kind.
The settlement mentions property.
so I'm just putting back 20 yrs worth of docs, mails and other cack .
Typically, the laptops are wiped on receipt...but if anyone wants to trawl through them , best of luck.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
1 hr today with the TD and PD of a Co who have expressed interest before.
It was in follow up to a report I put to them.
The upshot is that they require a sign off but needed extra ammunition.

later on I received a message that a fittings outfit want a word , that's booked in for 10am tomorrow.

I became unemployed at 5pm last night...

Reactions: PeteA and MyIRRCat

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Things looking up then Dave, nice to be wanted, best of luck whoever ‘gets’ you!

Reactions: PeteA and DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Things looking up then Dave, nice to be wanted, best of luck whoever ‘gets’ you!
I suspect that the call may be for me to consider being an agent.
I've had a few requests already.

I've dismissed it BUT with a few onboard it may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Good news Dave. I'm sure that you have built a good reputation in the industry, so use that to do what floats you boat going forward. Take your time and look at the various opportunities out there and decide what you want to do. Hold your head up and don't be afraid to dictate your terms.
Good people are worth a lot to a business, so play hard to get!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,452 Posts
I suspect that the call may be for me to consider being an agent.
I've had a few requests already.

I've dismissed it BUT with a few onboard it may be worthwhile.
Don't dismiss it too hastily. You're never going to earn real money working for someone else. Become your own boss!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts